RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read some posts that say to change your own tires and save some $$$. Supposedly, you can save enough $$$ to pay for the tools with 1 -2 tire changes. But I haven't been able to find a place to buy the tools. I see tire irons but no balancers. Anyone know where to get tire changing tools?

On the topic of actually changing the tires...
Anyone know a good link on changing your own tires? I've changed many bicycle tires and am very mechanically inclined so learning to change and balance tires isn't a problem. I just wanna know the process to learn it.
Paying through the nose to get my tires mounted seems like a huge waste of $$$.

Thanks!!

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,141 Posts
I have some tire levers I got somewhere. Motion Pro or a similar brand. And I use pieces of an old antifreeze bottle to prevent scratching the rims with the levers.

My balancer I got off ebay for around $90 a few years ago. It has 2 brackets made of 4 pieces of angle aluminum, small bearings, and an "axle" with 2 tapered cones with set screws to hold them in place. It sits on 2 sawhorses. Simple and effective.

Ive changed and balanced about 5 sets of tires over the past few years.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So I've read some posts that say to change your own tires and save some $$$. Supposedly, you can save enough $$$ to pay for the tools with 1 -2 tire changes. But I haven't been able to find a place to buy the tools. I see tire irons but no balancers. Anyone know where to get tire changing tools?

On the topic of actually changing the tires...
Anyone know a good link on changing your own tires? I've changed many bicycle tires and am very mechanically inclined so learning to change and balance tires isn't a problem. I just wanna know the process to learn it.
Paying through the nose to get my tires mounted seems like a huge waste of $$$.

Thanks!!
Try these links...
http://www.google.com/search?source...1T4TSHB_en___US338&q=changing+motorcycle+tire

I've done atleast 100 tires over the last 4 years and even do it as a side business... $20 mounted and balanced.
You can get a balancer from harbor freight for about $50 and they have coupons in the motorcycle magazines for 20% off one item.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DynaBeads for wheel/tire balancing, works great for the street (not recommended for track use). Installs easily and no ugly weights on your wheels. Have been using them for years as well as many other people I know.
What is the problem with DynaBeads on the track?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Replaced both tires a few months ago for the first time. About $20-30 spent for tools and such was all. Easy and I will do it again. $20 for a set of small tire irons, bottle of orange juice and a 2x4 was all used and watched from video's from you tube, very easy. They want about $40-50 per tire to change here and you have to take the wheel off first. I saved money during first tire change!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts