RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading some bad reviews of the full Barnett clutch for the Z1000 on this forum I decided to go ahead and get one anyway...
I figured that a company that has been around as long as they have must produce a quality product most of the time or they would not be in business. I got the complete kit with the steel plates, kevlar friction plates and stiffer springs. When the kit arrived I checked that all the steel plates were flat by placing them on a polished granite tile and they all seemed fine and I soaked the friction plated in oil over night. It took me 15 minutes to install the kit, the clutch basket gasket remained intact and with the bike on the side stand I lost no oil. An additional 5 minutes had the clutch adjusted properly and I was off for a test ride. I did notice that most of the slack had to be taken out of the clutch cable as the new plates seem to start to grab earlier in the release but I made sure that the clutch was fully released and engaged when the lever is all the way out. I figure that may change so I will just keep an eye on the slack over the next few months and adjust as necessary. The pull on my shorty lever is a bit more but not uncomfortable. Anyway, on first impression the clutch action is great. Actually it is better than I thought it would be for a performance clutch. The initial slippage to get the bike going is very smooth and predictable and when I was banging through the gears at the top of the rpm's the clutch grabbed instantly and perfectly. Absolutely no complaints so far but I only went for a single one hour ride. If anything takes a change for the worse I will post to let you all know. One thing to remember is to keep all the steel plates in the same direction. I put all the rounded edges towards the bike and the sharp edges out which should be the same as stock. They are like that due to the stamping process.
:alcy:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Good to hear, I'm hard on my clutch so I know I'll have to give it some attention eventually. I haven't done much research on the subject though. Whats the price difference of getting a Barnett kit and getting Kawi replacement parts?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear, I'm hard on my clutch so I know I'll have to give it some attention eventually. I haven't done much research on the subject though. Whats the price difference of getting a Barnett kit and getting Kawi replacement parts?
Honestly I don't know. I didn't price out the stock stuff, I really wanted to try out the Barnett kit. I got it on eBay for $200 shipped to Canada. Sucks that nothing is available in Canada at a reasonable price so I have to eat it on shipping most of the time... You guys in the states should be able to get it for around $170 shipped.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K, now that I have a few hundred KM on the clutch I decided I am taking it out. It started out good but once it broke in it is crap. It sticks to much and there is just no transition from disengaged to engaged. It is jolty on take off, up shifts while at speed are good, that is unless you are shifting mid corner and fail to match rpm perfectly. My biggest problem is down shifting, it sticks and down shifts are very laboured, especially 2 to 1. I was wrong and it seems that a company that has been around this long can produce a bad product. I can't imagine where this type of clutch operation would be benificial. I will keep the stiffer springs and may put the plates on eBay for like 50 bucks, maybe somebody will have some use for them at that price. Anyway just wanted to let you guys know so you don't buy some because of this thread.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
What kind of plates are you going with?

Thanks for the update, I think when the time comes I'll probably shell out a few extra bucks for some factory Kawi stuff, always hard to beat IMO.

·
Registered
434 Posts
...an either/or situation? Running stock plates with stronger springs....or Barnett plates with OE springs?:confuse:

I agree, the stock, friction plates and steel plates are perfect, just upgrade to stronger springs....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...an either/or situation? Running stock plates with stronger springs....or Barnett plates with OE springs?:confuse:
Yeah, a friend suggested the stock springs with the Barnett plates but I really don't think that would work. The engagement is so abrupt no matter how slow I let out the clutch, I cant see softer springs helping.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have an EBC clutch kit in my Z, it works great and the price was right. I believe I found it on Ebay for around $90.

Inthered

·
Registered
120 Posts
best bet..

heavier springs... and either ebc, or stock plates. kaw stock clutches are known for being among the strongest. A legacy from the old Z1/KZ series...

·
Registered
834 Posts
K, now that I have a few hundred KM on the clutch I decided I am taking it out. It started out good but once it broke in it is crap. It sticks to much and there is just no transition from disengaged to engaged. It is jolty on take off, up shifts while at speed are good, that is unless you are shifting mid corner and fail to match rpm perfectly. My biggest problem is down shifting, it sticks and down shifts are very laboured, especially 2 to 1. I was wrong and it seems that a company that has been around this long can produce a bad product. I can't imagine where this type of clutch operation would be benificial. I will keep the stiffer springs and may put the plates on eBay for like 50 bucks, maybe somebody will have some use for them at that price. Anyway just wanted to let you guys know so you don't buy some because of this thread.
I had a full Barnett clutch kit on a Honda 400F in 1980 that I didn't keep very long due to the plate sticking together and even with the clutch lever pulled, the bike had to be pushed to get going and then engage first gear. It took a bit to get the plates to free themselves but not completly. It never slipped but never really disengaged either.

I will always stay with stock plates - you can't beat them.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
heavier springs... and either ebc, or stock plates. kaw stock clutches are known for being among the strongest. A legacy from the old Z1/KZ series...

Hmm... I want to try some stiffer springs with my stock clutch. On a few occasions I have felt it slip slightly (I run proper oil, too). What springs do you recommend? Barnett does the trick?

·
Registered
214 Posts
i just ordered Burnett springs,after noticing some slipige.i only got about 10k on the bike so i dont think that original clutch is the problem.it may be due to using full synthetic.
now my Q is: do i have to change the clutch cover gasket while i'm at it?thanks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just ordered Burnett springs,after noticing some slipige.i only got about 10k on the bike so i dont think that original clutch is the problem.it may be due to using full synthetic.
now my Q is: do i have to change the clutch cover gasket while i'm at it?thanks.
I had mine apart 3 times and managed to reuse the original gasket every time. That being said, you should have another gasket handy everytime you take a cover off just in case. Take it apart carefully and it may not tear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gday all
I wanna put heavier springs in but not sure what brand to go
are the barnett springs good?, just reading this post it seems that their clutches are very ordinary

·
Registered
709 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/87/12165/20953/PITEM/Vesrah-Racing-Heavy-Duty-Clutch-Spring-Kit-2003-Kawasaki-Z1000-Parts.aspx

these were the first that came up in a google search. never heard of them so i makes me a little uneasy to buy them.

EBC has full kevlar kit with springs at good price on ebay. Might have to give them a try when I add the spray. A reliable source told me the stock clutch wont take a 20 shot very well.
what does that mean?"20 shot"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts