RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been lurking the forums for a bit just wanted to post my latest mod On here.
After looking around for a decent set of crash bars and not finding any or ones that where more expensive to ship then to order or way over priced i decided to build my own bear in mind this is just version 1.0 first time building crash bars so any feed back is welcome. The only think im thinkin of doing soo far is moving the t on the brace foward some to better protect and fill the tube so it doesnt collapse as much. But over all for now im happy with it. Only spent about 20 bucks in steel and i bought too much and used some other plate i had laying around so all in this prolly cost me 30 bucks to make. Pretty stong with the steel bars and such might go chomemoly later on depending on price. But thanks for checking it out. if anyone has any suggestions or has done this before and has any tips it would be appreciated.
thanks.



Started off making some brakets outa plate i had laying around and picking up a few extra longer bolts to hold it all in place sits into the frame which i think would make it stronger then the ones ive seen where the braket comes off the frame and hangs into nothingness mounted on a bolt. these are two brakets one off engine mount and one off frame



Test fitt of the top of the t bar from the top two mounting brakets Started with two about 90s then changed to about a 90 towards the back and a lesser angle in the front so it doesnt digg in when falling.



Test fitting of the bottom of the t brace ending up moving it back a little to get clearance for the bolt that holds the bracket in place.



Tac welding in place to check fit.



Painted and ready to crash. I think in next version im going to move the bottom of the T foward more or angle it back from the front to give the case better protection in a moving crash and not just a drop. about 4 hours in at this point. not too bad for first time and a days work. just finish welded and spray painted matt black might do a power coat with next versions.



close up of the bottom bracket and mounting point.


Close up of second top mounting point top left above oil filler area
This is just the rear break pedal side of bike for those that are wondering still have to do the other side next week
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Nice Job. They look like the GIVI model.

It would be worth posting:
How lomg the project took you (ie 16 days, workiing 2 hours every other day, ect..)
Parts cost ( and possibly where to get them).
Also all the tools you used so people know what it takes.

I myself are looking into getting some crash bars but I think I will be buying mine. I may post something to get suggestions.

Anyways, they look great. Thanks for the post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice Job. They look like the GIVI model.

It would be worth posting:
How lomg the project took you (ie 16 days, workiing 2 hours every other day, ect..)
Parts cost ( and possibly where to get them).
Also all the tools you used so people know what it takes.

I myself are looking into getting some crash bars but I think I will be buying mine. I may post something to get suggestions.

Anyways, they look great. Thanks for the post.
Took me about a day mostly because it was first time and i made some test fits and changes during but now that i got it down other side should take about 6 hours or so.

Only about 40 bucks in parts steel paint flat iron etc and still have plenty left for the other side.. had welding stuff and bender already.
Materiels Can be purchased at any large chain hardware store.. Might do it outa cromoly next time as that runs about dollar or two a foot so mabye 20 bucks if that for way better metal but better to start cheap. for v 1.0

Tools.. welder, bar bender, assorted metric sockets and hex heads for hardware on the bike the two front bolts on the bike need to be replaced with ones about half an inch longer cut to fit.

I didnt go into great detail because i figured that some one who would do this would pry be able to figure out what it took as its nothing special equipt wise Depending on ones view on how specialized the mig welder is (used gassless flux core if anyone cares) It was more for helping people with the issues i had when starting (my design criteria being: figuring out good mounting points on bike with out having to do anything to frame but remain solid, designing brackets that dont interfere, making it easily removable and replaceable and overall look/design which was the part that took the most work .)


Also i added another part yesterday the bar that goes off the at about a 45 off of the main bar to better protect the rectifier cover (sorry if that's the incorrect name) as before it would have been exposed a little still Im not sure how i feel about the look yet but its pretty protected now.




For the bracket on this upgrade of crash bars V 1.1 I just welded a rounded piece of plate to the top of u bolt and made a smaller piece for the back for the bolts to torque down on.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top