RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I figured I will give you guys a fresh point of view on my shiny brand new Corbin seat. I received it in the mail on Friday and promptly took it out for a quick ride. My initial impression was that this seat is very stiff. More so that the stock seat but the difference is this seat is shaped in a way where it does NOT create any specific pressure points. It is also shaped where if I slow down, I am not sliding forward. I wear boxers and pants one size too big and on a hot day sliding forward can get…uncomfortable to say the least. It also sat me a tad higher and back than the stock seat but I quickly got used to it. I also noticed that the sides were more in a cup position that the stock seat.

So I put the bike away very happy and looked forward to a good ride the next day. Next day I took it up to one of my favorite twisties and EASILY put 250+ miles on it only stopping for gas and one water break. I thought the "cup" shape of the seat would be annoying in tight turns but I really didnt give it any thought once I was in the turns. I guess if I where to be picky yes, the stock seat was easier with the somewhat rounded edge. I think it was about 5-6 hours of back roads with only 20 minutes or so being off the bike. My initial impression was still intact. I LOVE this seat.

I didn’t want to jump the gun just yet so I took the bike out for a cruise the next day. Very little fun turns, just a scenic, relaxing ride...on the seat…the entire time. After the 150th mile I found myself standing on the pegs to stretch but the seat didn’t bother me ….yet (no stunting guys, still had my hands on the bars). I may have stopped for gas once…maybe twice at this point (was low at the beginning of the trip). At around 250 miles I stopped for lunch and really was fine as long as I stood on the pegs for a second or so to stretch my legs. I get back on and get moving again and felt like my leg just recovered from being numb and realized I was sitting on something that was digging into my leg, which was painful. I felt around to see what it was but it turns out the folds in the leather (which is part of the design) was in fact digging into my thigh. I don’t see how I didn’t notice it before but I really felt like “princess and the pea”. I guess after I thought about it, it did make sense. This is a very stiff seat to the point where I couldn’t have my wallet in my back pocket because it wasn’t comfortable. I’ve never had that with the stock seat since the material was soft enough to just give in.

I got home with almost 320 miles put on that day or about 8 hours of almost all back roads riding. Again, only stopping for gas and lunch. At that point I had about 600 miles on the seat and I was told not to expect anything nice until over 1000 miles are on it. Well, my fingers are crossed because I would like to go on longer trips with it. If those folds in the leather weren’t there, I would say this is the best seat I could have bought for this bike. Then again, I think if the stock seat was shaped like the corbin, I never would have looked into buying another seat. The seat being as stiff as it is doesn’t seem to be the issue because it is shaped exactly the shape it needs to be and will continue to improve with seat time. If by winter those folds still bother me, I may send it back to have the leather replaced with a smooth surface or take it to a leather shop.

My over all advice is: if you plan on getting this seat, get it without the ripples or folds on the seat.

Whoops, running out of time. Any questions let me know. Going for a ride though so I wont answer till later tonight or tomorrow.

Here are some pics I took:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I think I saw a price of $470 w/ shipping, so I gave it no more thought.

But it does look tempting, especially with the little backrest part! Just looks more inviting to my posterior than the stock seat!

I'm seeing some weird creases on the left in the first photo. Is that what caused the pain in your thigh?
FWIW, I've found that sitting, even in a car, for more than a few hundred miles can get very uncomfortable. And it's probably a good idea to take a break before it gets to the point where things go numb.

I had a great Corbin seat on the 250R but it was a LOT heavier than the stock seat. Is this one also heavier than stock?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I saw a price of $470 w/ shipping, so I gave it no more thought.

But it does look tempting, especially with the little backrest part! Just looks more inviting to my posterior than the stock seat!

I'm seeing some weird creases on the left in the first photo. Is that what caused the pain in your thigh?
FWIW, I've found that sitting, even in a car, for more than a few hundred miles can get very uncomfortable. And it's probably a good idea to take a break before it gets to the point where things go numb.

I had a great Corbin seat on the 250R but it was a LOT heavier than the stock seat. Is this one also heavier than stock?
Shipping included it turns out to be $468, which is why I dragged my feet on the purchase for almost a year. I still think it was worth the purchase and a major improvement over the stock seat but still really F N expensive.

You are right on that crease. That's exactly what became a literal pain when I got back on the bike after lunch. Mind you I was on the bike for almost 6 solid hours....which may have been part of the problem but I think had it not been there I would have nothing bad to say about the seat. The crease is smaller than a telephone wire but just as hard and is not noticable at all when first sitting on it.

Hmmm, as far as it being heavier than the stock seat I guess I will have to test that out when I get home today. I was so excited when I got it I suppose I didn't notice so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Visually looks a lot better than the snakeskin version that was posted, but still you've got to love comfort and not care about looks to put the Corbin on your list. That seat looks like it belongs on a goldwing.

I'm mostly happy with the stock seat, though I'll likely send it over to Spencer during the winter to flatten out the banana a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the review. PLEASE... keep us updated as you put more miles on it. The stock seat is horrible, and options are limited to fix it. I have been waiting to hear from someone that took the leap of faith and got the Corbin.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
looks real good. after 1,000 miles i hope you can happily report, "and it feels real good, too!"

i'm reasonably satisfied with the stock seat, but i generally ride for no more than a couple of hundred miles - or four hours - at a time.

as i expressed in a couple of other seat threads: the ninja seat is initially more comfortable than my vulcan seat, but after two hours in either i need to take a break.

·
Banned
679 Posts
careful with those finger nails there wolverine you may put a hole in your new seat. just busting ur balls, informative review and nice pics :righton:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice pics man, i got the same seat it's called the gunfighter & i got it for $459 with shipping,best investment i've made yet it's head & shoulders above the stock seat & looks way better to boot.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Nice pics man, i got the same seat it's called the gunfighter & i got it for $459 with shipping,best investment i've made yet it's head & shoulders above the stock seat & looks way better to boot.
Fatherfigure73! Santa Claus.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
careful with those finger nails there wolverine you may put a hole in your new seat. just busting ur balls, informative review and nice pics :righton:
BUWHAHAHA! Almost spat my coffee out on that one.

On a side note here, I realized I didnt say anything about this yet. Those bumps in the road seem to be a bit easier to take on the corbin as well. The way the stock seat was, I was putting alot of weight on my tailbone and my posture was horrible - making some of these bumpy roads around here horrible to ride on. Granted they are still bad, but at least now they are alot easier to take with the seat and improved posture the seat allows me to do.

I have a busy weekend ahead of me but I should be able to get pretty close to that 1000 mile mark on the seat. So I should be able to respond here soon with my thoughts after the break in.

Oh and P.S. I paid $464 with shipping (I went back and looked at my bank statement).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the review. The seat looks great on the bike. I think I understand now why there is a key lock to pull the seat off. $

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks good and comfy, thanks for the info. You mentioned a different posture and how you don't slide towards the tank during braking. Do I understand it correctly then that this seat pitches your lower torso more neutral or slightly backward, compared to how the stock seats seems to pitch you slightly towards the tank?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the info and pics. Due to cost, it is low on my list.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good and comfy, thanks for the info. You mentioned a different posture and how you don't slide towards the tank during braking. Do I understand it correctly then that this seat pitches your lower torso more neutral or slightly backward, compared to how the stock seats seems to pitch you slightly towards the tank?
The Corbin is a relativley flat seat. Not really leaning one way or the other. With the stock seat I had to arch my back a bit, sitting more on my tailbone just so when I was sliding forward, I wouldn't slide over "my boys". With the Corbin, no more sliding so I can sit upright, tucked in or hunched over.

I was going to finish up the 1000 mile break in today but 60 miles in my trip today it started raining on me - right before I was about to hit some twisties. :mecry: Maybe tomorrow I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the review, I just got my 650R and rode it home from the dealer, about 130mi and I found myself standing on the pegs to get off the stock seat. I only weigh 160 pounds so I didn't expect that to happen:wtf:...mayhaps I need a Corbin! Looking forward to that 1000mi review.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts