RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
EXCELLENT write-up, BlueSentra! Thanks for your contribution. I don't have this problem but have no questions if I do need to fix it in the future.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Great job on a very thorough write up! Pare I heard all the Ninjas in the Philippines are green. How disappointing is that? Everyone looks the same lol.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pare! How's you in the states? :)

I think we have white, blue, black, red (250), and green Ninjas here. I think green is the preferred color locally; so yep, everyone is green minded like me. And all have "green" coolants. I think I'm the first with "pink" coolant.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I personally think the mechanical water seal is a good, practical, and cost-effective design (Ninja 300, 650, 1000, ZX6R, ZX10R, Mean Streak). When the coolant leaks, no need to replace the entire water pump assembly (unlike Ninja 250, ZX14R) -- just the mechanical water seal. But the impeller shares the vibey balancer shaft (Ninja 650), so it's just a matter of time before the teflon-like blue strip fails. The solution is simple: apply some shellac or threebond sealant.

Another lesson learned: DO NOT RACE the engine until it reaches reaches operating temperature. Let the engine warm up until the radiator fan kicks. The thermostat is closed when the engine is cool. As such, when raced, the coolant will not circulate and pressure will build up. And where will the blocked coolant go? Through the seals! lol

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just an update: After about a year, some (white) residue has accumulated in my coolant reservoir tank (see pic below). It looks like the (white) residue is simply crystalized dried-up engine coolant -- not aluminum corrosion as I first thought. So, I believe it is safe to say that the (white) residue in the coolant tank is normal. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think I'm about to tackle this project. Discovered a nasty oil leak on my 650 last night. Cleaned everything up and it appears that engine oil is seeping from the weep hole on the water pump. I'll check more after work tonight. Doesn't look like its leaking any coolant from the weep hole, just oil.

Just making sure, it is possible for an oil leak to occur but not any coolant.??? Or am I looking at a bigger problem here??

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I think I'm about to tackle this project. Discovered a nasty oil leak on my 650 last night. Cleaned everything up and it appears that engine oil is seeping from the weep hole on the water pump. I'll check more after work tonight. Doesn't look like its leaking any coolant from the weep hole, just oil.

Just making sure, it is possible for an oil leak to occur but not any coolant.??? Or am I looking at a bigger problem here??
To illustrate (please refer to pic below): the crankshaft drives the balancer shaft (p/n 13234), the balancer shaft drives the water pump impeller (p/n 59256), and the water pump impeller circulates the engine coolant. The oil seal (p/n 92049) prevents engine oil leaks from the crankcase via the balancer shaft. The mechanical water seal (p/n 49063) prevents engine coolant leaks from the water pump via balancer shaft. Should engine oil or engine coolant leaks, the water pump inner housing (p/n 13227), via the weep hole, will prevent engine oil from contaminating the engine coolant and will prevent the engine coolant from contaminating the engine oil. Short story long, engine oil alone or engine coolant alone or both, can leak via the water pump inner housing weep hole. Makes sense?

ac_BalancerWater.jpg

In the three years of owning my Ninja 650, I find it normal to see droplets of oil or engine coolant around the weep hole. Just remember to regularly check your engine oil level and engine coolant reservoir level. AND regularly check the weep hole -- make sure it isn't blocked.

Enjoy and ride safe! :)

EDIT: Just a suggestion, while you're at it, when you replace the oil seal (p/n 92049), you might want to consider replacing the mechanical water seal (p/n 49063) as well. If you can afford it, replace the related/nearby gaskets too. It's cheap insurance. But that's just me...

·
Registered
347 Posts
After doing some more looking, I did find that oil leaks are common and normal. Seems like a straight forward repair as well thanks to the service manual and your write up! And I do intend on replacing all the seals and o-rings while I'm in there, I don't want to do this twice. My bike is my main mode of transportation and I can't have out of commission for very long. I'll be ordering the parts tonight. I probably won't get to it for a couple weeks unfortunately. I'm going on vacation, next week and I doubt the parts will be here before I leave.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How do you keep this thin rubber seal in the groove on the water pump cover when mounting?

Thanks for the help.

seal water pump cover.jpg

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
How do you keep this thin rubber seal in the groove on the water pump cover when mounting?

Thanks for the help.

View attachment 100546
Are you re-using the old seal (the original since 2007, maybe)? The rubber seal (p/n 92055-0083) is cheap, so if I were you I would replace it nalang with new. In fact, I suggest you replace all the old rubber seals you come across -- it's cheap insurance.

EDIT: Nice photo, btw. It looks like it was taken by a pro photographer. hihi

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Are you re-using the old seal (the original since 2007, maybe)? The rubber seal (p/n 92055-0083) is cheap, so if I were you I would replace it nalang with new. In fact, I suggest you replace all the old rubber seals you come across -- it's cheap insurance.

+1 on that!

·
Registered
133 Posts

EDIT: Nice photo, btw. It looks like it was taken by a pro photographer. hihi
I bought all new seals. :alcy:This seal was a bit long and doesn't want to lay flat in the groove without one part or another popping up.

I have successfully ended the oil dribble but now I have a coolant leak.:doh :killingme

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I bought all new seals. :alcy:This seal was a bit long and doesn't want to lay flat in the groove without one part or another popping up.

I have successfully ended the oil dribble but now I have a coolant leak.:doh :killingme
In that case, keep the new rubber seal and replace old bike with new! :)

Kidding aside, if so, then the dab of RTV makes perfect sense.

EDIT: Odd though, my same new rubber seal fit the groove perfectly before. Could you still return and exchange the new seal to the dealer? Bring the housing to ensure perfect fit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have to delve into this at some point during the week, fortunately I did my homework and ordered the parts in advance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just following up, all went well and there is no longer a leak. Thank you for the detailed guide, much appreciated.

·
Registered
989 Posts
In that case, keep the new rubber seal and replace old bike with new! :)

Kidding aside, if so, then the dab of RTV makes perfect sense.

EDIT: Odd though, my same new rubber seal fit the groove perfectly before. Could you still return and exchange the new seal to the dealer? Bring the housing to ensure perfect fit.
Any time you replace long this rubber seals like these, the new ones rarely seem to fit like the old ones. Pro Tip: always stick the new seal in the freezer for 10 minutes or so to shrink them down. I did that with mine, and I do it with all my carb bowl gaskets on older bikes. They shrink right down to perfect fit. They stay shrunk long enough to do the install.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts