RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20161114_092834.jpg

So.... long story short, Hurricane Matthew comes through and kills power for like 3 days. I'm barbecuing in the garage cause it's the only way I can cook. Gust of wind comes through and blows a piece of wood right onto my gas tank.... sad face.

Was able to put in an insurance claim but still looking to fix the thing in the most cost effective manner. It's not that bad, but I can't un-see it and it bothers the crap out of me. Any experience with fixing something like this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have it painted will take a little filler to smooth it out shouldn't be much more than 300 to fix it. If you were in North Alabama we could do it for you @paintbyderril

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have it painted will take a little filler to smooth it out shouldn't be much more than 300 to fix it. If you were in North Alabama we could do it for you @paintbyderril
Thanks! I'll look into that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
try magic pop or dent out,i had a ding in my tank and it removed it pretty good,the tanks on these bikes are very thin metal.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
If the paint is not damaged, one of the paintless dent removal places that come to you is an option.

Most of those people are into motorcycles and have all kinds of crazy tools to remove dents.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
I don't have any tips better than what's been said. Indeed, among motorcycles there's little more that pangs than damaging the gas tank. LOL I think most of us would prefer totaling the bike (as crazy as it really seems)! Just seems so permanent. My condolences brother, hope you can get it fixed with not too much effort.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
What is shocking is how dang easy it is to dent a tank. My house is pretty average, but my garage is large. It will hold close to six, full sized cars. I was working on the drywall, on the ceiling. I emptied the garage, but it was snowing, so I did not want my sv650 to get snowed on.

Could it hold 100 motorcycles, probably. But thats how much area the sv took up. No big deal.

So, I'm sticking the tape, over the joint, and the drywall knife slips from my hand.

Now, lets do the match, here. In over 99% of the garage floor space, knife falls and hits concrete floor. That did not happen.

Even the motorcycle, itself. It could have hit the seat, or plastic windshield. Nope. When it fell, its weighted, metal end drilled the painted part of the tank. Nice dent.

I had to stop. Fate was against me The tool was cleaned, and put away. The ladder was next.

I set it back in its place. I'll tie tie it down, later. (mistake 2)

Im bringing the car in. The doorr was in motion, up, but enough space to sneak a car in. Time was important as snow was accumulating on the car.

As the car stops, door hits top of its stop. The vibration hits the ladder. It falls, and drills the new car on its rear fender. The luck, and odds to this happening was like your mistress giving birth to Little Baby Jesus, but it happened.

So, my recommendation of the painless dent removal guy is from experience. He did an amazing job on both dents. Surprising I did not have three for him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good deal guys. I'm gonna look into the dent removal service and see how that goes. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My buddy does PDR, i am taking my tank and rear fender to him this winter (can't believe its a week before thanksgiving, and in N Indiana, it's 70* !)

these guys are either miracle workers or hacks, check with those who have used them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts