RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by accident,while wiping down the bike I found a hose that seamed to be plugged with a cap for some reason.
it was behind the clutch side air filter..it looks like it was supposed to be attached to a nipple at the bottom of the filter's case,in the backside...anyone have an idea why it was capped or what its for? I am the second owner and there are aftermarket pipes on.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
dangling hose. :FIREdevil

Man when I read that subject line I was like OK, where is this thead going? :nono::2far:

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's funny twowheel.........

·
Registered
580 Posts
I moved my idle solenoids over there and used hoses into that air filter, maybe they did the same but then unplugged them and capped them off? Otherwise maybe they relocated the crankcase breather hose, which shouldn't be capped? Two things to check out anyway... Another thing is the reed valve assembly plumbing, maybe that stuff is still under the tank but blocked off.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Do you have a stock intake? We encountered that hose when installing the new intake on ecoli's meanie. We just discarded it since its plugged so its not needed. If you have the stock intake, you would need it only to plug that bottom hole. My theory is maybe its something that is only actually used for something on california emission standard meanies. On all others its just capped.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Its a drain line, can't remember if it was for the battery or the oil breather. Its in the maintenance manual, just too lazy to read through it to find it.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a drain line, can't remember if it was for the battery or the oil breather. Its in the maintenance manual, just too lazy to read through it to find it.
I dont know what it could drain,its has a plug in it and a metal clamp..It originates from under the tank and looks like its just in the right position to go into the breather case at the rear bottom of it..maybe it is something for cali.emmissions..
ps.it is stock setup..

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
○The air cleaner drain hose is provided beneath the right air cleaner housing, and catches the water or oil from the crankcase breather hose. Usually water or oil does not
collect at the bottom. In the event that rain water is drawn in through the air cleaner or if engine oil is blown back, drain the housing.
•Remove the left air cleaner housing (see Fuel System chapter).
•Remove the drain plug [A] from the air cleaner drain hose to drain the water or breather.
•Install the plug on its original position.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
○The air cleaner drain hose is provided beneath the right air cleaner housing, and catches the water or oil from the crankcase breather hose. Usually water or oil does not
collect at the bottom. In the event that rain water is drawn in through the air cleaner or if engine oil is blown back, drain the housing.
•Remove the drain plug [A] from the air cleaner drain hose to drain the water or breather.

Well there you go. The mystery of the dangling hose is solved. :glassesti

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

thats the thing,,that hose is not connected to the breather case,,,its dangling and capped...

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Then it came undone. Just look at a parts fiche to view it and see where it goes, bottom of the right air cleaner cover backing plate.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then it came undone. Just look at a parts fiche to view it and see where it goes, bottom of the right air cleaner cover backing plate.
maybe Im not explaining myself,,this hose has been capped deliberately,,it has a clamp on it to hold the plug in...It looks like it would have attached to the bottom of the LEFT side air filter(clutch side)..do you think it originates from the right side air cover?
Im going to try to get a good picture of it...

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The bottom was capped form the factory, if you mean the top being capped then the previous owner probably thought he was marbling it and did it completely wrong. I haven't had stock intakes on in ages so just check it out on a fiche, its one of the two on the bottom.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK here is a picture of the left(clutch) air cleaner,,from the side..showing the plug and the hose and clamp..the plastic nipple that comes ffrom the bottom of the air filter case is not plugged..the hose coming from underr the tank is.but it seems that this hose was meant to be attached to that nipple, but for some reason is capped off.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Look at the parts diagram or read the caption I quoted. It has a plug. Whats the problem? Reattach it, go for a ride.
Why Kawi put a plug on the end of a drain line I have no idea but its there. You're really overthinking this one.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look at the parts diagram or read the caption I quoted. It has a plug. Whats the problem? Reattach it, go for a ride.
Why Kawi put a plug on the end of a drain line I have no idea but its there. You're really overthinking this one.
I am probably not explaining it right so I guess Ill just forget it...The hose has been plugged since I have the bike,2 years now,with no issues..so Ill leave well enough alone..and Ill stop snooping around the bike..lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts