RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few posts mentioning people making their own forward controls. I've searched on here and can't find anything specific. Can anyone help me find any info on here about mean streak DIY forward controls? I've got the equipment to do it. Just trying to solve the shift linkage issues.

· Registered
10,350 Posts
I believe you are referring to moving the OEM controls forward on the bike instead of creating your own forward controls. If so, there were a couple guys who have done that.

You might have to go through the mean streak picture thread to find the couple bikes I remember.

· Registered
458 Posts

· Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am starting to make my forward controls, had a question though, did you guys have to extend your brake line?
Good question, Eagle. I'd like to know too.

Pauly75, did those peg extenders work pretty good? Would you do anything different were you to make another set? I've spoken with Paul Fuller, the guy who runs the machine shop next to my house and made my intake, about making me some forward controls.

· Registered
2,227 Posts
Russel, I've got some Mapam forwards headed my way. They're 4" instead of the typical 7". I can take lots of pics, measurements, and even trace an outline and mail it to you.

· Registered
2,227 Posts
I had a thought for you though: Mapams are not super expensive compared to Jardines, (6-700), and there is at least one one-off manufacturer making some for less as well (350-400). Both of those are 7" forward. I've tried the Jardines, and at 5'11"-33 inseam I could use them, but was super conscious about keeping my feet on them, and it was a noticeable distance to put my foot on the ground. Before you get Paul to start making a set, I'd suggest hunting some down and buying them. The biggest advantage you would get from going that route: you can try them for comparison, and figure out if you want yours in a slightly different position or not; you have a physical model to base your design off of; you will be able to easily sell them after your one-offs are done.

· Registered
2,227 Posts
For comparison:
Mapams $320 shipped
02-04 Kawasaki 1500 Mean Streak Forward Control Kit. By MAPAM. MAN# KM2041PMS1

http://bit.ly/Xe8hSL

Product Font Photography Fashion accessory Metal

FC5 one off by Refined Cycle (better looking than any IMO) $343.34 shipped, without pegs (I went to their website refinedcycle.com and picked pegs for a total of $393.87 shipped)
FC5 Forward Controls Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1500 1600 Classic VN1500 VN1600

http://bit.ly/XIXkmV

Vehicle Auto part Motorcycle accessories Car Rim

Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories

Jardine $612.04 shipped
Jardine Forward Controls For Kawasaki Mean Streak M95 02-08

http://bit.ly/XIXriv

Auto part

· Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Let me guess, not the first set of forwards you've made?
View attachment 63274
Terrific info, Sean. I see you have found my Suzuki S40 forward controls initial concept quick drawing. Awesome.

BTW, I have yet to figure out how to thank someone on here to where it shows up as # of times thanked under their avatar. Until then, thanks a bunch, Sean.

· Registered
2,227 Posts
I believe it counts a "like" as a "thanks". But, you're most welcome! I'm inspired by your drive to improve, impressed at your thorough research and development, and humbled by your desire to share it without any thought as to what you might gain from it! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool.

In the s40 FC drawings the top was a FC that member Ed L over on the Suzuki Savage/S40 forum made in his shop and sold to members. I bought and installed a set. In the top pic of his, the threads rod went between the FC plates, was positioned in front of the frame and eliminated flexing. My bottom drawing essentially added a highway peg setup to the design by extending the FCs and adding a second threaded rod with sleeve and pegs could be attached to the ends.

· Registered
455 Posts
I have used " Haltbrakes.com". afew times. I go tto the home page, and type in the search box "brakelines". Under motorcycle yo can order +2, +4 inch....etc for a given bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts