RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a leak pretty high on the right side behind the dog bowl. Probably the hose as it rubs against the engine as it's poorly positioned. I thought I heard a hissing sound one time going up a hill with a lot of throttle just after being on the highway for 2 hrs at 80 mph. The coolant level hasn't suffered much and I have an extended warrantee. Thinking about waiting till spring the have the dealership fix. Anyone else have this issue beforem, just a hose or something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The crossover coolant tube that goes between the 2 cylinders is a chronic warranty issue, it took 2 new o-rings to fix. It's also very common to have loose hose clamps from the factory on these bikes.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
So, for example, if I have coolant trickling down the left side (filter side), through the fins and either down the front or trickling back towards the side cover while riding, do you think it's just that crossover tube or the clamps? I know I've mentioned it before, but just want to be absolutely certain it's a warranty issue before I take the bike up to a dealer and be down for a few days, only to be surprised with a bill for something really dumb.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So, for example, if I have coolant trickling down the left side (filter side), through the fins and either down the front or trickling back towards the side cover while riding, do you think it's just that crossover tube or the clamps? I know I've mentioned it before, but just want to be absolutely certain it's a warranty issue before I take the bike up to a dealer and be down for a few days, only to be surprised with a bill for something really dumb.
Have the same issue, pulled the tank and traced the leak to a hose coming off the filler neck...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Third owner of a 2005 Meanie, no warranty here....

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The thing about coolant is when you ride it moves all over the place and then dries with that white residue everywhere. Just because you see the residue in one spot doesn't mean it originated there, only that it settled or collected there. If its on the left side of the bike it could be radiator, filler neck, crossover tube, etc.

Unless you have damage or didn't tighten something you took off it's a warranty issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, good to see I'm not alone and it's not a severe problem. Funny thing is when I originally saw the leak residue, I assumed it was from overfill at the dealership - I'd even smell the AF from time to time. Also, the clamp just behind the radiator was a little loose - so being the handy mechanic, I tightened it lol. This fix can probably wait for the spring.

Thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts