RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for help from the ppl that would know best, 650 riders, anyways id like to know what the difference between 650r and ex650 is?? hopefully this isnt a stupid question for the "search"..... im bout to buy a 650 and i wanna know before i do. Also if anyone has one for sale, preferably crashed, let me know , cash in hand

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you tell your insurance company you have a Ninja 650r your insurance will cost hundreds more than a lowly ex650.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you tell your insurance company you have a Ninja 650r your insurance will cost hundreds more than a lowly ex650.
Or they'll just get your VIN number like most insurance companies ask for and call it whatever they have in their system...

There was an issue with Ninja 1000s - some insurance providers had it as a supersport where others had it as a streetbike like it should be.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Never say the word "Ninja" when getting an insurance quote. Just say "EX650". Same thing for when you search for parts online.

And is there a similar non-Ninja name for the new 1000? Is it EX-1000?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
what are you guys talking about....

they give you a quote based on its vin, not whatever you call it.

the manfacturers model name is the ex650. 650r/er6f is what the bike is marketed it as.
Besides, when was the last time "NINJA" meant anything?

Whatever you do don't don't call your CBR a "HURRICANE", the insurance company will know it's a front line SUPERSPORT! Haha.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I've also never had to give my VIN to get a quote. Maybe that's different in different states?
Or maybe your insurance company is smart enough to know EX650 = Ninja 650R = ER6F, based on the hundreds, if not thousands of people that have described the bikes as a EX650/Ninja 650R/ER6F then gave them the VIN when they bought the actual policy. A "quote" isn't the same as an actual policy, if I went in and asked my insurance to quote for a KLR650 and then went in and gave them the VIN for my ER6N, the quote would change

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
My buddy uses State Farm because they only go by the size of the motor, instead of the class of bike. Since all his bikes are Sport bikes he is happy.

I can't use State Farm because 3 of my bikes are over 1600 cc's.

VIN number is what the insurance company wants to create a policy.

·
Registered
746 Posts
^

and it seems to me progressive cares more for crash rates of a specific bike + year of it.

some higher cc bikes makes no difference in my ratings. i tried to put a 2011 250 under my name and it cost more than if i were to ensure my old 650 and the one i have now

·
Registered
82 Posts
this thread was about the differences in 650r 650 ex650 er6n but I guess it got changed to insurance quotes and such lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 2006 ex650a. I'd like to upgrade my clutch/brake levers. I see a lot on ebay shipping from China etc. that use model code ER6f. So these will fit in my OEM lever assembly? Anyone have lever suggestions for me? I'd rather not buy cheapo levers... but then again I do have a budget.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts