RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Certainly this ZR-7forum.com and the ZR-7.com sites take a little money to operate. No one has ever approached me to ask for money to keep either site operational or become an "associate/club/happy member". Personally hate to see that come out of one or a few pockets when many benefit.

Do you (Jarel/George/others) expect donations? as members? as non-members?

If not expecting/asking do you accept donations? Any suggested amount?

How would that be done? PayPal, send a check?

If 50 people (say out of 300 members) actually donated what would their average contribution be? For both sites to keep above water.

Berto

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Well, as luck would have it, we moved the forum to a new home a few months back and the space is being donated by one of our members who runs an ISP (Brian McElroy). Prior to that, we went through a couple of donation cycles over the past couple of years, but never anything regular. As the site sits now, it really doesn't cost much. The forum costs $35 / Year for the domain name and $125 one-time fee for the vBulletin software. ZR-7.com costs $20/ mo. for hosting and $35 / Year for the domain name. I've got a couple of banner ads on ZR-7.com that bring in about $10 / month. So it's really not an issue at the moment. I've thought a few times about offering a full/partial membership scenario where mayble people would pay $25 / year for a membership and have posting rights on the forum and get a free t-shirt and sticker, or something along those lines, but I've just been too lazy to implement it! :D

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jarel,

Maybe you could put a Pay-Pal icon up there for voluntary support of this forum and zr-07.com - this way you are not really asking. Some of us would be glad to throw in $10/20 a year just for the added value we get from all the support. A money counter would be cool to show the site is in the black to some projected date. And if someone sent in some bucks via Pay-Pal they could see that their donation updated on the counter - no hanky-panky!

We could be official "Jarel's Kid's" in our own mind. Hopefully nobody's offended by the takeoff here!

Personally, it takes some class to put this stuff up at your own expense (and other early members). Just hate to see it eventually take it's toll on the Hosting enthusiasm.

Berto

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Personally, I prefer the idea of people getting something tangible for their contribution. Sort of like why I'm MUCH more likely to buy a box of Girl Scout cookies than I am to just donate cash to the Girl Scouts. I've seen other boards going with the contribution model, and we've done it here in the past, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. What I'd really like is the site to be supported by the sales of more ZR-7 merchandise or commissions from vendors, that way you get something tangible, and a few bucks go to support the site. The problem is that I've ran out of ideas for things to offer. T-Shirts are an annual favorite, but I haven't gotten a good response on other things in the past. If you have ideas, bring 'em on!

I do appreciate the comment about hosting enthusiasm, there may be a time when $300/ year of my own money starts to taste funny. I'll keep thinking about it and see what I can come up with.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I like Jarel's idea, and I'll back it up with a contribution of 10% from each item I make that is sold to the members. I'm talking ZR7OA members, not forum members. If you want to become a ZR7OA member, go to the home page and register. It only takes a minute. BTW, I have a couple more items I'm getting ready to market, so it may be worth your time so, you not only get a better price, but you also help support you community

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Martin, what's the difference between a forum memeber and a ZR7OA member ? I thought they were one in the same.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
The ZR7OA members get that cool member #.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts