RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I would rather have the unlinked Brembos, Akra, Ohlins combo.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I read small light bikes with power. Doesn't sound like a Concours. A 300 lb bike with power would be nice.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
They did say one advantage in this supercharger thing is you can have a small engine that produces great power, lower emissions, and gets good fuel mileage, off boost. They have said the next generations of emissions will be very difficult to meet with conventional ways.

Our answer should be just like it was back in 83 with the original turbo. No thanks. We may have no choice.

The thing is, unless its lighter, cheaper, more powerful, uses less fuel, or what? Whats our goal?

You cant get really good fuel mileage without streamlining. Until we do that, it takes x amount of power to go 100mph, and burns just about x fuel, and thats about it.

If its like Ford did with their trucks, supercharged, small displacement, same power...uh, whatever. I have to have more if I take on the complexity.

For me, a 300 supercharged ninja that runs the same as a 600 ninja, weighs the same, uses the same fuel, etc is at best a step sideways.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting RC. The lateral step, that is. At least s/c'd boost can be brought on earlier than a turbo. This could get a small bore 300 mid-range torque that feels like a larger bore 600.

Based on my 750turbo experience, I can say great power is produced with boost, however mpg was not good--upper 30's at best running around TN county roads. Certainly newer technology is better.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Whats our goal?
You are a global heavy industry manufacturer that happens to be the last place volume producer among your peers in a secondary powersports market that has seen flat sales since the recession of 2008. However, the trademarked name of your leading product is first or tied for first in market recognition, indicating a loyal following among current powersports owners with the potential to reach new buyers on the strength of this name recognition. In addition, you recently garnered market accolades with a groundbreaking and wallet breaking supercharged design. How best to take advantage of this introduction and technology? Trickle down Supercharged Ninjas to the fan boys and lap dogs? Probably. Meh.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
You are a global heavy industry manufacturer that happens to be the last place volume producer among your peers in a secondary powersports market that has seen flat sales since the recession of 2008. However, the trademarked name of your leading product is first or tied for first in market recognition, indicating a loyal following among current powersports owners with the potential to reach new buyers on the strength of this name recognition. In addition, you recently garnered market accolades with a groundbreaking and wallet breaking supercharged design. How best to take advantage of this introduction and technology? Trickle down Supercharged Ninjas to the fan boys and lap dogs? Probably. Meh.
Actually, during the recession, Kawasaki was the leader in sales in the US. While the others were holding back or even stopping production on some models, Kawasaki introduced several new bikes.

I would be very happy with a supercharged 300lb 300cc streetfighter. It would be the perfect bike to throw in the back of the truck for work trips.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having riding at high elevation in the Rockies, I could feel my Concours becoming a little sluggish. Supercharging would reduce this.

It wouldn't take rip-our-arms-out pressure either.

Remember the Yamaha 650 Seca turbo? It ran with 4psi of boost. (Most likely due to the CV carbs that were still being utilized)

Wouldn't a boosted C14 be awesome?

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The seca turbo was...well, how would you say it. It was the reason not to do this, but a perfect example.

Yamah also had a seca 900. Similar bikes. However, the 900 was cheaper, lighter, faster and more reliable. The turbo did make for a sort-of fast 650 but offered no advantages over a slightly larger motor.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Well, it ran , and weighed about like a gpz 1100, so yes, but did they accomplish anything? It had more hop up potential, but being they never made another, it must not have been a sales success.

Maybe people will just be for the idea, and maybe not worry so much about ultimate performance?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Well, it ran , and weighed about like a gpz 1100, so yes, but did they accomplish anything? It had more hop up potential, but being they never made another, it must not have been a sales success.

Maybe people will just be for the idea, and maybe not worry so much about ultimate performance?
Naw...it weighed less than a 900 Ninja (492 vs 503 dry weight)...and pulled harder than anything until the ZX11 came out.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
What happened was, Kawasaki saw the marketing success of the 600 and 900 Ninjas...and they didn't really see much of a need to produce much else outside of that for the sportbike market...until they brought out the much overhyped 1st gen 1000. I personally liked the 750 Ninja better than any of the other bikes...but it never saw the commercial success they did!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Recall Kawasaki was the last to reveal a turbo, and really outperformed the others. Coincidence? Naa. Kawasaki wasn't too many years beyond the Z1, and simply couldn't be beat. Also, they may have had styling rework following the prototype reveal in '83 that was hideous.

With what's been mentioned, turbo sales were tough. Honda and the CX650 may have continued a year or so--I don't remember for sure.

Performance with water cooled engines was taking off at that time too.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
If you look at the h2, what did they accomplish? Its very, very fast.

Peopel have done that before, and far exceeded its power figures.

It does not handle as well as their zx10. There are many Hayabusas that are in the 500hp range. They claim 400hp makes for a good, reliable daily driver.

The 750 turbo had issues under 5000 rpm. It made less power there than a non turbo 750.

So, even if they can, wheres our advantage? I'm all for it, just what is it I'm for? We ended up with concours 14 hp. Lets say its dead even and 800'ccs. Will it be lighter, cheaper, more dependable? If its any of those, maybe I care. 65mpg?

What feature of the h2 carries over to the c14 and improves its current position?

·
Silver Member
1,727 Posts
I had a new gpz750 turbo in 1985. it was smooth faster than anything else around the hood and utterly reliable. wish I had it today. also back in 1978 I got a z1rtc. it was fast as hell but a real pos. I was constantly tinkering with it to make it run right. glad I sold that one.

Reactions: HilbillyKat

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I have noticed that we haven't had a KLX250S for a while now. Maybe it will get the power it needs to be a true contender.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I dont believe supercharger is really their point. I believe the point they are trying to make is if they take an existing design and make it meet the future emissions requirements, we wont like the result and it may be impossible to even go that far.

KLX 250. For years, that was offered as a klx300 offroad bike. There were some project bikes that made good hp and there were kits to take it up to 340cc's. When Yamaha's yz400f was built in 98, it pretty much made the klx obsolete, but it was still a good bike.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I sure wouldn't like the lag like the 750turbo had, but that is the beauty of s/c'ing. Right now, I feel the secondaries of the C14 are restricting enough at lower rpm.

The top and best benefit of s/c'ing the C14 is the preservation of performance at higher altitudes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts