RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I've been smelling coolant after I get off the bike. No leaks on the ground..no wet spots up underneath..not sure how to tell if the bike's running hot or not, although once in a while after a longer ride I'll shut her down and the fan kicks on for a quick cool off. I'll pull the side to see if my level's still good in the reserve, but other than that I'm kinda lost. There's a very tiny ring of white residue around the hose where it goes into the motor on the right side, from the radiator, like it may have seeped a little at one point, but it's never been wet since I've started smelling this. Any ideas? Is this maybe normal and I just haven't noticed it until now?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm wondering if you have a very, very small leak that is only allowing a little vapor leak when at operating temps? That white residue may be a result of this tiny leak and what moisture that does show is dried almost immediatly??

Maybe check that connection closer?

dj

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
These bikes are notorious for small coolant leaks. The most common culprit is a loose hose connector but o-rings on the lines that connect the 2 heads are always bad, had mine replaced under warranty after 400 miles. The white residue is sneaky because that crap flys everywhere when you're riding. Mine puddled about 8 inches away from the leak. Snug up the hose clamps and look through the parts fiches to get an idea of the hard coolant lines and tighten those as well. Also check the gaskets around the pump area.

·
Registered
724 Posts
FWIW, it only takes a very small amount of coolant to generate a pretty good wiff of it.

If you are not getting any obvious leaks, watch the level in the tank, keep on riding.

Jon

·
Registered
266 Posts
give all the hose clamps a tighten, you'll have to pretty much pull the tank to get to a couple of them at the heads, I bet they're all abit loose. I dont think its a matter of them not tightened at the factory, but more the hose material changes in firmness with age. This happened to all my last three bikes when they were a few years old. tightened the clamps, and the problem never reoccured. They dont leak much, but sure smells when you stop!
Dean

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'll try that.....the smell is so faint, it would probably be a non-issue to anyone else. It's mine, so I notice it the most.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts