RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, I consider myself quite the egotistical tough guy. Big into just about everything manly except football-- love my machines, belch on impulse, refuse to cuddle after sex, the whole deal. But, I'm telling you, if there is anything out there that can make me melt, it's a tiny little puppy like the one you see in this attachment.

I'm a big-time dog lover, and much to my suprise, my best friend showed up at my work this morning unannounced with this little critter in a basket. It makes for one hell of a birthday present, I can't think of anything I would have liked more.

He's a two-week old pitbull male. I posted his picture here for some name suggestions. His crinkled up face led us here at work to the name Winston (as in Churchill). Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Cool Dog..!

Best Regards Team:

"...refuse to cuddle after sex...."

ERIC: You make me laugh so hard after reading your post...! You are the MAN...! Hey that puppy looks so cute..! Me and Ana are dog lovers too...! Maybe 'cause we were unable to have kids :( we love Dogs. Anyway we have always had dogs and we love them! We have a mix Chihuahua, (like the Taco Bell Dog but bigger) her name is "Chili". That Pitbull is going to be a hell of a Guard Dog..! I will suggest: "Killer" for name.

Robert

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, Tammy, I was holding out for a doberman like your's, but my friend showed up with this pit bull and I couldn't resist. The sucky part is that I have to wait another month before I can actually take him home. He has to be 6 weeks old before the breeders will let him leave his mother.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bandaging my doberman's ears was a pain. You will have an easier time with the pit bull. That was actually my 2nd choice. Read the book "Bandit" by Vicki Hearne. The author owns pit bulls and has excellent advice about training and temperment. Good luck!

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Call him "Cuddles".

When some lowlifes overhear you gonna be out riding one weekend and only your dog Cuddles is gonna be home will be a total laugh when they jump the fence and they see that cute dial smiling back at them :D :D

:)

·
Registered
499 Posts
pit bull puppy

Triple,

Winston would be a great name for your dog. All he needs is a cigar and there he is! Churchhill, that is.

My brother and his girlfriend run a rescue shelter for dogs in Mesa, AZ. He has had his Pit for years and loves him.

Go here if you're interested:

www.valleyofthesundogrescue.com

They are a registered non-profit organisation caring for abandoned/unwanted/abused animals.

Good luck with your new best friend.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
My last pit-bull was "Otis". He was a blue, white and black brendal. He was real good with the kids (a real teddy bear) and real bad with cats, wild pigs, opposum and raccoon (a real grizzly).

·
Registered
989 Posts
Have I got the wrong idea here, or is a 'pit-bull' in the US what we would call a 'british bulldog', in which case, the names Winston or Spike seem pretty appropriate?

Pit-bulls aren't anything like bulldogs - pit bulls seem to want to attack people - not always, but often enough the that government here has actually talked of introducing legislation to ban them. And the guy that runs the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), who is a very well-respected vet, hates them.

There I go starting another trans-Pacific stoush .. can't help myself - sorry.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just looked at Triple's picture ... that has to be a british bulldog, not a pit bull, surely ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nope, Scott; they're two completely different breeds of dogs. The Pit Bull is actually a terrier, not a bulldog. And they're not terrible dogs; it's just that they are attractive to owners who want to have a tough, agressive dog because that's how they look. Therefore, they're treated as such by their owners, and (suprise, suprise) become tough and aggressive.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, I've been doing a ton of research on these things over the past couple days, and I've come to find out that their bad reputation as killers is a little unjustified.

The American Pit-Bull Terrier was bred specifically to be extra friendly to people. They were also bred, however, to be particularly viscious towards other animals. Originally, these dogs were bred as either fighters, or work animals on the farm (ever heard the phrase "got the bull by the nose"?), but such ferocious dogs needed to be managable by their owners. Therefore, over time, pit-bulls' agression towards humans was virtually bred right out of them. If you ask the experts rather than listen to public hysteria, they will tell you that pit-bulls are among the best dogs to have with children, and among the worst dogs to use for guarding property. In fact, in a nationwide agressiveness test of over 10,000 dogs, the American Pit-Bull Terrier scored better than both Golden Retrievers and Beagles.

You do, however, have to carefully monitor their behavior around other dogs. They don't necessarily have a greater tendancy to fight, but if they do, they have a greater tendancy to kill. There aren't too many dogs out there that can hold their own against a pit-bull. This could be a problem for me, since I already have a 5 year-old Weimaraner in the house. I'm getting some opinions from the pros right now as to how I should work that.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
If you get the Pit when it's a pup, it should be no probelm. I had a blue heeler and a red heeler that I raised after I got mine and didn't have any problems.they ran and played and froliced just like it was nothing. If you want a family type dog, just bring him up that way, they are real affectionate and receptive to all kinds of training.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are two main breeds that American Pit Bull Terriers are often mistaken for, the English Bull Terrier and the English Bull Dog. Nope, my pup should grow up looking something like this.

If there ever was a dog with a worse reputation than the Pit Bull, it's the English Bull Terrier. Those things look like mutants or aliens, anyway, don't think I'd ever want one.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, after days of convincing myself that we'd be okay raising a Pit Bull, my very limited amount of good sense finally got the best of me and I decided against it. The research I've done has all shown me the same thing, that Pit's are great around people, but potentially very dangerous around other dogs. If my Pit Bull grew up and killed my girlfriend's Weimaraner, she would kill me (not to mention I'd feel terrible for the rest of my days).

So, I turned down the Pit pup, and this afternoon I went to my local humane society and adopted a 6-month old German Shepherd female. My favorite breed, if only it weren't for all that damn hair. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
I was wrong, wrong, wrong. The Pit Bull does indeed have a bad reputation here, since there have been number of highly publicised incidents where little kids have been essentially ripped into.

However, I now understand that it's not the dog that is innately indisposed towards humans, but rather that the nature of the breed means that sometimes dickheads buy them and basically stuff them up mentally.

My daughter (who works as a vet nurse) says that Pit Bulls are lovely animals (so far as attitude to humans is concerned), in fact ditto the many Rottweilers she has met (except, again, for the influence of the ******** element).

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey Scott, it is the "********" element in the world that keeps me and Pete happy and motivated to go work every day. Tom :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts