RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is always garaged and I only ride in the rain when I get stuck in it on long rides.

Got a dead battery for no reason today but I looked over all my fuses first just in case. The main fuse plug had a lot of corrosion on it for something that rarely gets wet. The design actually traps water in it. It cups water in there and it sits on the terminals that transfer all power for the bike. Brilliant.

Just a recommendation that everyone check it out and put some dielectric grease on it.
1) Drop right side cover.
2) Remove 2 bolts to get coolant reservoir to hang down.
3) There's 4 modules/relays on the side of the battery.The main fuse is on the very left.
4) Hold down the 2 tabs and pull it apart.

This is what you'll see. I had already scraped off some corrosion before taking this pic, it was pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Thanx for the heads up. Good Idea. :alcy:

·
Registered
472 Posts
After cleaning the corrosion off with electrical connection cleaner make sure you put some dielectric grease on the connectors. It will help prevent corrosion in the future.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Funny,,,I just had mine apart yesterday to check that fuse and make sure the starter relay was working properly. My fuse looked good and had no issues. Mine is garaged as well and I ride in the rain when I get caught ,,,,which seems likes a lot lately.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny,,,I just had mine apart yesterday to check that fuse and make sure the starter relay was working properly. My fuse looked good and had no issues. Mine is garaged as well and I ride in the rain when I get caught ,,,,which seems likes a lot lately.
Guess my luck is holding steady then: all bad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts