RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
85 Posts
I wish I could remember the exact cause of my crash. I accept full responsibility as I know I was pushing my limits as well as the tires limits in the rain I was riding in. But I'd sure like to know what I did or the tires did. I highly suspect I chopped the throttle because the last thing I saw was a blur of a yellow warning sign. But 70mph in frog choking rain the the twisties isn't brilliant to start with so that's on me. But I'd been riding like that for over 30 minutes. However, I had not hit a blind "S" turn in that 30 minutes either. Cresting a hill and suddenly realizing I was already in the first part of the turn I'd bet money I chopped the throttle. But I darn near made it looking at the scene latter. 5 feet more of road instead of a 15 foot deep ditch might have worked but I'll never know. Could yellow goldwing guy have done the same? I was knocked out for at least 45 minutes. That's why I have no memory of the actual crash I'm sure. My first 3 days in the hospital was in intensive care due to the concussion. But I was at fault no matter what. I could have said sand had washed into the road like goldwing guy. That would help no one.

·
Administrator
2,716 Posts
I could have said sand had washed into the road like goldwing guy. That would help no one.
Yeah - it sounded a pretty suss excuse given how the guy rides/rode with a CT. Apparently he gave up riding in 2014 after writing off his GL.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Im sorry he got hurt, and it's cool that he decided to talk about it. I'll do the same.

B46, the Goldwing rider wishes he had the skills to ride like that, too. Turns out, he didnt.

Notice how the car tire was excellent for him, until that day he hit the sand. Sand,in a turn, isnt a death sentence. Dirt Bike riders handle this, no problem, so what went wrong? If his bike had a normal rear tire, could he have made it through?

This is why you dont use car tires. When you get into an emergency situation, you need the bike to perform at 100%. It needs to perform way above your ability to have a fighting chance. He chose to give up his edge, on several levels. Too fast for conditions. Tires not well suited to conditions, and I dont know what else.

Try the car tire, if you want, but if you do, ride as if you have a car tire. Dont try to sell us on how awesome this is.

·
Registered
2006 Buell XB12Ss, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2018 BMW R1200RS
58 Posts
Over here on the opposite coast, we have a crazy little 6 mile road (HWY 229 to Crestin CA) that is affectionally called Rossi's Driveway (for if Rossi designed his driveway, this is what it should look like). I was going up north by myself to meet up with other riders and I rode Rossi's going north. Two weird things happened: 1. A big buck deer with huge antlers leapt from a hill above the road over my head and landed 20 ft on the other side. It was one of the most athletic things I have ever seen. #2 was a lone cowboy boot in the middle of Rossi's which I thought was weird.

The group ride took us back over to Rossi's and this time we are going south. I was one bike behind a very skilled and accomplished older rider on a black Gold Wing. About halfway thru, I look up and there was a big cloud of dust. It was the gold wing crashing. The rider was "ok but kinda shook up."

His top case exploded sending his stuff all over the road and we gathered up everything we could see. Left in the middle of the road? The cowboy boot. I still wonder today if that caused him to loose concentration or if there were other factors.

The point is that it is easy to get caught up in a moment and exceed your skills or your bikes limits. Stay safe..

·
American Legion Rider
85 Posts
I still wonder today if that caused him to loose concentration or if there were other factors.
He probably chopped the throttle when he suddenly saw the boot. Might have hit the rear brake as icing on the cake to insure to crash. It's things like that on the road that is hard tp practice for. Emergency moves. Real time real life emergencies bring out the worst in us. I highly suspect I did absolutely everything wrong in my crash or maybe that should be everything right to assure I'd crash. I really don't know of a good way to practice for real emergency moves but would bet EVERYONE'S first instinct would be to chop the throttle and that seldom goes well.

·
Administrator
2,716 Posts
Left in the middle of the road? The cowboy boot. I still wonder today if that caused him to loose concentration or if there were other factors.
I would have run right over that sucker...lol.

Actually, here in the Philippines there are lots of distractions when riding: furked up roads, squatters living on the sides of the roads in shanties and treating the road like it's their living room - wandering across when it suits them.

Then there are the stray dogs and chickens, pigs, and goats that will just step out in front of you. So there is no 'casual ride' here. You are on edge all of the time. But the flip side is that it keeps you alert and keeps your reaction times on point.

I have run over three dogs that ignored my horn - I brake just before impact, off the brakes and then ride over them. Not going down because of some stray mongrel.

·
American Legion Rider
85 Posts
I have run over three dogs
I've nailed 2 myself. It's the wild hogs and deer that get my attention. If you hit a dog sized pig you might find yourself in the hospital. That recently happened to a Harley rider I know. Hog hits hog should have been the headline in our local paper but they passed on the pun. The rider survived but it totaled the bike. I don't think that pig weighed much over 100 pounds but it sure took him out.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts