RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my new tires and called the dealer to see how much it will cost to mount and balance them and this is what they said, $160 if I drive the bike in and $80 if I bring the wheels in. Does this sound reasonable? I never had to change them so I don't know. It just seemed like alot to me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
mc33 said:
I just ordered my new tires and called the dealer to see how much it will cost to mount and balance them and this is what they said, $160 if I drive the bike in and $80 if I bring the wheels in. Does this sound reasonable? I never had to change them so I don't know. It just seemed like alot to me.
It takes me...

About 5 minutes to take wheel off
About 15 minutes to dismount/mount the tire.
About 10 minutes to balance it the old style way. The computer balance machine is probably quicker.

30 minutes = $39.38 from the auto dealership I work at.

this is for a rear tires on a '00 ZR-7. A pro can probably do all this work quicker.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
srogaski said:
That is a lot. Do you have a CycleGear store near you?
No CycleGear store near me. Maybe I'll try to find a small local shop. The other price was the local dealer. I'll have to ask some other local bikers where they get it done. One of my friends who is a long time rider just pulls the wheels and takes them to the dealer. Agghh. I hate to pay that much. Oh well. Maybe I can find someone who does it on the side.

·
Gold Member
190 Posts
That's what my local Honda/Yamaha dealer charges. An independent tire shop near me recently got motorcycle equipment and charges half that. I used to change my own but for $20 per tire, I'll let them do it (while I watch).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
$160 or $80 :ripped: :ripped: :ripped: :ripped: :ripped:
Find somewhere else to mount and balance. Check with motorcycle stores in your area. Most have a tire changing machine in the back.
Bringing in you own tire cost ranges from $10-30. Bringing in the bike having them take off and replace $40-60.

·
Registered
33 Posts
$80! Yikes! Highway robbery is what I say. I took the wheels off my 7S and took them to the dealer with the new tires. 1 hour later they were done. Cost me $43 for both, mounted and balanced (they charged me approximately 3/4 hour of labor and that was all.)

I will note, that if you do take the wheels off yourself invest in the following *before* you do so: 1 12mm allen wrench, 1 12mm hex socket and 1 6mm hex socket. Saves having to run around to various stores while your poor bike sits on a lift (ask me how I know this ;) )

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
$80 is a total rip. My local dealer - remember this is Canadian dollars too - charges $20 to change dirt bike tires, $25 for street tires. Even if they pull the wheels off, it would be way less than $80 - Canadian - to change both. I would stop dealing with that dealer immeadiately.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
mc33 said:
You are being ripped off. They are cuthroats.

I take the whole bike in and wait for the tires to be put on, ride home again on fresh rubber.

$ 25.00 per tire/wheel, mounted, balanced, and disgarding the old one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cycle Gear charge $30 if you bring your tire. They offer rubber valve replacement for $2 or metal one (permanent) for $5. Disposal fee is $3.

If you order tires through them installation is $15.

Normally they complete install and balance in 20 min.

However you have to bring your wheels, not the bike. And since I am doing this today - one related question:

Do you guys have the size 12 hex for the front wheel axle as part of your tool set? I don't have it in mine so I had to look to buy one. Finally found it at Sears for $9.
I think this is an important tool to carry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
r00t: Nope. The 12mm hex wasn't part of my toolkit, hence my tip about getting one prior to removing the wheels. You'll also need a 12mm and 6mm hex socket to put the front wheel back on (you can't torque with an allen wrench.)

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I win ;)

Just did my front for the first time and the local shop I brought it to (Ken's Motorcycle Tires in Woodstock, GA) charged me $20 with the wheel on the bike! I believe it's $35 (on the bike) if you don't get the rubber from them..

·
Registered
170 Posts
i just orderd 2 new diablo strada's and there gonna charge me 80 bucks to change from stock to new mounted and blanced i asked the guy if i could have a break on the instal because i was buying tires there he told me they gave me a cheaper price on tires to make up for it the front tire was 97.55 and the rear 136.75 im not sure if thats great on those tires but it seemed a little much.thats like 300 bucks for new tires i guess thats ok my cage cost 700 all around new toyo touring 60000 mile tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.