RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously looking at the thunder hypercharger for my 2002 meanie. I hear their mounting bracket keeps it a lot closer to the engine so it doesn't stick out much. For an upgrade like this how much do I really need a tuner? I have pipes but that's it. If I need one what's the best choice? Where could I even put it? I know nothing about tuners or what a fuel injected bike needs as it's my first one without a carb. Thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
just my opinion but you should check out fullers bad ace budget intakes before you commit to buying the hypercharger they a so much nicer. as far as a tuner goes try without first and see how it does several guys on here run without them and dont have any issues. but if you still need one the dobeck 3.5 is a pretty good one

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the ram air style intakes. If the cobra power flo intake could fit the meanie rather than the 900 I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have a hypercharger on my 99 800a and love hearing the air being sucked in lol.

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
I'm seriously looking at the thunder hypercharger for my 2002 meanie. I hear their mounting bracket keeps it a lot closer to the engine so it doesn't stick out much. For an upgrade like this how much do I really need a tuner? I have pipes but that's it. If I need one what's the best choice? Where could I even put it? I know nothing about tuners or what a fuel injected bike needs as it's my first one without a carb. Thanks.
I would not go with the hypercharger even if it was the only choice, bad design, poor flow, all show, no go.

·
Registered
982 Posts
just my opinion but you should check out fullers bad ace budget intakes before you commit to buying the hypercharger they a so much nicer. as far as a tuner goes try without first and see how it does several guys on here run without them and dont have any issues. but if you still need one the dobeck 3.5 is a pretty good one
+1 with Uriah. If I were up for an intake today, would go with Paul's Bad Ace Budget Intake. Quality product, made by a passionate Meanie owner, and wont bust the wallet. The additional bonus of Pauls set-up is you can customize the cover and personalize it. I currently run a Barons Big Air Kit with Road Burner Drag Pro's with "No Tuner" and very happy with performance. I came on the forum to late, and bought the Barons prior to reading up on the Bad Ace version.

Like uriahk said, if you go with a tuner, it seems like the Dobeck 3.5 is the right choice.

Which would you pick? I know my answer!

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
+1 with Uriah. If I were up for an intake today, would go with Paul's Bad Ace Budget Intake. Quality product, made by a passionate Meanie owner, and wont bust the wallet. The additional bonus of Pauls set-up is you can customize the cover and personalize it. I currently run a Barons Big Air Kit with Road Burner Drag Pro's with "No Tuner" and very happy with performance. I came on the forum to late, and bought the Barons prior to reading up on the Bad Ace version.

Like uriahk said, if you go with a tuner, it seems like the Dobeck 3.5 is the right choice.

Which would you pick? I know my answer!

View attachment 72179 View attachment 72180
Maxx I do like the intake you have, and really like the flow cones (for lack of better term) that comes with that. Could you pop the cover off so I could see the inside of the cover with those installed. I think Paul could make some of those for his intake.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Take a look at this write up and it will give you some more info about tuners. http://www.riderforums.com/general-mean-streak/79288-dobeck-ejk-3-5-fuel-controller-install.html
This topic has been a good debate on here about using a programmer or not and I think it has finally been settled. It is absolutely, most definitely, 100% of the time........
up to you. Do you have to? No. Do I? Yes. If you are trying to get the most performance out of your bike after you have made upgrades then sure. These can be a great bang for your buck upgrade. Did you have to put pipes on your bike? No. Do you need to put an intake on? No. Is a tuner required? No. But we choose to upgrade because we want more than the factory offered. I can tell you that my bike now offers way more performance than the factory ever did and my tuner just gives me that much more as well as more tuning options.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good input from everyone. I have a hypercharger on my 800 Vulcan (already installed when purchased) and I love hearing the air being sucked in. That's not a selling point I just want to know if the sound is there. I'm either thinking about a tornado intake or the bad ace budget intake. Can anyone tell me what my actual choices are? If I search for different brands I don't get much.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The Fuller Model Sucks more..In a good way though
I have also heard that Fuller's suck (in a good way) and you will be surprised at the results as long as your exhaust blows (in a good way)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have also heard that Fuller's suck (in a good way) and you will be surprised at the results as long as your exhaust blows (in a good way)
My Fuller Intake is coming, .... my 3" Road Burners are coming ... and my EJK 3.5 is here waiting for them.

I want to get everything going and get the paint finished ..... I'm getting really, r e a l l y antsy .....

tick tock, .... tick tock, ... tick tock ........................... oh boy

·
Registered
311 Posts
My Fuller Intake is coming, .... my 3" Road Burners are coming ... and my EJK 3.5 is here waiting for them.

I want to get everything going and get the paint finished ..... I'm getting really, r e a l l y antsy .....

tick tock, .... tick tock, ... tick tock ........................... oh boy
remember lots of pics! :righton:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the "picky I want it my way" side coming out.... I love the custom look of the forcewinder intake!!! But I'm not a fan of the square shape it goes to at the engine (first picture). I saw a post a while ago from rbthntr64 who had a thunder tornado intake with a forcewinder filter (second picture). That's perfect! Is there anywhere I can get a thunder intake without the filter? And same question with the filter for the forcewinder?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Here's the "picky I want it my way" side coming out.... I love the custom look of the forcewinder intake!!! But I'm not a fan of the square shape it goes to at the engine (first picture). I saw a post a while ago from rbthntr64 who had a thunder tornado intake with a forcewinder filter (second picture). That's perfect! Is there anywhere I can get a thunder intake without the filter? And same question with the filter for the forcewinder?
I saw a thread somewhere, where it showed how to make one of those intakes from parts available at the auto parts store.

Sorry, can't remember where I saw it. If I remember, I'll post it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a tornado intake with tornado filter on its way. What are the side effects of running without a tuner for a few weeks??

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I guess someone always has to be the exception...so I'll be your Huckleberry. The numbers don't lie. A 1600 with intake, pipes and a Power Commander makes about 20 more dyno HP than stock. Without the tuner..maybe 10-12. I can't tell you how much more responsive it is either. You are leaving about 30% of the injection system's performance on the table without a tuner...this is according to experts. The drawback? At max tune it drops fuel mileage by as much as 30%. See the correlation? 30% better performance..30% less fuel efficiancy (or anywhere in between). Those are numbers I can live with...and besides..it's completely reversible. PS: You can better tune for later performance mods..like hotter cams or bigger pistons.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts