RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Makes sense to me. Since we live in the good old USA where anyone can sue anyone for any reason what-so-ever, it really surprises me the Company doesn't limit the valve adjustment to 300 miles for the first check and every 1500 thereafter. Gouging is best done here where the money is easy and the lawyers are eager.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
my friend experienced a similar problem when he brought his acura to the states from canada. honda america will not honor his extended warranty and honda canada won't refund his money for the unused portion :(

scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you are right on the money Rocket. I live in Australia and the ZR7 comes with a 2 year unlimited kilometer warranty as well as the much more realistic maintenance schedule.
Maybe profit margins on the initial sale are pretty slim for dealers in the US and the only way to recoupe it is with these beefed up maintenance requirements for you guys

·
Registered
304 Posts
Valves

My valves needed adjustment at 3K miles. In fact, one exhaust valve was stuck open. The mechanic was in "shock." Many on this board have had the same valve condition at even lower miles.

So good luck with your warranty claim...

Philip
'00 ZR-7

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i had my first adjustment at 500 miles and again at 6000. both times valves needed adjusting. i think the 500 mile is very important and i wouldn't miss it. they get less critical after that since the valves have seated. after the first one i wouldn't be too worried if i went a thousand miles over.

with only two valves per cyclinder the valves have relatively large mass and stiff srpings so they can get out of adjustment more quickly than some the smaller 4 valve units. some of those can go 15,000 miles between adjustments.

scott :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
4 valve vs. 2 valve

rocketdog, i tired to find the original source but couldn't. the logi went this way: bigger valves are heavier and so need stiffer springs. the combination of higher mass and stiffer springs causes them to close with more force and put more stress on the seats and the valve stems. this will make the seats wear faster and the valves stems stretch sooner requiring more frequent adjustment.

it was the only argument that i heard to explain the difference that seemed to make any kind of sense. but you're right, the ratio of all this combined with seat area could negate the effects as could differences in lift, duration and cam profile. as you said, all other things are not equal.

also, air cooled engines run much hotter than water cooled, especially at the head. i've had lots of vw's, i know. all this drastic heating and cooling certainly isn't helping the valves stay within tolerances either.

scott

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i agree that the difference is weird. i'd be willing to shrug it off if we weren't all using the same gas.

i owned my bugs when i lived in new york and fiberglassing the floors back together was an annual ritual. once i just fiberglassed from the front seats back and ended up doing too good of a job. after driving through a 2' deep puddle at the beach (doesn't everybody?) the water would not drain and kept sloshing around in the car. i had to drill some holes when i got home. as a testament to my all time favorite car, it kept running all day even with sea water sloshing into the voltage regulator. what a car :)

BTW, this is where my love of things air cooled started ;)

scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts