21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Barnett Clutch on 1985 V65 Honda Sabre

70,000 miles on Honda V65, clutch slips, never abused.
Installed new silicone non resistor plug wires as replacement for 25 year old rubber. Remarkable power increase = major clutch slip.
New Barnett clutch from ebay soaked in 5w-30 synthetic prior to installation.
Lots of very little bubbles as oil soaked in.
Used modified 32 mm socket to remove clutch nut.
Otherwise easy installation.
Clutch is flawless in operation from beginning. Smooth and linear. No snatch.
Disengages completely for easy shift while stopped.
Better than stock.
Excellent decision to use Barnett.
Pre installation oil soak may be critical to perfect performance.
Earlier repairs: replace clutch pushrod oil seal five years ago and replace left front turn indicator light; nothing else 25 years.
Another ancient, troublefree Honda that will take my breath away on every ride.
156 mph at 9600 in fifth. No fairing.

·
Registered
969 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
So after reading some bad reviews of the full Barnett clutch for the Z1000 on this forum I decided to go ahead and get one anyway...
I figured that a company that has been around as long as they have must produce a quality product most of the time or they would not be in business. I got the complete kit with the steel plates, kevlar friction plates and stiffer springs. When the kit arrived I checked that all the steel plates were flat by placing them on a polished granite tile and they all seemed fine and I soaked the friction plated in oil over night. It took me 15 minutes to install the kit, the clutch basket gasket remained intact and with the bike on the side stand I lost no oil. An additional 5 minutes had the clutch adjusted properly and I was off for a test ride. I did notice that most of the slack had to be taken out of the clutch cable as the new plates seem to start to grab earlier in the release but I made sure that the clutch was fully released and engaged when the lever is all the way out. I figure that may change so I will just keep an eye on the slack over the next few months and adjust as necessary. The pull on my shorty lever is a bit more but not uncomfortable. Anyway, on first impression the clutch action is great. Actually it is better than I thought it would be for a performance clutch. The initial slippage to get the bike going is very smooth and predictable and when I was banging through the gears at the top of the rpm's the clutch grabbed instantly and perfectly. Absolutely no complaints so far but I only went for a single one hour ride. If anything takes a change for the worse I will post to let you all know. One thing to remember is to keep all the steel plates in the same direction. I put all the rounded edges towards the bike and the sharp edges out which should be the same as stock. They are like that due to the stamping process.
:alcy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great review please keep us updated I just order mine for a 2019 ninja 650 I been nervous on installing them. But reading your post helped becoming more faithful in the product.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts