RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I am in the process of getting the parts to do the conversion, and the only part I have left to source is the calipers and master. I have the forks from a 2003 636 plus axles and spacers as required. I also picked up the 10mm spacers for the calipers. I know the matching year calipers from the 636 fit, but all the units on ebay right now are crap. What other model calipers will work with stock front rotors on the 636 forks?

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I do not know the complete list but 03-06 636 / 04 - 05 ZX10 as well as other manufactures. I would consider a rebuild kit for them too while you are at it

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK will do. I had purchased a set of "Great Condition" 636 calipers on fleabay only to have them show up and be spray painted gold, and have a lot of rust. THankfully got a full refund. The seller doesnt seem to want them back either. So now I am shopping for a new set, hence the question. It appears a upgrade for the brakes on the 636 was a set of Nissin Calipers from the ZX14. So I have a set of those on order now. Will follow up with the results of that test. From what I understand they are a huge upgrade over the 636 calipers.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Anything you do is an upgrade over the stock Z calipers lol. I would swap in some HH's while you are at it too and the transformation is night and day. Safe to say you are putting new springs in as well?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes. I am going to do a rebuild of the forks with new springs, bushings and seals. I came from a GS500 and went to this bike as my second bike (back in 2005). The brakes on that sucked quite badly so this was a huge improvement. That was until my wife got her ducati and I realized these werent great either. haha

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on the master with the years of parts on you're project but I couldn't use a 2010 zx6 master on my 1st gen z750s, I had interference problems with the lines and the throttle cable so I kept the oem master <---(same on both our bikes) and I used the 2010 calipers. That's an upgrade on what I had <--(z750s only had 2 piston calipers z1000 used 4) but could be way better too, it all depends on what you want. The bolt spacing on any Japanese bike with upside down forks is standard so with the proper spacing you can hang many things on there lol. I'd definitely go for calipers that have only 2 pads per side though I think that's a weakness in my 4 per side setup I can live with the master I have for now maybe I'll change my mind when I go 953 cc s.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning everyone. I thought I would post back about my experience in getting the front forks installed and the calipers (the best part). The front forks were pretty easy to install, I just hung the bike under one of my lifts at my shop. Fairly straight forward. As for the calipers, I ended up picking up and installing the ZX14 calipers. These (from what I have read), are a huge upgrade on the front brakes on the 636. So that tells me they are better then the 636 front brakes. I can tell you I can pinky stop with the new calipers whereas before I had to grab a handful of pazzo. The biggest plus is that the brake lines attach at the top of the caliper instead of the middle like the 636 calipers so you do not have to buy longer lines and can reuse the stock ones. You will however have to use the 10mm spacers still with the 03 04 front end. My wife's Ducati has the brembo brake package and these calipers stop even better then hers (her words not mine). SO in short, stop buying extended brake lines and 636 calipers, just pick up the monoblock ZX14 calipers and youll be all set. Hopefully this helps or saves someone some money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts