RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice alot of people do this to their trucks, cars, and motorcycles. My question I guess is, why? Are you not proud of the brand you bought? All my bike say Kawasaki on them. I realize it may give it a cleaner look, but what about whoever you sell it to later? Or, why should someone have to ask what your bike is, and what if you are not around to ask? I am just asking for opinions, not criticizing anyone for doing it. thx. :glassesti

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I never understood the "de-badging" thing either.

Unless the vehicle has a custom high quality paint job, I automatically assume it has been repainted by a DIY and I would not even consider purchasing it unless it was priced way below retail.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I never understood the "de-badging" thing either.

Unless the vehicle has a custom high quality paint job, I automatically assume it has been repainted by a DIY and I would not even consider purchasing it unless it was priced way below retail.
You can debadge without needing to repaint on a lot of vehicles.

I personally like the look for the most part but it does make it annoying to figure out what brand/model the vehicle is sometimes.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
You can debadge without needing to repaint on a lot of vehicles.
I know that. It just makes me assume the vehicle has been repainted, because that would be the only reason to remove the badges IMO. Now removing the name of the dealer off a car is another matter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I debadged my altima coupe, and silverado. Both vehicles were easy to ID, Nissan and Chevy didn't pay me anything to sport their logos.. though I did leave chevrolet across the tailgaite on the silverado. I would never debadge the Z, because even with badges I still always get asked what it is lol. I dunno if this was a trickle down thing.. but in the camaro and firebird world the only quick easily identifiable way to tell a V8 from a V6 was the badging. Almost all of the ones at the local track were de-badged and until they would make a pass you didn't know what they had unless they would pop the hood for you. My formula is the same way but it still says formula, hard to tell at a glance so most people think its just a V6 firebird ;). If it had NO badge most would assume V8 so I left the formula badge on the side, and took off firebird and the hawk on the rear panel. De-badging can be done tastefully too ya know. Good luck finding any badge on a modified show car these days...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would never buy a used de-badged vehicle. For me to like it I would have to put all the badging on again. :2cents:

Nissan, and Chevrolet may not pay you to sport the logo, but you payed quite a bit for that logo; whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I would never buy a used de-badged vehicle. For me to like it I would have to put all the badging on again. :2cents:
Yes, I have done that. That is why I will pay less for a de-badged bike.

I have seen shows about antique cars. The badging actually adds value to the vehicle. As well as all the documentation and anything else that would have come with the vehicle when it was new.

·
Banned
142 Posts
Really, youd think a car was repainted cause badges were taken off, my f150 had every badge taken off within the first 2 weeks of ownership, the badges that would have left holes behind were acetoned to remove the black paint and take them to chrome and left alone. the 4x4 decals were crookid and I like the cleaner look

My z1k had the 1000 badge removed within the first week and the Kawasaki was taken off when I wrecked and repainted, it was getting repainted regardless of the wreck or not. i would rather ride/drive a vehicle that was "mine" than look like yours sittin next to me. Everything I own is pretty much like this.

·
Banned
142 Posts
I have seen shows about antique cars. The badging actually adds value to the vehicle. As well as all the documentation and anything else that would have come with the vehicle when it was new.
YEA this has a lot of relavence for the 10,000,000 (ok not a real number) 93 honda accords that will soon be collectors items

·
Registered
598 Posts
I love Kawasaki and I'm thinking about '08 black badges on my '07 black Z1000 but I still haven't read a post here from those that have de-badged.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Nissan, and Chevrolet may not pay you to sport the logo, but you payed quite a bit for that logo; whether you like it or not.
With the nissan no doubt I payed for the logo.. but my formula that I got at half kbb and 3k below black book at the auction that just isn't the case.

For the debate of badging affecting resale... I haven't had any trouble selling my debadged rides for above average resale. That said I'm careful about how I modify, nothing over the top or that can't be easily returned to stock. At the end of the day its just nuts, bolts, and stickers so do what you want with it *shrug*. Gotta be careful with paint though, as far as collector value repainting my formula killed it. 1 of 188 formulas w/ 6 spd and hardtop, but it can be repainted and for now its exactly how I want it, and at shows no one cares whether the gray w/ silver pearl coat, or solid black rear panel was stock or not :p

That aside... my original point was I think people debadging bikes is just like what I was getting at with the camaros and firebirds at the racetrack. A 600 and liter look so similiar that with no badging you could be in for a surprise....

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
YEA this has a lot of relavence for the 10,000,000 (ok not a real number) 93 honda accords that will soon be collectors items
You have a point there, but then again, If I saw a debadged Accord I would assume it has been wrecked and repaired.

But then again, I'm not a kid so I wouldn't be looking at Accords anyway. I like my cars to be comfortable the few times a year that I'm in one.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
-Racing Tiger
Is black book anything like blue book, LMAO! (oh yeah, and I never said anything about the Pontiac, just the Chevy and Nissan)

I guess I am proud of what I got, and like showing it off for what it is, and not what someone thinks it is or isn't.

-twowheeladdict
I pretty well agree with your statements.

-grapeapeguyexcept for two things
1. what if I consider making the bike mine by leaving the badges on
2. if it bothers you so much to have a bike everyone else has, then mod it, make it yours that way.... I am just saying there are hundreds of other things you can do besides debadge a bike for individuality... I don't have that problem, b/c I am the only orange '03 Z1k within at least 100 miles of my home.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lol yeah it is. Black book is for dealers, it is average selling price at the auction block based on mileage and condition.

I don't reall get debadging either except in the cases I mentioned, but most people on the road these day want you to know if they have the meanest machine out there, so in general I don't get it either. Maybe it comes from the exotics? They usually have a single unnoticeable nameplate and even less noticeable brand badge, except for ferrari where its on every wheel :p

·
Registered
198 Posts
A lot of people debadge their cars in Europe so people think you have a more expensive car than you really have. For example, A BMW 520i looks virtually identical to a 540i. So people with 520is might take the badge off so no one knows they have the bottom rung model.

On the other hand, if you wanted to go stealth, you could remove the M3 badges on your Bimmer and let people assume you have a 318i when they pull up to you to race at a red light.

I actually wish my ZR-7S had a badge on the engine cover under the seat so people would know what bike it is. People always ask me what it is.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A lot of people debadge their cars in Europe so people think you have a more expensive car than you really have. For example, A BMW 520i looks virtually identical to a 540i. So people with 520is might take the badge off so no one knows they have the bottom rung model.
I want to punch posers like that. In my area there are so many people either debadge or rebadge wrong things on their cars. Been a car guy for a while and can basically tell what the car is by looking at it ( japs and most euros only).

There were so many times I've caught people in 3 series' putting ebayed M badges on that I just look at them, face palm and thumbs down them. Some of them don't even put the effort in doing that though. Saw a guy with the M fenders and badge but had the i328 single side exhaust on; gave me a good lol though.

And to end my lil rant, I also despise the ricer civic's that put type R badges when type R models were produced in Japan only :nono:.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Okay, badging your car or motorcycle something it is not is pretty lame, but I have seen some motorcycles that have been de-stickered, and they look pretty good. Mostly they have been sportbikes, which tend to be a little busy in the visual department in my opinion. Seeing as all I have on my poor little ZR-7S is a tank sticker and tail sticker, and they look like they are under clear coat, I let em stay there. However, I do not foresee myself placing ZX-10 stickers on my bike anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I debadged my Z1000 because I thought it looked better with no markings to break up the curves of the bodywork. It's a personal choice and I just prefer it that way. I've debadged most of my other vehicles as well. I think a lot of manufacturers stickers and logos are just ugly and prefer the clean lines. But it depends on the vehicle. As far as rebadging goes, that's just lame. If you need your ego stroked so bad that you would try to pass your vehicle off as a more sporty/exotic/expensive model, you really need to work on your self esteem!

I think debadged is a sleek, clean, and sexy look for the Z...

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I debadged my Z1000 because I thought it looked better with no markings to break up the curves of the bodywork. It's a personal choice and I just prefer it that way. I've debadged most of my other vehicles as well. I think a lot of manufacturers stickers and logos are just ugly and prefer the clean lines. But it depends on the vehicle. As far as rebadging goes, that's just lame. If you need your ego stroked so bad that you would try to pass your vehicle off as a more sporty/exotic/expensive model, you really need to work on your self esteem!

I think debadged is a sleek, clean, and sexy look for the Z...

That is a very nice looking bike.

If I saw it for sale on craigslist though I wouldn't be willing to pay blue book for it though. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts