RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I ordered my Yoshimura exhaust for the 2012 650 yesterday and am patiently awaiting its arrival :mouthwate . I took in my bike to a local shop for its first maintenance checkup (recommended by a lot of the military people here) and I noticed a GXR750 with a blown engine. I asked the mechanic about it and he informed me that the bike was run with an aftermarket exhaust (2Bros) and since the tune for California motorcycles is leaner than those of other states you would need a power commander so it balances the ratio and doesn't leave me with the same fate as this GXR. Mind you I didn't inform him that I purchased an exhaust but now I'm a little hesitant to install it right away. Can anyone give me any advice on this? I looked up the PC maps and I found none for the 2012 Ninja w/ the Yosh pipe and one alternative which is the autotune add-on which would bring the total to around $600. Thats just not feasible right now seeing how I just purchased my exhaust. Does anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
For general street riding you can run the bike with the pipe and not cause immideat damage.
You will be running the bike lean, no question about that.
The PC will help.
A map for any pipe will help as it will richen the mixture up. Just not exactly where that pipe may need it.
I would think eventually the map you need would be posted.
Of course a dyno tune or the Auto Tune should be in the bikes future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
since the tune for California motorcycles is richer than those of other states
I would have thought with their tight emmisions that those bikes would be leaner?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
A bike will not run richer after adding an exhaust. It's the exact opposite.

It's safer to run rich as the fuel helps cool things down. TOO rich and it will wash the oil down your cylinders. Too lean and you risk burning parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have thought with their tight emmisions that those bikes would be leaner?:dunno:
Your right I meant leaner out of factory, my bike would need to get richer mixture.

I'm not taking my bike to a track or anything but I am planning some long distance trips... *sigh* guess you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I was going to call BS on the leaner tune in CA thing. As it turns out though, there is a different ECU for CA. It seems quite possible that it's true.

21175-0732 CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRONIC [CN,US]
21175-0733 CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRONIC [CA]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Unless you put a wideband on it and run each computer on the bike all anyone can do is guess. A different ecu could be different timing tables for high altitude locations or different fuel maps depending on region and fuel avaliability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I ended up purchasing the PCV w/o autoune and it should be coming in on Friday. The Yosh pipe is here already but not installed. My next question is, would anyone know what map I should run the PCV on until I can get an efficient dynotune? I was thinking about using the stock map to get it running a bit richer from the CA tune but I also found maps for the 2 bros and Leo Vince that I could assume would make it run even richer as if it has an aftermarket pipe. Any suggestions?:swink:

·
Registered
552 Posts
There is no map for the yosh? Stock is lean if your using the yosh. Arrow, scorpion, 2 bros > richer. The arrow is a good start.DL the autotune software and look at the maps. Do a compare on stock vs other map for % differernces. You will be using this prog to tweak your map.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I was wondering if you bought the C.A.R.B. version or the regular version of PCV? When you get a state inspection do they do an emissions check? I think your mechanic is right, when I would get C.A.R.B. approved scooters the main jets would be sooo tiny so they could pass the emissions tests. The first thing we would do to get some power back was rejet and remove the stupid charcoal filters and canisters and the rest of that evap crap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no map for the yosh? Stock is lean if your using the yosh. Arrow, scorpion, 2 bros > richer. The arrow is a good start.DL the autotune software and look at the maps. Do a compare on stock vs other map for % differernces. You will be using this prog to tweak your map.
From what I saw no there wasn't which was weird to me too. Although I didnt see any of the autotune maps. I'll check there, thank you!

I was wondering if you bought the C.A.R.B. version or the regular version of PCV? When you get a state inspection do they do an emissions check? I think your mechanic is right, when I would get C.A.R.B. approved scooters the main jets would be sooo tiny so they could pass the emissions tests. The first thing we would do to get some power back was rejet and remove the stupid charcoal filters and canisters and the rest of that evap crap.
I bought the regular because I am military and my home state is FL, I don't need to deal with all that emissions nonesense. I just bought bike here.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I just looked at the maps available for the 2012 and was surprised to see no yoshi maps, I think I would just start with the Leo Vince map.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*Update*
So I installed my exhaust this past weekend with a friend of mine... and I love it. I take it out almost every chance I can get haha :mouthwate. The install was extremely easy with the right tools, it took almost just as long to get my frame sliders on (1h 30m) but the fairings came off a bit easier this time. I get a little popping here and there when I'm around 6k (not sure what it signifies) but it doesn't bother me at all. My PCV should be coming in this week or next, had a little shipping problem but it got settled pretty quick. I posted a start up video below.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts