RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening my fiance and I shook hands with a stranger and watched as he and his wife drove away with one of our two cars, leaving us standing in our driveway with our remaining transportation: one car, one motorcycle. The deal is done, folks; I'm on this bike now every day whether I want to ride or not! :thud:

Going through the experience of selling a car and switching to a motorcycle has brought up many mixed feelings for both of us. We're sooo glad to be free of the car payments and insurance payments, but we know it comes at a price of a different sort. We'll have to plan our schedules so that we can both do what we need to do without car conflicts. I will have to ride in the heat, the cold, the rain, the snow, all of it. If the bike needs work, it's got to get done ASAP or I've got no way to get around. And then there's the risk factor, which you could argue as being higher or lower since I'm on the bike so much (I've logged over 4,000 miles in less than 4 months, so I certainly stay in practice!). All these things we have to deal with, and sometimes it can seem like this was a dumb idea.

Then there's the positive side of the coin. No more car payments (I bought the bike outright). Insurance costs half what the car did (and that's for the best coverage). My commute is infinitely more fun. :righton: I get around 45 mpg whether I'm in traffic or on the highway. Maintenance is cheap and with the help of the awesome people on this forum, I can do most of it myself. I've gone from being another suburbanite at my office to being "that rebel guy who rides a motorcycle". :killingme :headbang: And did I mention that my commute is infinitely more fun?

All in all we're glad the car is gone and we're happy to be operating on a more economical plan, even if it does cause some inconvenience from time to time. With the cost of fuel rising and no end in sight, I think we motorcyclists are well ahead of the curve when it comes to dealing with the problem. These machines are certainly not for everyone, but let's face it, much of the world depends on two-wheeled machines for transportation. I was recently in Guatemala and there are more motorcycles than cars there (little 125 cc putters, of course). People who can afford to own and fuel big vehicles, on the global scale, are truly rich, and even here in America that form of transportation is becoming more of a luxury.

Plus, it must feel pretty embarrassing to pull up to the pump in your H2 and spend 90 bucks while the guy next to you is spending 14, and you're both getting to your destinations just the same. OPEC can kiss my a$$!

If you own a bike, ride it! Motorcycles are great transportation! You'll gain many benefits for your occasional inconvenience, and the more commonplace we are on the road, the safer the road will be for all of us. :thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
Hope it goes well for you! The no car payments part is great.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
I hear you....

I've been blessed to be able to take the motorcycle for work the last 2 days. I didn't have to carry many tools and the weather was great. I did just over 400 miles and spent $24 on gas! Riding the ZR easy, I got over 55 MPG each day! That part rocks.

I went to fill up my Honda Civic today. It gets right at about 40 MPG for me most of the time. But the pump I went to showed the previous customer had put around 32 gallons in something and his total on the pump was $126.00!!:Wow1::Wow1: All I could say was "Better him than me!!!"

Ride safe ACAV and keep us posted on how it works out!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Way to go dude! If my job was not right on top of the MARTA station, and I did not have to pay for parking, I'd ride more often.

Bus pass - $3.50/day
Parking - 5/day
Riding anytime and anywhere - priceless

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Car payment=:AR15firin
I am looking to pickup a 08 250 Ninja so I can make parts for them. I have lost count on how many dealers are out and have been out of stock. Lot of people going to bikes for commuting. Maybe if I get a blue one everyone will think that its my 1400 and not laugh :laugh:
Gary

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,741 Posts
In a few weeks you'll think it as normal. I've never had a breakdown on my ZR's so hopefully a little planned maintenance in between will keep the gremlins elsewhere.

At least now you can start saving for that backup ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My car was ditched for me, for real, someone ran it into a ditch, so I have been without 4 wheels since early April. I was going to buy just something to get back and forth to work in, but with gas prices going up like crazy I may just stay on two wheels for a while and just save the money to get something nice later in the year before winter, who knows, winters are not that bad, may just keep riding everyday.

You will get use to riding everyday and at least you have the one car to haul stuff when needed. Let me tell ya, grocery shopping is not what it use to be. :)

Good luck to ya!!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
No car and just a bike? It'll be a hell of a lot easier for you to do it than me. The term "snow" is Georgia would be substantially different than the snow we had in Canada's capital last winter. If I may though, I would suggest investing if a great rainsuit (maybe 2), and heated grips. Other than that, remember everyone is trying to kill you, and you'll get along just fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah! Time to save up for the backup ride...I like the way you're thinking Bert! :D

Since I got the ZR7 in February I've only driven to work in a car a few times, most were while I was waiting for a clutch cable after mine broke. But now there's no backup car, so I've got 2 extra cables now, along with extra throttle cables. Hey there's a good idea for a thread! What important spare parts and tools to keep on hand when depending solely on your scoot for transportation? (probably been done before).

We know Berto has everything under the sun in those luggage cases. Never know when you might need a spare kitchen sink, right?

And you're right, CBRlady, grocery shopping is a different animal altogether now. I recently stuffed 80 bucks worth of groceries into a military duffle and bungeed it to the back of the bike. Looked ridiculous, but it worked!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I haven't owned a car in 8 years. Had my bike for 6. Every time I use a car now, I know why old-school bikers call them "cages"!!!:wink:

·
Timex
752 Posts
I wish I could ride every day, but it just doesn't work out. I work pretty early (leave the house before 6 am) and warming up the bike right under my neighbor's bedroom window at that hour would not be kind. On the days I work later I try to ride.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The term "snow" is Georgia would be substantially different than the snow we had in Canada's capital last winter.
Craig,
I hear ya. I love all of these "southerners" with no car :laugh: More power to ya if you can do it :agree:
Gary

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thats about 8-10 inches out of 265+ for the year :2far:
At least the good citizens of Vegas and LA will be able to water their lawn this year.
Gary

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Good for you, acav80, for going forward with this. I wish I could do that but my life won't permit it, plus we get quite a bit of snow around here once in awhile during the winter months.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i've done it as well

We've taken that decision last year in june as well. Back then, I didn't have a motorcycle, just a bike, but I worked 1 km from my home...
In the meantime, I got the ZR7s, and I changed jobs to 250 km from home.....
Half of my comute is done by train, the other half by motorcycle. And I love it! Given the proper equipment, rain isn't going to stop me, and neither is cold. Just frost and heavy wind is.

Since our only car is permanently in use by my wife, I only have the bike. But I can use my parents car if needed, and the company has a car I can use sometimes.

And in a years time, max 2, I get a company car, so it's only temporarily ... But I'm having so much fun on the bike I might regret getting a car for free:silly:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TimC - I hear ya, not everybody's situation permits it and honestly I'm sure ours won't for the long term. There are times when the car wins out, unfortunately. Too bad they're so boring by comparison. I'm just glad it's working for us right now, and that the soon-to-be wifey is ok with it. :dance: :woot:

Dunewar - Way to go, man! Had any mechanical problems since you've been depending on the 7S? That's one of my big concerns is having it out of commish and being stranded with just 1 car for 2 commutes. :doh I only ride 15 minutes each way, so even a bicycle could serve as backup, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I was thinking about doing this too. The past month, I may have taken my truck to work 3 times and each time it was because I needed to pick something big up on the way home. But my truck is paid off and with gas as it is, I wouldn't get much for it, plus it is nice to go to Lowes and through all the crap I buy in the bed. I'll probably just continue to do what I've been doing which is riding as much as possible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dunewar - Way to go, man! Had any mechanical problems since you've been depending on the 7S? That's one of my big concerns is having it out of commish and being stranded with just 1 car for 2 commutes. :doh I only ride 15 minutes each way, so even a bicycle could serve as backup, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.
No problems whatsoever. The only problem I see is that storage space is limited, so running errands and going to a store is difficult. I do have a large GIVI top case, but that's filled with my backpack with laptop. Maybe I should get saddle bags to do grocery shopping...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Me and my fiance work together (same hours, too) so we sold the extra car. We now have a mustange gt vert, the ninja 250, and the 03 busa. We've been taking either bike to work almost every day. HUGE gas saving, even on the busa I get 45-50 two up.

We're moving to a house 3 miles away from work at the end of this week-so we'll be riding bicycles from now on. I'm gonna really stick it to the man!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts