RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about a lot of the old bikes you guys used to have, but what about cool cars? Usually anyone really into motorcycles is just a gearhead in general, and likes just about anything that makes power.

I'll start with my list, in the order they were bought. Bare in mind that not all of these are what you would call old, muscle, or even cool, but hey-- I worked with what I had.

1. 1986 Dodge Laser-- I sold this car to my stepdad, who dropped in a new 2.3L turbo four, which now makes about 240hp at the wheels. At under 3000 pounds, it's great for spanking cocky punks in Camaros.

2. 1991 Cavalier Z-24-- The best car I've yet to own. Not the fastest, not even the coolest looking, but the most durable and trustworthy. Call me weird, but I just love these things. I built my own ram-air system for this car, and with a K&N element, it was good for probably 15 hp over stock. I had a '92 Z-24 just last year, but I sold it to buy my ZR-7.

3. 1992 Geo Metro-- Hey, laugh all you like, I only stopped for gas with this thing once a month. Being the tinkerer I am, I even drew up plans for a tubular rear frame section to drop in a 455 big-block Oldsmobile engine and transaxle into the back of the Metro. Had I the money at the time, I would have built this monster.

4. 1984 Monte Carlo-- This was a failure. I tore her all apart, prepping her for a ground-up restoration, and then lost interest. Paid $1650 for a solid specimen, sold it for $450 this past May.

5. 1981 Buick Regal-- Had her dressed up to look like a later-model Grand National. I sold this one to buy...

6. 1984 Monte Carlo SS-- I still have this one. I tried to sell it without success, so now I'll just hang onto it. This is the cleanest, most rust-free original condition G-body I've ever seen. A rare find, glad she's mine. Engine of choice was originally an '87 Grand National turbo-six, but I sold that last week. I'll look into some fuel-injected small-block when I have a garage and some more money.

7. 1992 Buick Regal GS-- I just sold this one a few weeks ago. Had I finished the project, this would have been a real sleeper. I had a new SC3800 to drop into it. After spending about $3500 total towards the project, I got fed up with not having the right parts for the swap and busting my knuckles every night on front wheel drive garbage, and I put in on eBay. It sold for $1286.01. Ouch-- my biggest loss on a project car yet.

I've had other daily drivers, but these are the only notable ones I could think of. Even the Metro is worth mentioning, they have more potential than you'd think. I found my dad a beautiful '68 Chevelle, and I've helped build several friend's rides, but I haven't actually found a true classic muscle car for myself yet. Later in life, maybe when I'm not so crazed with motorcycles, I'll finally buy myself my dream car-- the elusive '69 Dodge Charger 500.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to see what others here have had in the way of autos, since we all share similar taste in bikes.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Dude, I hear ya about the failed resto projects. Back home in Delaware (at my parents house) I have a '69 Pontiac LeMans. I rebuilt the engine, and only have 300 or so miles on it. Hell, it hasn't even had the break-in oil changed yet, and that was over 2 1/2 years ago! Reason being I got into the racing gig and moved away. Now, there's NO WAY I can recoup the money I (and my dad) have poured into the thing. He's not mechanically inclined, and a bunch of stuff needs to be done just to get her started again. Much less being able to drive. Oh and the paint... and the dash... and the tranny....:mad:

My best car is my 97 Jeep Cherokee. It's modded out just enough to suite me and what I do (or at least USED to do before moving and doing this racing thing). I love that thing. :D

Later,

Emrah

·
Registered
45 Posts
In my younger days I was totally hooked on VW's.
Lets see 1968 Type 3, 1970 1300 Beetle, 1974 1600 Superbug, 1966 Type 3, 1960 Beetle, 1974 1800 Kombi, 1976 2litre Kombi but my favourite was a 1956 Oval.
This is where my love of air cooled engines started.
They were all good vehicles in their day but give me airconditioning, power steering, electronics and decent handling any time.
Re: Vegemite - think edible moly disulphide grease and you are getting close. Can't beat it on a deep fried Koala burger though.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey Trip, my first car was a 1968 Pontiac GTO that my Dad bought in a bar from a soldier who had just lost his license and was being shipped out to "wherever" but he stole this car for about $800 with about 40K on it back in 1973?. I was 17 when I got it, so needless to say it was a POS in 2 years -- then I got a '72 Chevy Impala 2dr. Coupe (what a car that was). One of my favorites though, was a '74 Chevy Monte Carlo -- the one that the bucket seats swiveled out when ya got out, that was cool. Since then my personal cars (trucks) have been boring. Except the '97 Ford Thunderbird w/ground affects in jet black, that I traded when I got remarried. Tom :)

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Dude my favorite car was a 72 baby **** yellow camero . I bought it brand new at the ripe old age of 20. 6 months later I had it jacked-up with a set of gabrial highjackers ,a set of hookers with bolt up glasspacks. cragers all around 10's in rear with L-60 mickey tompson's, 4's in front. I had that wedge look going on, but that was the look back then.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
and did you have an 8 track tape player in it playing "Free Bird" or Clapton's 421 Ocean Blvd with "I shot the Sheriff"....or some ole Molly Hatchet, Allman Bros., Stones, Bowie, and on and on? Tom :D (Back in '72 my hair was longer than my little sister's)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Most of mine were boring. The best was probably my '81 El Camino SS. I lowered it about 2" and put an IROC ground effects kit on it. It was pretty cool looking. The most fun I had was my '71 Ford Bronco. I was the 4th owner and it was totally stock. The fenders were uncut, still had the original am radio and the stock wheel covers. My father-in-law was the 3rd owner. The column shift linkage gave up the ghost while he had it so I talked him into saving money and just put in a Hearst 3 speed shifter on the floor. When I got it I changed it from a full cab to a half cab and put in some high back bucket seats (the originals were totally shot!)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Martin,

I'm no Ford fan, but 66-77 Broncos kick ***. I do like them with the rear fenders cut to actually fit a decent sized tire on there, but an uncut one is really rare. Musta been pretty nice.

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Being as it was an early Bronco, I didn't really consider it a Ford because I'm not a big fan of theirs either (yeah, it's twisted thinking). But it was alot of fun. In the summer time I ran it without a top and the windshield folded down to the hood making it the ultimate ground squirrell hunting rig. :cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, I am just getting into cars, and i am smack in the middle of the *gasp* import craze.

I have an Integra GSR that I put a supercharger on this year. It was making about 200hp to the front wheels. I say was because I just sold the SC to make plans for a custom turbo setup.

I am expecting about 250hp from 6psi of intercooled boost from a 1.8 Liter engine. Should be fun, if I can indeed afford it.

I don't race much. This will be a street car / daily driver.

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts