RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I know the answer to this already, but I thought I would ask. Is there a product to remove the bronze discoloration of the chrome header pipes? Or will a simple chrome polish do it? Or is it that just the way it is, so live with it? When metal becomes discolored by heat, I believe that's it. period.

kelly

·
Registered
89 Posts
I actually like that bronze color.. I think some company even makes a slip-on with the coloration like that.. Probably makes people think you're super hot =)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
A machine shop/metal polisher can polish them up for a few bucks.

I have tried alloy wheel polish, brasso, steel wool etc and nothing seems to work.

:)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i have to concur. you might be able to polish the pipes back to new with lots of elbow grease and a polish designed for this, there are several on the market, but it will just turn color again over time.

scott

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
You can get "Gumption" in 6-packs and 1 liter bottles at the corner liquor store.
Sent a "Newby" to supply for a box of grid squares once. They were on back order.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
I think grid squares are also sold in auto parts stores. They're in between the Conifulator Pins and the Muffler Bearings.

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I thought the header pipes were supposed to be that colour?

That's how mine came from the factory anyway. I think they treat or colour them during manufacture, so that when they really do discolour due to heat, you don't notice it so much.

There's not much you can do about it anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discolored Header Pipes

Kelly,
I use a product called "BLUE MAGIC" Metal Cleaner / Polish.
It works on Chrome, Aluminum and any unfinished / painted metal. My 2001 ZR-7S has 2700 miles on it and the pipes look like new. Yes they are a bit more yellow than the can, but there is a major heat difference and stainless does tend to discolor with heat. The Blue Magic comes in tubes and I got it at my local auto parts store. It still requires a little rubbing and polishing but the bike loves the attention.
:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yellow Pipes

No power tools, just a good old terri cloth towel and the tube of Blue Magic....I think I had a Budweiser in my other hand!!!:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
You'll probably need to disable the exhaust gas reburn. This device allows unburnt fuel to continue burning in the exhaust system for longer than it would otherwise. Its the main cause of heat stain (apart from thrashing the bike). My pipes are unstained since I disabled it .:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts