RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - it is a crappy, misty, not really cold but not warm day in Central NC - reminds me of many days in Germany when I was a Soldier. I remember people commuting in just about any weather there - if you wait for a clear sunny day to ride - well you wont be riding much.

Here is the question - those of you who commute or are bike only for your mode of transportation - what do you do to remain safe, stay at least marginally comfortable and continue every day to work etc.

My thoughts are -

1. man up - it isn't going to be pretty all the time, get used to being less than perfectly comfortable.
2. Spend the money on good gear and if you have the money - have a second set of gear so you have one drying while you get wet with the other
3. Use a Dry sack for the clothes you need at work (I'm an office geek with computer hands).
4. Clean and prep your visor regularly with anti fog goo - or get a pinlock - whatever you need/works for you.
5. Clean and lube the important parts of your bike like the manufacturer says to do... and the usual chex - tire/tyre pressure, wear etc.. (Tcloc.....)

My main question to you is - what do you add to be able to see in the dark with a fogged/rain covered visor?

Wiping only goes so far even with the thumb squeegee gloves....
What can you add to this and what do you do - please let us know

Thanks in advance - Cag

·
Registered
1997 Yamaha Seca II
7 Posts
Well, I ride year around and this is in SE Missouri so we do see our share of cold/nasty weather. When it gets cold, I install the insulated liners in my one-piece suit or the jacket/pants combo. I wear that over my normal work clothes, I'm also in I.T.
I then have a heated vest & jacket to help keep my core warm. I have heated grips to help keep my hands warm. My visor is treated with anti-fog coating from Scorpion however it still fogs up somewhat until I've gone down the road a little. A co-worker has a pinlock on his helmet visor and it works pretty good for him.

As for my bike, normal routine maintenance including keeping the chain oiled and putting the bike on a battery tender at night so the battery will be kept charged and warm. I also have a digital voltmeter installed so I know how much power I'm pulling from my battery and can adjust the heated gear draw as needed to keep it around 13V+.

As long as the roads are clear I'll take the bike, I've rode to work when the temp has gotten down to 12*F. However, that was some time ago and nowadays I don't ride much under 20*F. If the roads are snow/ice covered then I may call in and take a vacation day or drive my 4x4 Dodge Pickup. As I've got a long 30 mile, 45-60min rural highway commute to work.
This may/may not work for others, but it's what I have been doing for the last 15+ yrs.

ps. That choice #1 helps out some too.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have no special recommendations for keeping the face shield clean. Inside the face shield is also a challenge with fogging. It’s been better or worse depending on helmet choice. My old RF1100 was better than my current AGV helmet in that respect. The biggest necessity for me is the heated grips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You might want to try the Pinlock visor insert. It is made out of a material that contains moisture absorbing properties, which reacts like a sponge and absorbs moisture effectively. ... The pocket of air that is trapped in between the visors acts as an insulator for the inside temperatures in the motorcycle helmet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heated grips all the way without a doubt a must have. I just installed a set on my z1000 and loving life. Added a Tom Tom 550 this year so I don’t get lost and it displays text messages on the screen via the phone. JBL speakers with my Cardo bluetooth headset for group riding or if i need to make/take a call. Cardo also does voice command so in theory I should be able to make a call as long as my helmet still on if I’m in an accident and Conscious. Just ordered the galaxy man rear tank bag to keep my rain jacket, pants, wet/cold gloves and flashlight. Double check tire pressure as every 10° in temperature change there is 1 psi in pressure change approximately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts