RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am no longer a ZR-7 owner. Instead, I now hold the key to this piece of miniature machinery:

Didn't get quite the deal I was hoping for (or the deal I was told over the phone I would get), but it's a done deal now and the 250 is in my shed. I guess now it's time for me to start hunting down some Ninja 250 message boards and get some ideas for track modifications.

I like this little bike, but I already really miss the 750. :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
nice bike

Hey Triple. Nice Ninja. I just recently bought my fiance a 1990 Honda VTR250 for a learning bike. I never knew how fun those little bikes could be. I was trying to convince her to get a Ninja, because they were easier to find at better deals, but she didn't like the colors. :rolleyes: They stopped importing the VTR250's in 1990. Those that still have them know they are worth something because of that. This is what I bought her

I guess keeping the ZR-7 wasn't an option. You should have fun on that 250 though!

I keep playing on the 250 bike more than her! :) I have thought about trying to find myself a ninja 500 to play on. I think the 250 is still pretty small for me at 6'4" 220lbs, but those little things are great. :~ I just have to re-adjust every time I climb back on that massive thing they call a TL1000. I think my TL is over kill for me, since I will never use all that power, but it is still fun!

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Well it's about damn time Triple!!! Finally! I dig it. Of course, you've got to give us some comparos.

Enjoy,

Emrah

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice looking bike Triple, hope you have fun on the little 250, and you won't miss the 750 once you get your Triumph.

I myself backed out on the FZ-1, when it came down to it, it was too similar to the ZR-7S to justify going in debt for it. I may go look at a 2000 R1 this weekend though, 2000 miles, Yosh pipe, $6500. If I can sell the ZR for $4500 I might not be able to pass it up, if the R1 is in good shape.

·
Registered
82 Posts
purdue, that r1 sounds like a great deal. if i could find one like that out here in california i'd take it in a second. with only 2000 miles though you gotta be careful. they could've disconnected the odometer cable really easily. i've heard that it is becoming a popular thing to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bikeguy, I need to go check out the bike first. I don't want a beat up bike, so it needs to be really clean. I also figure if the tires aren't stock, that's not a good thing, and if the tires are stock, and are either squared off or totally shot, I probably will be passing it up. I think the R1 might have a digital odometer on it, I know on cars with digital odometers they have computer checks in case the main one fails, I wonder if the bikes have any type of check, so that it would be possible to determine if the mileage is accurate.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
emrah, I won't be able to give any comparos for a while yet. It has been cold, rainy, and slushy ever since I brought the thing home. It's killing me having to just let the thing sit! It's so small and light, when you climb onto it it's like there isn't even any bike underneath you. I have started it up a few times, though, just to let it warm up, and I really like the sound of it. At idle it sounds like a lawn mower, but give it some gas and it turns into a screaming little gremlin. Throttle response is instantaneous, and revs pick up very fast, faster than the ZR could react, I know for sure. At any rate, I'm dying to flog the thing out on the road.

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
I had a Ninja 250 for my starter bike. I got it for $200....yes, that's right $200. It had been crashed so I had to do some minor work and the insurance company didn't want it, so that's how I got it so cheap. After repairs the bike cost me $1250. What a deal!! And, it looked brand new!!

That little thing ran like a charm and so far with all the Kawasaki's I've had, they simply don't break down! I only got my little Ninja up to 100 a couple times, but that was pushing it and was a new rider, so, I was a little freaked out by the speed at that point.

Good luck with this bike. It's a nice one and I'm sure it's gonna be a lot of fun to race and easy to throw around those corners, draggin' those knees!!! :) WOO HOO :D Have a blast!!!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ninja 250 Specifics

I guess I could give a few details about the new bike. It's a 1999 with only 1600 miles. It runs beautifully, though (like all Kawasaki's) it is very cold blooded. The body work is pretty clean, but there are some gouges in the mirrors (don't know what the previous owner ran into). The bad part is that it looks like whoever owned this thing stored it outside, even through the winter. The exhaust pipes are covered in surface rust and many parts inside the fairing are dusted in a white, salty residue. This powdery stuff comes off, though, so I should be able to clean it up real nice myself. I figured that I wouldn't be using the stock exhaust system, either, so the rusty pipes didn't mean that much to me. All in all, it's a good platform to build on.

Maybe now that all those goofy stickers are taken off, other motorcyclists on the road will take me more seriously... :)

I had three to choose from; a red '98, a black '99, and a green '00. The '98 was in the best overall shape, but it was also the oldest. The '00 had the most miles and looked very shagged. I took the runt in the middle, and besides, the black looks the coolest.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look, my ZR-7 is still for sale, just through Chicago Cycle Center this time.

I think they will have a hard time getting that price, though. Click HERE to check it out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I think a new bike every 12 months is just about right.

That dealer in Chicago has lots of other problem besides the price that he is asking for the ZR-7. They think it's a "Zephyr!":yell: :rolleyes: What is the world coming to...?

Later,

Philip
'00 ZR750F1 AKA "ZR-7" No "Zephyr" in here!!!! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts