RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I don’t ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
People not only need to read their owners manual, but they need to comprehend what they are reading.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Synthetic oil should last you more than 1000 miles but this forum will tell you to do it anyway, even if you don't ride for a year.

I still know a lot of people who change their car oil every 3000 miles with synthetic just to be sure or to follow the sticker Jiffy-lube put on your winshield. Bad for the environment.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Some new oils say change yearly without mileage mentioned..
As for the bike if you take a good long ride at the end of the year to eliminate any moisture in the oil -maybe not every year..
My problem is that at 1000 miles a year you probably take a lot of short trips which could lead to moisture getting sucked into the hot engine and not being burnt out.
I'd change it every year if it was mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
YES over time moisture will accumulate in oil, even and worse when not ridden much. Bikes like all engines need to be run at temp to burn off water and fully lube things. RIDE MORE.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some new oils say change yearly without mileage mentioned..
As for the bike if you take a good long ride at the end of the year to eliminate any moisture in the oil -maybe not every year..
My problem is that at 1000 miles a year you probably take a lot of short trips which could lead to moisture getting sucked into the hot engine and not being burnt out.
I'd change it every year if it was mine.
Why have a bike if you ride only 1000 miles a year? Seems like a lot of money sitting in a garage 99 percent of the time. Never got why people buy a bike and then let it sit.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Why have a bike if you ride only 1000 miles a year? Seems like a lot of money sitting in a garage 99 percent of the time. Never got why people buy a bike and then let it sit.
His bike isn't "sitting". He has a short commute...and apparently he only uses it for commuting. I.. myself... don't have time to ride recreationally a lot..and I work at a dealership that is within walking distance. Everybody's different. We all lead different lives...and have different levels of responsibility. It doesn't take away from the value of riding. For me...it makes it more special!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Dude, do a search sometime on Craigslist and Cycletrader. You will find 10 year old bikes with 5000 miles on them.

I have a coworker who has many hobbies. He rides his bike one day a month with his wife on some curvy roads to their favorite breakfast place. For him it is worth every penny.

When I had my Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic it sat on a table in my shop. It accumulated 1700 enjoyable miles in its 8 years. I put 1000 in the 4 years I owned it. Of course I had other bikes that I used to accumulate my 25,000 miles a year I used to ride.

Yes, I changed the oil and serviced the bike every year. Also wiped it all down after every ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you store the bike at all throughout the year, winter perhaps? If so, I'd change it right before then. If not, I'd just pick a day and do a yearly oil change. They aren't that expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts