RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be buying one of these as a third bike. It's an 01 zr7s with 3k miles on it for $1500. I feel like there price is kinda high considering it likely needs all rubber replaced since it wasn't used much and has scratched fairings. What should I pay and what should I expect as far as common issues go?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
The most common issue with the 7s is the fairing buzz. There are lots of fix suggestions depending on if it's the headlight or fairing buzzing, but it's more of an annoyance vs a required repair.

These bikes are straight forward and usually just need the recommended maintenance as per the service manual. You can buy the manual or it can be found online for free.

Replacement fairings are usually pricey on ebay and used gas tanks (if needed) are almost impossible to find. If the fiarings are there and not broken and un-fixable, then I'd say repaint them vs replacement would be the easier option.

A common issue is looking for a 6th gear when driving, usually helped by replacing the stock 16 tooth front sprocket with a 17 tooth one.

If the bike hasn't had the carbs fooled with it's common to adjust them so they run a little richer. This is usually an easy job with lots of how-to's here on the forum.

Other common mods are fork preload adjusters (either a pvc insert or adjustable caps) as well as wiring the headlight thru a relay vs the stock wiring. This allows a better current draw and supposedly a bit better light.
Mirror extenders are also nice so you don't see as much of your elbows when looking behind yourself in them.

Once the general maintenance is checked, and assuming all the hoses, cables, tires and mechanical parts are in order it's normally just ride and go until the next scheduled maintenance.

Being air cooled and carbureted they really are a simple and reliable bike. I love mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm very glad to hear that they're very reliable and that you enjoy yours! My concern when looking online is how frequently the valves need to be checked and adjusted. How long of a process is this? Also is $1500 a good price for a 2001 with low miles? The lack of miles concerns me more than high mileage does. If it was $1000 I would jump on it immediately. I saw on nada guides the average price is $1150 or so for that year but I'm guessing that is assuming much higher mileage

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I can't say if that's a good price. Here in Canada the average right now is between $1800-2800 and the mileage is higher. It's often hard to compare the online book prices to what people ask in the real world. People don't always price something based on what a vehicle is actually worth :) Its a matter of if you are willing to pay what the seller wants for the item bad enough (I think of paying $4.00 for a 2L bottle of soda at the corner store vs the same bottle for $0.99 at the grocery store)
As for valves I've only had mine done once in 7 years, but it was noticeable as the bike became increasingly (to almost impossibly) hard to start when it was cold out. I can't say what the exact schedule for those are supposed to be.. I'm more of a reactionary maintenance guy when it comes to engine internals. The main things get checked & done regularly (engine oil, air & oil filters, grease fittings on the swingarm/shock linkages, fork oil, tires, air pressure, brake pads, chain, sprockets, steering bearing)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be happy to know you likely talked me into it haha. How is it worth a passenger? My Vulcan is great but my CBR is miserable because my girlfriend leave on me. I'm guessing it will fall right in between the two

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
It's ok with a passenger. I've had both my kids (one at a time) as well as my wife with me on the highway, 110km/hr and about 100km distance without issues. Jaunting around local in town is fine too with the bike handling fine (some credit to the passenger for knowing how to lean etc!) You may want to adjust the rear shock preload and rebound when riding 2up, or leave it firm all the time. I also have a belt for the pillion to hold on to vs having to wrap their arms around me. (I also removed my rear grab handles when I installed my hard luggage.) Here's a link to the belt. My wife enjoys it as she doesn't have to lean into me and bang her helmet into the back of mine and she says she feels more secure that way vs the wrap around hug. I appreciate the lack of helmet banging too!

If you want to compare motorcycles with and without the extra passenger to see how things are you can use this site. https://cycle-ergo.com/

You can add the zr7s and your Vulcan and tab between the 2 images. It helps to adjust the stats on the side for your height and inseam. There's also a spot to add a passenger, as well as modify the bike and show you with feet on the ground etc. Very handy for comparing something you know how you feel on vs something you don't. That being said the best way is indeed to try it in person, but if you're thinking about a bike that's a few hours away this is a good quick check vs driving 4 hrs return to find out the bike sucked when you sat on it :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm up to 29,000km since the year 2000 and I've had the valve clearances done just once, early on it the bike's life (mine is a ZR7 not 7s). Finally took it for a ride yesterday, and it performed beautifully. I'm not too fussed about the lack of 6th gear because I'm an old f%rt and don't like to go too fast. I also had the fork preload mod done years ago, but to be honest, I couldn't notice the difference. That plus a kind of hugger thing I made out of insertion rubber (you can possibly find this mod on the old, original BB), and a micron slip-on (no adjustment to jets needed), plus a front fender extension, are the only other mods. Oh yes, not to forget adding some decent horns. The only other biggie was the starter motor, which kind of ground its way down to non-performance, but I managed to find a second-had replacement at a wreckers - pretty easy to remove and install the replacement.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Reliable and comfy..Valves use shims so its a bit of a pain to set up but you can go around 20-30,000kms between checks so thats ok.

Anilv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts