RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm New

I just got a 2000 zr 7 and already love the bike. The site will not let me post for some reason but can anyone tell me where I can find some saaddlebags for the zr7 that are not out of the world price?

That's my bike!!!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!

Haha, I find the thread useful..... i'll have to come up with more mods for you to put on here :p

The thing is our bike is not produced anymore... matter fact it hasn't been for a while..... so the amount of "new" owner to this bike is very low..... I guess that's why the forum is a little quiet lately.......

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just got a 2000 zr 7 and already love the bike. The site will not let me post for some reason but can anyone tell me where I can find some saaddlebags for the zr7 that are not out of the world price?
Refer to post above...

There was a thread on here about the Givi saddle bags. Also, using the search button is a great tool too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find a good set of DUAL headlights for my 2000 zr7. I'm trying to mod my bike in several ways and want to start with the headlight. Thanks.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Where are you based?
USA, Canada, UK or OZ?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Maybe we should start a stickied "new member" thread, so they can ask questions in there...

Use the search function. I know there is several posts of what people have done with their headlights, and Im sure would give you a heads up if you PMed them.

And :welcome:

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Would anyone know the best Haynes Manual for my ZR-7? It is a 2001 model.
If anyone has the right manual could you let me have the ISBN?

Many thanks!
Don't believe that Haynes (or any other publisher) ever had a manual for our ZR-7(S). There is a link to a service manual in PDF format on this forum. I think the owner/linker was Adamsjd(?)... A quick search will help.

If not posted later today... I'll try to find the link myself.

By the way :welcome:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Getting back to the original purpose of this thread ... DIY mods.

My bike has the rock hard Corbin seat. Around town, it's great. On week long tours with 12 hour riding days, not so much. What I really need is an Airhawk seat cushion, but I'm cheap and don't want to pay $150, so I'm making my own seat cushion. Couple that with I'm 6-4 with a 36 inch inseam, and I'm also going to use this to raise the seat height without going to a professional to redo the cover for the Corbin. This will go with the pegs already lowered by adding the machined Buell drop pegs found in another thread.

Here's where I am so far.

First, hit the fabric supply store and picked up a piece of 2'x2'x1" high density firm seat foam, and a can of spray glue. Then hit the hardware store for some 3/4" pipe insulation. Came home and cut a template for the seating area using newspaper. Transferred that to the foam. Hmm ... I wasn't going to get 2 clean layers out of a piece that size. Cut the first one, put it on the bike. Cut most of a 2nd layer, cutting it a little short and put it under the first layer to check for fit, then glued the 2 together. Cutting the 2nd layer shorter helped the fit in the dished portion of the Corbin. Split open the pipe insulation (really just firm but flexable foam) and glued that to the bottom. Took all the remnant bits of foam and jigsaw puzzled a 3rd layer of foam, and glued that to the top.

After the glue dried, I put it on the bike with me on it and noticed where I had to trim. The seat height has been raised an inch, as the 3" of foam collapes down more than I thought it would. Compared to an over inflated air cushion, the seating position is much more stable. Much softer than the Corbin and much more supportive than the stock seat.

Back to the fabric store for a yard of vinyl. Got the cheap thin kind as this is just an experiment to be used on trips. If I were recovering a seat, there is much better stretch vinyl to use at almost 3x the price. On the way home though, I noticed that this just REEKS of chemicals ... so it's sitting in the garage for a couple of days to off-gas. I'll use the remnants from the vinyl to make attachment straps, and add some peel and stick velcro, which I already had.

Cost so far? Foam - $10. Pipe insulation - 2 x $0.65. Vinyl - $10. Can of spray glue - my wife picked it up, but a couple of bucks. So $25 compared to $150.

I want to get the cover on in the next week or so, and then take it out for a long spin when the weather improves a little. I might replace some of the foam with carpet underpad first though, as it's firmer. Pictures to follow this weekend.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Lol, I just dont get it. How is this the universal "put your first post here" thread?
Probably because this thread is the top one in the first sub-folder.
So newbies hit on it first ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. I just shortened my Yosh pipe, and going to Mid-Ohio in 6 hours. I'll throw up some pics when I get back.

Where did you get your yoshi pipe? I haven't found one and I've been looking for a couple days. Im trying out some of these mods, but for now I have to restore the body, it'll be pretty good when it's done

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Where did you get your yoshi pipe? I haven't found one and I've been looking for a couple days. Im trying out some of these mods, but for now I have to restore the body, it'll be pretty good when it's done
I got it from a member on here. Dont know if you can find it new anymore. Shoot some pics up here once for your build!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts