RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike definitely has a carburetion issue. the airbox is back to stock, except with a plug in the EPA hose hole. i havent touched the idle screws yet. but, man i have a significant lean spot. in neutral, it sounds like i am opening and closing the throttle and then opening it again if i just rev the bike. it seriously hesitates if i am about 1/4 throttle. for just cruising, this is where the throttle is at. it feels pretty weak here. if i get on it, it pulls decent like usual...

Joe

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I sync'ed my carbs when I was done ripping the junk off. The only thing I really noticed is warm ups are a little different now. The choke is a lot more sensitive. I'm sure once I adjust the mixture screws, it will change again. I should have time tomorrow evening to do that. I don't have a Dremel type tool (yet), so I'm gonna have to be a little more inventive to get that caps out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sync'd my carbs when i removed the epa 'junk' also.

are you saying it did not affect drivability? i have a significant change now....i am going to pull the carbs soon.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
martin, i've got the B&D version of the dremel and you're welcome to borrow it. i don't have a right angle adapter so you may need to remove the carbs to get at the plugs. let me know :)

scott

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Thanks Scott. I'll let you know. Seems I'm up to my @ss in alligators lately and don't know if I'm coming or going.

falcon, the performance hasn't changed all that much. I'm thinking maybe you have a vacuum leak. What you're describing sounds like when I forgot to re attach the vacuum hose from the carbs to the fuel control valve. Or maybe the yellow stripe hose has blockage. Possibly you have a leak at either #2 or #3 carb where the other vacuum lines were. When I first took all the stuff off mine, I capped off the nipples with a couple of old shipping plugs I had in my tool box. They worked fine for about 5 minutes and they both cracked, and it ran like doo-doo. So for the time being I ran a piece of hose from #2 to #3 and they are plugging each other off. No ill effects.
I'm also wondering if the "K-tric" has something to do with all this throttle lag business. I haven't read up on it and don't really know much about it's function. Anyone?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok ok i finally found my problem:

i didnt put the stock airbox on correctly so air was coming in from around the box. it leaned the bike out significantly.

i pulled the box and noticed that it revved great if i restricted the big hole with my hand. then i noticed the 2 notches on the airbox!

phew. still gonna adjust the idle screws at some point. is that solder? could it be easily melted?

Joe

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem. I'm surprised how much a difference the airbox being opened up makes.

Regarding the idle mixture plugs. They are not made of solder. You will have to drill a small hole and then use a screw to pry them out.

I personally would not use the dremel tool method because removing the carbs is not very difficult.

Andy

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
falcon - be careful drilling through the caps so you don't damage the screws underneath.

andy - can you do the job with a regular dremel with NO right angle adapter? is there enough room for that?

scott

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
andy - you rock! you're my new hero, thanks much :)

jarel, could you make this tip a premanent part of the maintenance page?

martin, if i get some time next weekend i'll do it then. otherwise i'll be waiting until after the new year.

scott

·
Registered
360 Posts
How much weight is lost by removing all the EPA garbage??

Is the performance significantly increased??

I am just a guy who likes to ride and look around; not really into the peg-scraping twisties....though an occasional romp would be anticipated.

The only mods I really plan on doing is adjusting the mixture screws to 2.5 turns out and ultmately changing the can. I may consider re-jetting, but not yet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh....I gotta get the MC first. That definately has to happen first.

I HOPE I GET MY CHRISTMAS BONUS!!:cool:

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Well danno, I didn't lose an ounce, the bike lost a pound or 2. :laugh: It was mostly just a project to gain more space under the seat, then I got into it more and more.....:cool:

·
Silver Member
479 Posts
You guys are talking about different things. Danno and others about exhaust reburn and Martin about californian underseat junk. Danno, don't expect any perfomance changes after both modifications. Martin claims that his bike runs better after he removed underseat box, but I don't believe him :). In turn, for me it seems that engine runs cooler after plugging EGR stuff.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey Alex, it's all in your head, I noticed my bike runs faster and turns better on a full stomach and without a hangover! Tom :D

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Alex, I ripped it ALL out. Reburn, black box...the whole thing. And no, Hayden is not begging me to race my bike next year, but yes, it does run better. Tom, you are correct, a full belly makes all the difference. :cool:

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
When Martin said he ripped it all out he wasn't kidding... :)
It is much lighter now. I wonder if he tried to start it yet?

Andy

created in photoshop

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
created and removed in photoshop...

Just nitpicking Andy, you forgot to remove the chain...it'll coast better without it. tom :~ :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts