RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend as I was passing a car on the highway I down shifted 2 gears and all I heard was my revs. My clutch is beginning to slip :( I've got 32000 miles . How hard is it to change the clutch? I'm good in the lower gears but at speed it sure does slip anyone got suggestions? I'm mecxhanically inclined have changed a clutch in an rx7 and even swapped my brothers engine in his acura integra. How much is this gonna set me back and is a slipper clutch a good upgrade?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Clutch plates and springs are about $100 for most bikes. You may or may not need a gasket for the cover, some bikes just use sealant. Its about an hour job once the fairing is off.

edit: You need four friction disks ($12.50 each), five springs ($5 each), and a gasket for $14.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Even with those kind of miles, be very sure you don't just need a cable adjustment. Loosen it all the way up so there's complete slop in the cable and take it for a ride just to be sure. I think this forum is loaded with people who put in new springs when they don't have to because their clutch is slipping. I almost did, with the same symptoms as you but it was just a too tight cable.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I think this forum is loaded with people who put in new springs when they don't have to because their clutch is slipping. I almost did, with the same symptoms as you but it was just a too tight cable.
+1000! Unless you're a mad stunta, your clutchcable is porbably in need of adjustment. Simple and FREE!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think this forum is loaded with people who put in new springs when they don't have to because their clutch is slipping.
Mine slipped.
Adjusted the cable, still slipped.
Replaced stock clutch springs with Barnett springs made specifically for 650....problem solved.
Explain that.

If you ride "normal" they'll likely not slip.
Ride it like you stole it and they'll slip.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips I will try the clutch cable adjustment first

·
Registered
14 Posts
I asumed that the OP had already checked the cable adjustment. He seems to have enough miles to have worn out a clutch, I usually have to replace them somewhere between 20,000 and 35,000 miles depending on the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts