RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have read in the "Daily Ride". I went down on the ZR-7s yesterday. The early signs are that the bike will be totalled by the insurance company. I've honestly been putting some thought into this whole "totalled" thing. I was more excited about getting another ZR-7s yesterday than I am now.

I know "God forbid" mentioning it in this forum but this is the right section for it. I would consider getting the FZ1.

Does anyone one know anything about this bike or have recommendations for another bike like our beloved ZR-7s ?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Good choice!

If I were in your situation, and looking to get another naked style bike, I would do one of three things.

First, if you're looking to stay within the ZR-7's price range, I would seriously be considering an SV-650. A little more power, a lot less weight, and a much more serious sporting cycle than the ZR-7S you just crashed. This is the bike I wish I had researched before I bought my ZR-7.

Second, I would be looking for used, well cared for Triumph Speed Triples. Look for a new one only if you have some serious $$, they retail for $10,499. Triumph owners tend to be fanatics about the condition of their machines, so you're guaranteed to find one in good shape. The 955 cc triple is also extremely durable, so even higher-milaged units are still worth a look. The Speed Triple is arguably the best handling big-bore naked bike available.

Last, I would definitely give the FZ1 a think-over. It can outrun the new 919 easy (in a straight line, anyway), and looks twice as cool to boot. Anything that carries that much of an R1 around in its guts can't be bad. Look on eBay for leftover new '01 models-- I just saw one go for $7000 last month.

Good luck with whatever you decide--

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Insurance

I just thought of something, though--

With your insurance rates going up because of your recent spill, a premium on an FZ1 could be astronomical. Most insurance providers consider the FZ1 an "ultra-high performance motorcycle," and will charge as much as they would for any other liter-size superbike.

Unless you've got a lot of money to throw around on just one motorcycle, an FZ1 might not be the way to go after all.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. :)

I really having a fairing (even if it is small). I looked at the SV650S and discovered that the handle bars and footpegs are set more like a Sportbike than a Sport Touring bike.

The more I think about the increased cost of the FZ1 and the ins. rates, the less I like the idea.

I think my bottom line is, I'm going to go with the '02 ZR-7s. I know the bike and what to expect. I've already got a spare stock exhaust and windscreen. AND I can still be a part of this forum. :D

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I'm not trying to talk you into either one, but if you're just settleing for the ZR, you may end up unhappy and buying something else anyway. I've "settled" for bikes and it ended up costing me more in the end because I lost money on the bike I "settled" on when I traded it in on the one I wanted in the first place. You may be able to take the insurance money and buy a used version of what you want. Insurance will still be an issue, but by buying a used one outright, or putting out a big down payment, you'll drive a lot of the end cost out of it and all you'll end up paying is the insurance. The good thing is you know the ZR so you know what you're getting back into (if you so desire). :cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Martin,

I think you may be right. I went out and grab my personal stuff off the ZR today and spoke with the mech. His eyes widen when I mentioned the FZ1. I went and looked at a SV 650, SV 650s, Katana 750, Bandit 1200 and the FZ1. All were '02s. I would have to say that the FZ1 was the best. It sits even more upright than the ZR and only weights 13 pounds more.

I may not like the increased insurance but I plan to pay for the bike outright so my only real payment would be insurance.

To top it all off, my wife likes the FZ1 more (she's partial to blue and chrome).

I think the decision is made, it's just a matter of time. :)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Hey Stan,

I'm a huge fan of the FZ-1. And the 919. And the Speed Triple (mmmmm.....)

But, now please don't take this the wrong way, as I have no idea how long you've been riding, but I think if I remember correctly, you're a new rider (if you're not, then disregard what I'm saying). Do you think moving up to a full Liter bike is a wise choice? All of the bikes you mention are heavier than the ZR, and have about twice the horsepower.

Like I said, please don't be offended by that, but I just had to bring it up.:rolleyes:

Of course, if you do buy the FZ, then we're definitely meeting up and I'm begging for a spin on it.:D

Emrah

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Emrah,

Yes, I am a fairly new rider. And I don't take offense. I'm glad someone is looking out for my safety. :)

Here's a few things I considered though:
1. This spill was not related to speed or power. It was gravel. I had control until I hit it. Anyone, regardless of experience can be the unhappy victim of a gravel spill. :(

2. 13 pounds is the difference and my first bike was a '82 SECA 750, it was 77 pounds heavier :eek:

3. Buying it new means I have to break it in, low rpms, this should give me sufficient time to get adjusted to the bike.

4. I dropped $1000 worth of mods in the ZR to get it the way I wanted it. (Stage-1, Slip-on, Prog. Springs, Taller Windscreen).
the FZ-1 already got more power and Adjustable Front Fork Springs. I'll still have to order a Taller windscreen. :)

Maybe these are just my own rationalizations :? but they all sound good enough to make the switch. :smilewink

Oh, yeah did I mention the most important reason, the wife likes it better (even though she knows the cost difference). :D

Sorry to say this folks but, she never really liked the looks of the ZR. :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Stan,

I'm with Emrah on this one. I thing all riders should have to pass the Motocycle Safety Foundation's classes and a few "track-day schools" before you get to purchase a FZ1, etc.

This bike will switch lanes while you are just thinking about it...

Take care,

Philip

·
Registered
706 Posts
Opinion

Best Regards Team:

STAN: This's only my opinion:

If money is not a big issue, check the Aprilia Falco. Also the Triumph Sprint RS...I have done a lot of research regarding this bike and I'm planning on getting one in a couple of years. Wait until next month...Maybe you can get a good deal in '00 or '01 models.....but again is only my opinion.......

Ride Safe..

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Philip,

I have passed the MSF course (best in the class with a 3) and plan to take some take the Class MotorCycle School in the spring.

I'm a good rider who doesn't even think of Hot Doggin' (no wheelies or stoppies for me thanks). But, As I've heard from others, it's about feel. The FZ1 is a more comfortable for m 6'2" 180 lb. frame.

Itztli,

I looked at both. They both have black engines and more plastic on the engine than I like. I like being "half-naked" (a faring with the engine exposed). And I never said moey was no object. The difference between a new ZR and a new FZ1 is about $2500US. I can probably get it down to $1500-2000 difference. Still a couple of thousand less than $10,000US.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Stan,

Good points. You're even starting to convince me.... But really. While I agree with most of what you said, I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that when situations like that do arise (e.g. gravel, rain, oil, too much speed, etc.), sometimes it's easier to recover from and stabilize the bike on a smaller displacement/lower performance bike than on a superbike or one with lotsa horsepower. The editor of Sport Rider Magazine had a good article a couple of months ago about his thoughts on moving up to full Liter bikes. He basically said that you could move up, but you're going to learn to be a helluva better rider when you learn the spank the living daylights out of the lower-displacement machines you're riding now. When you have truly "outgrown" the performance capabilities of the smaller machines, then you can apply all that much better to the Liter bikes. That's his opinion. I kind of agree.

For example, when your rear wheel starts to drift out from under you, do you want 100+ rip snortin' horsepower just a light twitch of the wrist away under you? Or do you want to be riding something that is less sensitive to throttle control (and jerky movements) and doesn't risk putting all that much power to an already-overworked rear wheel? I do realize that in dicey situations, too much HP is bad, but it is great if you want to punch it to avoid getting rear ended or squeezed or something. Hey, I'm not saying I wouldn't lean heavily to the FZ as well, (if I could afford it) even though I know I'm no way ready for a Liter bike. Just bringing up some points.

Although...Could you imagine an FZ leaving an arching black streak all the way around a corner while you're in full-lean and smokin' the rear wheel? Cooooollll.........:D

Emrah

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
If I could touch the ground on it, I'd have bought the FZ1 when it came out in a HEARTBEAT! I've heard that they have really good reliability, handle great, and performance....well, that R1 engine speaks for itself. If you feel you are ready for a bike that big, and have the money to do it, and as you have said, plan to take the time to get to know the bike....I'd get it!

Man, if I could only grow a few inches!!!! I even tried on some of those big heeled Harley Boots to see if they'd help me touch the ground. They not only did NOT increase my ability to touch the ground, I have no doubt that my heel would have gotten caught on the peg every time I tried to stop.....

Shoot....if you get this bike, come take me for a ride on it!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Emrah,

You have some good points. Sometimes more power can be a bad thing if you don't know how to control it. Moving off the MSF trainer bikes to the ZR was certainly noticable. Mostly in a good way. The bike handled so much better. I assume the FZ will have a significant handling difference from the ZR. It's got the R1 braking system as well as engine. :)

ZR7Chic,

I might have to ride out there and do that once I break it in. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
FZ1???

One word dude,...ZRX. ( Z-Rex )

Still insured as a "standard"
Wheelies galore.
If you get an 1100 instead of the new 1200 there are a lot of aftermarket parts available, not to mention ZX11 cams and such drop right in.
Way more torque/hp in stock form than your piped/jetted ZR7.
Wheelies.
Avid owners group, ZRXOA.
and did I mention wheelies.

You could find a nice used one here for $5K or less. http://zrxoa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35

Main board http://zrxoa.org/forums/index.php?s=

Lush found his way over a month or two ago.

My wife will probably leave her ZR7 for my ZRX....unless I can swing buying my buds ZX9 for her.

EDIT: Air cooled ZR1100, maroon. I can vouch for this one,belongs to a friend of mine. I have a pic if your interested. http://zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3920

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Hey Greg, does it wheelie? :laugh:

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Buy the FZ-1. It is sooo much easier to go fast on a fast bike than a slow one.

Canyondog mentioned your crash was initiated coz you ran in a little hot. Unfortunately with 70bhp you have to if want any momentum up the next straight. You also need to get on the power banked over to get descent drive.

With the FZ-1 you get awesome power, awesome brakes, and some pretty decent handling to boot. Now to be honest you do have limited scratching experience, but on the Yam you can just launch off a bend, blast down the straight, haul up with those R1 brakes, and basically meander round the next bend. Do that and you will still make decent point to point times. When you are more experienced you will corner a little harder, get on the power a smidge earlier etc etc. Then you will be one rapid punter.

Your'e not stupid, You now know crashing can hurt, so I am sure you will treat an FZ-1 with the respect it deserves ( initially :D )

:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
titomike said:
. . .

Your'e not stupid, You now know crashing can hurt, so I am sure you will treat an FZ-1 with the respect it deserves ( initially :D )

:)
Well said. I still don't know if I'm going to get the ZR back. If the I'm going to get another one though . . It's going to be the FZ-1. :smilewink

Besides, it will be funner on track days :D I'm thinkin' cruise back and forth to work. Get it past break in and sign up for a Track School of some kind. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Track school out in So. Cal. :?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom Bozeman said:
Greg1040 may have your solution Stan. Go back and check his post again. Tom
The REX, yeah I looked at it. IMHO, the fairing is kind of small, I don't like the retro Eddie Lawson paint job and it's nearly as heavy (492 lbs.) as my old '82 Yamaha SECA 750, which I thought was a heavy bike (520 lbs.)

BTW, I was actually mistaken in one of my previous post. The FZ1 is lighter (458 lbs.) than the ZR-7s (463 lbs.) And has a taller seat (32.3" vs. 31.5"), which makes a difference on my 36" in seam. The Rex's seat is even lower than the ZR (only 31.1"). The advantage the ZR really had was in fuel cap, 5.8 gal. vs. the FZ's 5.6 and REX's 5.3.

I'm more concerned about making mods for comfort than performance. I only jetted the ZR to get rid of the off-idle hesitation. It never completely got rid of it but made it almost unnoticed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts