RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't an earth-shattering, but I was bored... Does anyone's helmet vents actually make a difference to them open or closed?

I just traded my "left one" for a new Arai Quantum F. Great helmet, but with all it's vents and stuff, I still can't feel a difference if they're all open or closed. Even the visor vents (I guess designed to help with anti-fogging) don't seem to make any difference at all.

I've ridden in the cold - and I stay just as cold. I've ridden in the heat - and I stay just as hot.

My old HJC CL-12 did the same thing. Anybody out there feel a difference?

Emrah

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the same helmet (the Quantum) and the ventilation works very well for me. Those things on the visor in particular..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i've got an arai signet gt and my vents definitely make a noticeable difference. BUt when it's hot it's hot and when it's cold it's cold. they make a difference but you can only do so much at the extremes.

scott

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think someone has to step in and suspend Andy's Photoshop privileges, he's out of control;) Just kidding Andy the pictures are really funny. I have a HJC LT12 and the vents do make a difference but as Scott said when it's hot, it's hot and vice versa.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I ahve a KBC TK7 and the vents work fine. If its hot out, I don't think there is a full face made that will keep you cool. Ahh, the joys of motorcycling!:)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Hey KawMan, how do you like your KBC? I seen 'em on the shelf and they are at the lower end of the price scale (which is what I want), but how is it on the comfort and noise scale? I have an HJC that is in need of replacing and am on the look out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The fit and comfort are good. At least as good as the price. Noise reduction isn't that great. I can still hear waht's going on around me.

My only knocks against it is the graphics got scratched rather easily (in my opinion) and the chinstrap restraint (the little red bungee thing) got so stretched out it's useless.

Overall though, it has, and continues to serve me well. Not a bad helmet, and the price is certainly not bad.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
paradox said:
I think someone has to step in and suspend Andy's Photoshop privileges, he's out of control;) Just kidding Andy the pictures are really funny. I have a HJC LT12 and the vents do make a difference but as Scott said when it's hot, it's hot and vice versa.
Mr. Paradox, has a good point. As the beer commercials say, know when to say when. Oh and BTW, my helmet vents don't work..... Tom :rolleyes:

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
I have a Shoei RF800, and my vents don't seem to have much effect either. The only time I notice is when it's really cold out, if I open the top vent all the way I can feel a very faint cool breeze on my head, but other than that it doesn't seem noticeable no matter how I set them.

On the KBC note, I have a TK-7 also, it was the first helmet I bought. It's not bad for the money, but definitely not on par as fas as comfort and quality with the RF800. The visor on the KBC would blow open if I turned my head to the side on the highway, since it has no lock. That's the reason I originally decided to replace it, then I found how much more comfortable the Shoei was. Of course it was $150 more also, so I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
a note on the ari vents for those who don't know: unlike some other vents that are just uncoverd holes at spots in the helmet the arai vents usually have little air scoops around them. maybe this accounts for some of their functionality, i'm sure it accounts for some of the noise ;)

the shield has two different positions that it can lcok in. one is supposed to allow a little air in at the bottom so that it doesn't fog as easily. i've never noticed this working. i usually ride with the shield cracked just a bit.

scott :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
jarelj said:
On the KBC note, I have a TK-7 also, it was the first helmet I bought. It's not bad for the money, but definitely not on par as fas as comfort and quality with the RF800. The visor on the KBC would blow open if I turned my head to the side on the highway, since it has no lock. That's the reason I originally decided to replace it, then I found how much more comfortable the Shoei was. Of course it was $150 more also, so I guess you get what you pay for.
I've never experienced that problem and I've been at 145 MPH(indicated) on my ZX-9R. If anything I have trouble keeping he visor ctacked open a notch above 85 MPH.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scott,

About the Arai Quantium. I LOVE my helmet, and it's much more comfy and fits better than my old HJC. However, I HATE the cheap quality of the visor.

I thought the "locking" procedure was bad enough. I still can't figure the thing out. I mean I can do it now, but it's just not intuitive when you're trying to lock it or unlock it at freeway speeds. Nothing to get alarmed about, but it's just one more hassle an annoyance/distraction you don't need when you're riding. The locking mechanism is HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!!

Also, the visor changing method is complicated and not easy to use. Even the instructions say to "...move the visor's end back and forth until you feel it click..." (I'm paraphrasing, but I'm not far off). That wouldn't be so bad, as I hardly ever change my visors, but now (it's only 3 weeks old), it has taken to staying in the upright and locked position. This is a visor for chrissakes, not a tray table!

Once again, more than a few times I've had it up as I was merging onto the highway. Right when you're speeding up and want to bring the visor down.... it's stuck. Again, one more annoyance you don't need at 80 mph. You have to wiggle it up and down and side to side to get it back down (please, no jokes, I'm serious here...:))

I've ranted long enough, but I feel it's deserved for a supposedly world-class helmet. Well, those little oversights and un-user-friendliness is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable in a $450 dollar helmet.

Emrah

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
emrah, i know where you're coming from. if it's stuck at full up then it's probably not totally "in". try popping it out and back in to see if it seats better. even if you don't change the visor much you might want to pop it in and out once in a while. i've had three different visors so far and they all got better over time with more changes in and out.

as for removing it, it is tricky. i've found that you really need to spread those corners to get it to let go sometimes. way past what seems prudent. those stupid little levers don't seem to help me much so i don't bother with them any more.

also, check the manual and see how to pop of the side plates. then pop one off and take a look. the whole thing made much more sense to me after i looked inside.

scott :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a Shoei TZ-1 and the vents work ok. But I have a remedy for the hot head blues. Just ride around with the vents closed and when you can't stand it anymore, open them up. You'll see that they work fine.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scott,

I've tried taking the visor out and reinstalling it, just to make sure it was in properly. No dice. I'm so used to having it stuck up there now, that I automatically wiggle it around a few times to bring it down. Let's put it this way, I'm pleasantly surprised when it's NOT stuck.

And you're right about those levers and side covers. Everything needs a little extra bend or push or twist to remove or install the visor. Those little levers DON'T install the least bit of confidence. They are really flimsy and feel as if they're about to snap any second. I've just stopped messing with it and deal with it as yet another idiosynchrosy of riding.

Emrah

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
I've never looked closely at the Arai setup for quick-change visors, but the Shoei system works really well. I can swap my visor in just a few seconds, and it locks in solidly. I can't believe with the cost of Arai that they would have gone cheapo on the visor setup. Anybody have knowledge of both system who can provide a comparison?

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't comment on the Shoei, but on my HJC, it was a snap (no pun intended). You see what you're doing, it makes sense, and everything lines up. Plus, the release levers don't feel like they're going to snap if you apply just one more inch-pound of pressure!

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

Emrah

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you want ventilation, then get the AGV X-vent. It's a permanantly open vent. I sux in the winter, but there is no, and I mean no better ventilated helmet made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts