RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. I bought new tires last season, barely got 1000 kms on the rear when I picked up a staple. Literaly just wore off the conti attack lettering on the tire. Ive plugged the hole, and filled the tire again, seems to be holding air well. As a percautionary measure, should the tire be replaced ? or do I have any other options? Im not sure if this tire can be patched or have a tube put in.. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A dealer will not plug, patch or put a tube in motorcycle tires for liability reasons, I know this because I had my ninja 1 day before i picked up a nail. So i bought a new tire

·
Registered
193 Posts
Do you want to risk your live on a patched tire when you only have 2 of them. Even though it sucks i think your life is worth more than the price of a tire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I never plugged/patched a front, but the rear on my six fifty had a handful of patches.never had a problem personally when correctly repaired with a patch plug.I don't think you are gonna have a blow out because of a repair, maybe a leak if not done correctly.I will probably get beat up for this response! Do what ever you feel is safer I guess?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Don't put a tube in. I'd think everyone agrees on this. Putting a tube in a tubeless tire causes heat buildup and premature failure.

Everything that follows assumes a rear tire. If it's the front...get a new one.

However...whether or not to patch a tire and ride it out appears to be a somewhat religious issue. For liability sake most dealers/mechanics will tell you never patch a tire. There is always *some* added risk when riding with a patched tire. Then again, riding a motorcycle poses a significant increased risk to the rider already.

For me personally...

If it's a clean hole near the center of the tread, I've patched or had them patched from the inside with "mushroom plugs" and, while more closely monitoring the air pressure, run the tire to the end of it's normal life. I've done this twice in 30 years of riding on tubeless tires.

If the hole was made by a screw, something that went in at a steep angle, basically anything that could have trashed the cords in the tire, time for a new tire.
If the hole is near the sidewall of the tire where flexing is greatest, replace the tire. Patches/plugs fail more often at the edges.
If you're going to take it to the track and stress the tire to it's limits, replace the tire.
If you're going to ride it on the streets at the limits, replace the tire.
If there's any doubt about the internal damage to the tire, replace it.

Again, all based on my personal experience.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I wouldn't plug a front either but I've plugged a bunch of rears and have only had an issue with one leaking. Plug/patches are usually good for the life of the tire.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do you want to risk your live on a patched tire when you only have 2 of them. Even though it sucks i think your life is worth more than the price of a tire.
Harsh................ LOL Do you know this man? How do you know his life sucks??? ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had dealers plug rear tyres before, and I've run them to the end of their wear life without problems. I ride moderately hard on the street, but I don't do track days (yet...)

Fronts? I've had one plugged. The mechanic told me it's illegal to repair the fronts (not the rears), but I insisted that I only needed the tyre plugged to get me to the store that had the tyre I wanted to replace it with. After making a bunch of phone calls to various bike stores to get the right tyre, he was happy that I was indeed going to get it changed at the earliest time. 15 km later and the tyre was replaced.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I dont think his life sucks..actually, I have no way of knowing. He may be a billionaire from not replacing tires when they get a hole in them...

BUT, I dont see how you can risk it.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
When done properly a plug patch is extremely safe. These are the same plug patches used on semi tires that run 100-125 psi and hold over 5,000 lbs each.

We used plug patches all the time when I worked for the dealer. Some dealers just want to sell a new tire to make more money.

I actually topped out my 2000 r1 with a plug patch in the front and rear tire. 177mph.

If you go somewhere and they are not using a plug patch, go somewhere else. Just a plug, or just a patch is not a good way to do it.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Lets go another direction....does a web search turn up horror stories from patching tires? I doubt it, and it is done all the time...

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Lets go another direction....does a web search turn up horror stories from patching tires? I doubt it, and it is done all the time...
As always to each his own. The plug patches are safe or bike shops wouldn't be able to use them for liability reasons. I've got thousands of miles on plugged rears and the only one I've ever had an issue with was one that picked up a huge gash in the middle of nowhere. I used 3 plugs and some glue to get myself the 40 miles to a shop.

·
Registered
452 Posts
unless the plug is in the sidewall or if there is a cut in the tire or a large jagged hole you would be fine to plug a tire. it is a common sense thing, look at it, look at the plug. Is it a close fit? then use it. is the tire worn out or full of cracks from age? no? use it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't put a tube in. I'd think everyone agrees on this. Putting a tube in a tubeless tire causes heat buildup and premature failure.

-snip-

If the hole was made by a screw, something that went in at a steep angle, basically anything that could have trashed the cords in the tire, time for a new tire.
If the hole is near the sidewall of the tire where flexing is greatest, replace the tire. Patches/plugs fail more often at the edges.
If you're going to take it to the track and stress the tire to it's limits, replace the tire.
If you're going to ride it on the streets at the limits, replace the tire.
If there's any doubt about the internal damage to the tire, replace it.

Again, all based on my personal experience.
I think Kenors did a good job on these points. Based on *my* experience, rope plugs (when installed correctly) are much better than mushroom plugs. I also have no problem plugging a front as long as those considerations Kenors mentioned are taken into account.

People get really freaked out about patching tires (and for good reason), however, most plugs can be done and kept through the life of the tire. If in doubt, try it out, and ride cautiously and keep monitoring air pressure. Most of the time if you didn't plug it correctly, it will fail within the first couple of rides, then simply redo it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I think Kenors did a good job on these points. Based on *my* experience, rope plugs (when installed correctly) are much better than mushroom plugs. I also have no problem plugging a front as long as those considerations Kenors mentioned are taken into account.

People get really freaked out about patching tires (and for good reason), however, most plugs can be done and kept through the life of the tire. If in doubt, try it out, and ride cautiously and keep monitoring air pressure. Most of the time if you didn't plug it correctly, it will fail within the first couple of rides, then simply redo it.
As a followup...a mechanic I've known/used for years says rope plugs work better for patches near the edge of tires and the mushroom plugs work better in the middle. He also won't do a plug in a front tire which is kind of where I got my phobia.

My only experience with a front puncture was actually a 1/4" cut in a front tire. Instant deflation (very scary) and no object left behind. It immediately spit a rope plug. Putting in 2 plugs lasted a couple miles but I was only about 10 miles from home so I rode home about 20 mph. The bike she no handle so good with no air but there was enough stiffness in the sidewalls to protect the rim.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
You cannot fix punctures in the side wall, and should never repair a puncture near the edge of the tread.

Anyone doing so is an idiot to be blunt.

Theses are the parts of the tire that flex the most, and cannot be repaired. A new tire must be fitted.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Harsh................ LOL Do you know this man? How do you know his life sucks??? ;)
I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, I don't come on here to argue with people. My life doesn't suck and i didn't mean to sound harsh, I just thought to be safe I would replace a tire that my life depends on and His life is worth more than the price of a tire. I had a nail in the rear tire and my dealer would not patch or plug it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting views! The plug is in the rear tire, pretty much 2" from center. As a truck driver, patches are used all of time. Mind you at 300 to 500 a tire its important to keep costs low.. As for my bike, and my safety, a new tire has been ordered. Beeing a big dude I'm pretty sure it's the best call. If it was a budget issue I could see keeping the tire as is, keeping a close eye on it. But for under 200 bucks it may as well be changed. Thanks for helping me out. It's good to hear about some experienced riders position on the subject.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Patched many a rear with the rope type variety plug. If done properly eg hole reamed a bit, plug covered with some vulcanizing glue on it, I have never had any issue and ran the tire until it was ready to be replaced. Sometimes I had up to three in the rear but would never trust more than the one plug to patch a single hole. If its bigger than that it goes past my paranoia threshold and gets replaced. After a day or so of running the patch you'd be hard pressed to finding the spot that you plugged back visually. Patched fronts only in emergency to get home. New tire then. And any tire with sidewall damage is best replaced IMO.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts