RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read some posts that say to change your own tires and save some $$$. Supposedly, you can save enough $$$ to pay for the tools with 1 -2 tire changes. But I haven't been able to find a place to buy the tools. I see tire irons but no balancers. Anyone know where to get tire changing tools?

On the topic of actually changing the tires...
Anyone know a good link on changing your own tires? I've changed many bicycle tires and am very mechanically inclined so learning to change and balance tires isn't a problem. I just wanna know the process to learn it.
Paying through the nose to get my tires mounted seems like a huge waste of $$$.

Thanks!!

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,151 Posts
I have some tire levers I got somewhere. Motion Pro or a similar brand. And I use pieces of an old antifreeze bottle to prevent scratching the rims with the levers.

My balancer I got off ebay for around $90 a few years ago. It has 2 brackets made of 4 pieces of angle aluminum, small bearings, and an "axle" with 2 tapered cones with set screws to hold them in place. It sits on 2 sawhorses. Simple and effective.

Ive changed and balanced about 5 sets of tires over the past few years.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So I've read some posts that say to change your own tires and save some $$$. Supposedly, you can save enough $$$ to pay for the tools with 1 -2 tire changes. But I haven't been able to find a place to buy the tools. I see tire irons but no balancers. Anyone know where to get tire changing tools?

On the topic of actually changing the tires...
Anyone know a good link on changing your own tires? I've changed many bicycle tires and am very mechanically inclined so learning to change and balance tires isn't a problem. I just wanna know the process to learn it.
Paying through the nose to get my tires mounted seems like a huge waste of $$$.

Thanks!!
Try these links...
http://www.google.com/search?source...1T4TSHB_en___US338&q=changing+motorcycle+tire

I've done atleast 100 tires over the last 4 years and even do it as a side business... $20 mounted and balanced.
You can get a balancer from harbor freight for about $50 and they have coupons in the motorcycle magazines for 20% off one item.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Replaced both tires a few months ago for the first time. About $20-30 spent for tools and such was all. Easy and I will do it again. $20 for a set of small tire irons, bottle of orange juice and a 2x4 was all used and watched from video's from you tube, very easy. They want about $40-50 per tire to change here and you have to take the wheel off first. I saved money during first tire change!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.