RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that quite a few folks on here are not just motorcycle savvy but seem to be computer savvy too. I am going to purchase a digital camers for myself as a Christmas present. What are you guys using and do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let me see if I can help you with this. First off check out this web site. This has more info on cameras then you ever wanted to know.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Don't read to much into the reviews, you will get some serious information overload. There will be a rating at the end of the review if you want to see if a camera is worth while or not. There is a lot of good info but the reviews are very indepth. It will be a good place to learn about digital camers though.

I presently own a Fuji MX2900. It is a 2.3 megapixal camera w/ a 3x zoom. I got a good deal on it because it is no longer in production. Most of the FujiFilm Finepix line get decent reviews but there are better cameras out there. My recommended choices are Nikon (some of the best you can get), Canon G1 or G2, and Olympus.

It will come down to what can you afford. If you go cheap get at least a 1 megapixal camera, anything below that is not worth the money. If you got $400 to $600 then that opens the field up for you and can shop for a 2 megapixal or higher. Got $700 to $900, then get a Nikon 990/995 or Canon G1/G2 (my mother has a G1 and it takes some great pics. beats the crap out of my mx2900. The G2 is even better but at $900 retail......well)

Well, I hope this will get you started at least. Be careful, this could be the start of a whole new hobby.

If you have any specific questions let me know, I will try my best to answer them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
digital

Triple is right, sort of, about the Polaroid camera. I have one of them and for me, it works well. However, look at the s/n of these units if you are about to buy one of them. BE WARNED.......any of these cameras with a "G" in the serial number are CRAP! Something to do with the chips or something. Anyway, there is no known recall on these things, so just pay attention. Let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Anything by Kodak is good, but you get what you pay for, eg. more money should (ceteris paribus get you a better quality lens and/or more resolution.

Agree with 1 megapixel as the lowest standard you should consider.

Also, don't buy anything where you can't add more memory. My Kodak DC 215 (out of production now) came with just 4mB flash memory. I've just bought a 64mB chip for it, which gives me capacity for over 200 highest res photos. Although out of date, it's still a very good camera for an inexpensive digital (about $US250 when I bought it).

A USB (not serial) link to your computer is a must, unless you do what I did, and buy a cheap PCMCIA converter thing (about $US5 for your notebook. That way, the computer just looks at the flash memory as though it were another disk drive, so it's quite quick to transfer files.

Also beware that optical zoom capability is superior to digital zoom capability. And one other warning - digital cameras tend to eat batteries, particularly if you don't turn off the LCD display on the back.

If you just want to try out digital stuff to see if you really like it, a very nice little camera (which doubles as a net camera) is the Kodak EZ200 which I've just bought for my son at about $US100. It's not the greatest camera in the world, but it actually does take quite passable photos. It also records short videos. And (as I said) can be used as a netcam. You can find some details on ...
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/cameras/ez200/;jsessionid=32EOKYPZGU2VVQHIO2SXWKA

Digital photography is the greatest - you'll find yourself taking lots more photos than you used to, simply because you can.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Paradox,

Funny you mention this. I just purchased a digital camera on Saturday myself! It's a Sony Cybershot with 1.3 mega pixels and 6X zoom. Does a decent job, but then again, what do I know? This is my first digital camera! What I DO know is try to get one that has optical zoom as well as digital. Optical zoom is like that on a normal camera. Much clearer when zooming in to relatively distant objects. A digital zoom will not be as clear, as it gets really grainy. I paid aroud $300 for mine.

I'm still trying to figure out how to shrink the images to fit the 140x140 pixel standards (I think that is what it is) for this forum so it appears under my name when I post.

Emrah

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
I personally don't own a digital camera, but we have a Sony Mavica at the office that I have used to post all of my pics here. It uses a 3.5 floppy and produces pretty damn good photos. I have used this camera for photos used in legal proceedings, and since I can authenticate them myself (my floppy disk) it makes things easy on the job. I had the pleasure of using a wide variety of digi cameras at a 2-week "Advanced photograhy course for law enforcement" last year at FLETC. If you've got about $5 grand to spend, the Nikon D1 is absolutley "fantastic." If Andy had one with his expertise in photoshop, well, I don't even want to think about it. Tom ;)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
You gotta admit, the horns on the front fender are pretty cool.:laugh:

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Your'e welcome, Andy. You definately deserved the plug. I've tried using photoshop myself, what a pain, but I did get a good landscape photo on the wall at FLETC for a color photo that I doctored up a little, which is an honor of sorts for the course I attended last year. Tom :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
paradox- I'm not sure what kind of money you're planning on spending on your Christmas present, but it looks like you have received some good advice for middle to upper end cameras. But if you just want .... say... a Tuesday or Wednesday present for yourself, have I got a deal for you!:rolleyes:

Like they say, you get what you pay for. So don't boot me out of the site because of my lowbrow purchase. I got a new digital camera for $29 off of e-bay a few weeks ago. Hey, it's the yugo of cameras, I know. But hell, I couldn't resist. As far as I know, they're still selling them like hotcakes.

It's a JamCam 3.0. 640 x 480 resolution. Holds 8 pics. Has a flash and LCD display. And it takes a regular 9V battery! Comes with JamCam CD ROM and 2 cables (USB and serial), and Adobe Photodeluxe CD ROM. Look at my post on "Stickers, Decals, etc" for a sample picture.

I just got it for posting on e-bay, sending family pics, and miscellaneous goofing. I still use the old fashioned cameras for real memory keepers. Just throwing my 2 cents in. Good luck!

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
It's definitely not at the top of the pile as far as really high quality photos, but I have a Sony Mavica FD-90, and I love it. The convenience of being able to snap a quick 15 shots on a 3.5" floppy disk is BY FAR more valuable to me than having something with 3 Megapixel resolution. I think mine is 1.3 Megapixel, and it's just fine for all I do with it. The only time you need to worry about higher resolution is if you plan to use your digital photos to produce large photo prints (8 1/2" x 11", etc.). But for web photos, you won't notice the higher resolution since monitors can't display that high of resolution. The Mavica also has the ability to accept memory sticks instead of floppies if you need to store a bunch of pics in it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tom Bozeman said:
Hey George, where are you? I've seen your website with family photos. What DID you use? Tom
I just have an Olympus D-360 I believe it is 1.3 megapixel, If I remeber right we bought it almost a year ago and it was around $200. It works good enough for me and you can print photo quality pics at 8x10 on glossy photo paper.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We've got a Nikon 990. Very nice, no complaints. I think it was about 675.00. My husband usually buys Nikon. He takes underwater photography with a Nikonos and we have another little regular Nikon camera. We've never had problems with any of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everybody - I'm going to visit the sites that were mentioned and do some research. I am hoping to make a decision by next Friday and catch one of those great Black Friday sales. Thanks for the heads up on the optical vs. digital zoom and the megapixels too. I'll let you know which one I get get.

·
Silver Member
207 Posts
Thought I would throw one more out there....

I've got the Canon S100 (Digital Elph). It's a two mega-pixel camera that takes great close to medium range pictures. It only has 2 or 3 times optical zoom so its pretty limited for long range pics. Ignore the digital zoom on the camera, it does the same thing that you would do on the computer at home only not as well. The real selling point is its size: 3.5" wide X 2.3" tall X 1.2" deep (compare that to the dimensions of a credit card in your wallet). This thing will fit in your shirt pocket with room to spare!

I picked it because it's small enough that I NEVER leave it behind because I don't want to carry it. I drop it in the shirt pocket or a front pocket of my blue jeans and away I go.

It takes good pics and with reasonable use of the lcd display, I manage around 60 pictures on a charge of the battery.

Check out the link to Steve's digicams to see a review.

One other thing, if you get around 64 MB of storage on the CF or SmartMedia card, you should be able to hold a pretty full day of picture taking (somewhere around 80 - 100 pictures depending on how busy the subject/background is)

Good luck,

Craig

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Hey Craig, the review said the battery was "one use" and they're like $8.00 a piece. I don't know anything about cameras, but you can't make me believe that there's an $8.00 battery that's used one time and thrown away. What's the approximate lifespan of the battery?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts