RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Meanie about 5 months ago. It had a new Dunlop D220 Sportrax rear on it. It quickly developed a flat center, and now it is showing cord. WTF?
I put around 5k miles on her. Don't these last longer than that?:soap:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I bought my Meanie about 5 months ago. It had a new Dunlop D220 Sportrax rear on it. It quickly developed a flat center, and now it is showing cord. WTF?
I'm usually putting around 8k on my tires before change, but not many of my fellas can put that much driving a MS.
That's why many goes over to the dark side.. ;)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I get 7-10 out of a rear tire, lay off the throttle on take offs and it will last longer. Also get away from that D220 and go to a avon strorm or metzeler 880, you will get better feel and better life (as long as you dont spin the tire all the time). Stay away from the softer shinkos, I only got 3k out of the 005 on my bike. or you can try the darkside like Rubbe said and get insane milage but imo you will be sacrificing in other areas. if you ride all highway then its probably the way to go.

just noticed your avatar of the controls, I cant wait to see them. looks good so far!!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
If you mean a sportmax its a sport bike tire so its more on grip than life. I second the storms or marathons.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I only got 6k out of my stock tires. Went with the avon storms and after about 3k of riding on them they still look new. I still have some of the rubber "flashing" on the rear.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My D220 didn't last long at all. Switched to an Avon Storm 2 and it still looks new after 4k miles and hard riding.

·
Registered
861 Posts
It's a Dunlop...nuff said.

I get 15,000 to 18,000 miles on my ME880s. I will never buy a Dunlop.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Soooo. Once the cord is showing, Is it safe to ride on it? I have an Avon Storm 2 in route, but it going to be about a week. I have a 60 mile polar bear ride on Saturday. What makes me the sickest is that outside the center of the tire, it still looks new with lots of tread left.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dont ride with cords showing on any account.....

Still have my original Lops, 9K and they still look good, though I tend to use the whole tire.

Not looking forward to the replace - weird size as I recall.....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Soooo. Once the cord is showing, Is it safe to ride on it? I have an Avon Storm 2 in route, but it going to be about a week. I have a 60 mile polar bear ride on Saturday. What makes me the sickest is that outside the center of the tire, it still looks new with lots of tread left.
You're doing more straights than you are twisties.

The fact you mostly ride straight is a reason for the center cords being exposed. Since those cords are exposed in the center and back to the fact you ride straight more so than anything else means you shouldn't be riding on it anymore. Yes, it is unsafe.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
It's a Dunlop...nuff said.

I get 15,000 to 18,000 miles on my ME880s. I will never buy a Dunlop.
What is that supposed to mean? The Dunlop E3s go 20,000 miles. A lot of guys including myself had ME880s chunk rear tread blocks and the front tire cupping sucks. The Dunlop E3 is the comparible tire to the ME880.

I put Shinko Raven 009s on my Mean Streak, but I might put 3000 a year on that bike. I only ride it when I want to look cool because I am a poser.

·
Registered
861 Posts
What is that supposed to mean? The Dunlop E3s go 20,000 miles. A lot of guys including myself had ME880s chunk rear tread blocks and the front tire cupping sucks. The Dunlop E3 is the comparible tire to the ME880.

I put Shinko Raven 009s on my Mean Streak, but I might put 3000 a year on that bike. I only ride it when I want to look cool because I am a poser.
It means Dunlops suck, IMO. My experience with Dunlop is not favorable. I haven't read/heard about any decent or high mileage tire from Dunlop until your comment about the E3, which is in the minority. Some reviews here don't feel the same as you, though a few do.

http://motorcycletirereviews.com/38-1-dunlopelite3.html

Have you personally experienced 20,000 miles on the E3?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK very good info guys. I went with the Avon storm II Ultra. They are on the way. I needed a tire for the weekend so I picked up a used Shinko and went with a 180 because that is all they had. WOW! What a difference in handling. It felt alot more solid in the turns, and straight up. I didn't change the front (130) because it is new. Not sure if this is a fluke, but if the 130 feels good with the 180 on the back ( more so than the 170-130)
I am probably going to stay with this combination.

·
Banned
330 Posts
I needed a tire for the weekend so I picked up a used Shinko and went with a 180 because that is all they had. WOW! What a difference in handling. It felt alot more solid in the turns, and straight up.
Keep in mind ANY tire you mounted would feel like it handled better than the flat centered worn into the cords carcass you were using.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Keep in mind ANY tire you mounted would feel like it handled better than the flat centered worn into the cords carcass you were using.
exactly, once you have a nice flat spot on your tire your handling is gone, which is exactly why I dont believe anyone that says a car tire handles as good as a m/c tire. One day I will have to try it just to say I did, but I really dont think it would be a good choice for my riding style.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed, But how do you prevent the flat spot. This can't be isolated, and I do not spin my tires to cool or Burn out. To many frogskins to do anything like that. I am hoping the avon storm II ultra with the medium compound in the middle will reduce this. Anyone have any feedback on the Ultra's? Hey Mike, are you going to do any Polar Bear ridin' this winter? We have the guys at www.westcentralmopolarbears.com over here. It was pretty cool on saturday.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Agreed, But how do you prevent the flat spot. This can't be isolated, and I do not spin my tires to cool or Burn out. To many frogskins to do anything like that. I am hoping the avon storm II ultra with the medium compound in the middle will reduce this. Anyone have any feedback on the Ultra's? Hey Mike, are you going to do any Polar Bear ridin' this winter? We have the guys at www.westcentralmopolarbears.com over here. It was pretty cool on saturday.
I just ordered a rear avon II ultra..will install this thur or fri...I too have about a one inch strip with some cord showing..will be interesting to see difference in handling, and wear....I went through two sets of the older avon storms, but was not keeping track of mileage in between tire changes...

·
Banned
330 Posts
I just mounted a set of Storm Ultra II's on mine. 170/130. The 170 on the stock rear rim gives a nice tread profile. Avon's spec sheet shows it (the rim) as being on the wide side of spec for the tire. Perfect for a bike with limited cornering clearance. Looks like I'll actually be able to use the whole tread width. Just riding casually getting the mold release off (I've got about 100 miles on the tires) I have "chicken strips" about the same width as the Bridgestone that came off that had been ridden at peg mount grinding cornering speeds.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
you really cant prevent the flat spot, especially is you ride a lot of highway. Its just part of riding a bike. I like my avons so far, I think I have around 2500 miles on them and they still look great. Just make sure you always have the right tire pressure, no burnouts, and find some curvy roads so you can use all of the tire.
I am sure I will get out for some good rides this winter. I can only be stuck in the house for so long before I will just throw on all the gear and get out for a good ride (havent been under 30 degrees though)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts