RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of damage am I looking at if I installed the tensioner and didn't retract it first? It is very resistant to turning over now even after I remove the tensioner completely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, I cringed a bit when I read this.

Retract it and reinstall.
DO NOT try to turn the bike over without any CCT installed.

Take off the inspection cap at the center of your stator cover. Most Kawasaki's turn counterclockwise (looking at it from the stator cover side on the left) but be sure to verify this and don't turn it backwards. Insert a socket and turn the engine over slowly with a ratchet. Stop if it's still "very resistant to turning over". Stop if it gives the slightest bit of a strange noise or seems weird in any way.

There's a chance everything will be ok but not a good chance.
There's a good chance you kinked or messed up the chain. That's a big job but not as big as it will be if you keep trying to start a bike with a messed up chain.
There's a chance it's already skipped timing and smacking valves in to your pistons. If you keep trying to start the bike like that it could write that engine off. If the bike does happen to start like that it will very quickly write that engine off.

If you're not comfortable with any of that ^^ you need to take it to someone that knows what they're doing. It may be small, it may be big, but if it's a small issue it will turn in to a big issue fast and the chances of no issue aren't great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts