RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok been away from here for awhile as my bike has been running great.....now i have an issue so here goes...

when i got my forks done the mechanic test rode it and said that he "noticed my clutch slipping a lil bit"....his fix? he said i needed that stiffer clutch spring mod you guys are doing.....ok so 3weeks go by and since then i have a VERY noticeable vibration between 2k and 3k rpm's...it starts AT 2k and promptly ends AT 3k in every gear.....it still pulls hard off the line, great thru and at the top of each gear..(was "messing" around with a 900 classic this past weekend)
so my question is.....is this a clutch issue or something else?

mods are homemade pipes, pc III (laptop tuned for 50% economy 50%power), chuckster intake...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm hoping somebody answers this post b/c I have noticed the same problem on mine. The vibration doesn't stop until around 3500 rpm on mine though. It's so bad that I can't see out the mirrors like used to.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
A clutch would cause slippage. Have you experienced that? Saying a vibration is a slipping clutch isn't right unless something is seriously wrong inside of there.

A vibration isn't necessarily from the engine. It can easily be something else thats just loose. When your engine gets to the harmonic range that makes whatever the part is vibrate then it will. When you get out of that range it stops. Best thing is to give everything a once over and rule out the simple things like the chronic headlight and radiator shroud rattles and then go from there.

On a V4 or I4 synchronizing the throttle bodies gets rid of that type of vibration that a bike may develop over time in a specfiic range. But these bikes don't have any to sync.

The fact that you had your forks serviced leads me to believe that he didn't put anything around the harness in the headlight bucket to prevent it from rattling. I had a heck of a time getting that thing to be quiet and it only happened in certain rpm ranges. Stuffed the whole stupid thing with foam after 3 months of screwing with it. Never a vibration or rattle from the bike again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was thinking about something loose as well b/c I can sometimes hear it when downshifting, but have yet found it. I've searched for almost an hour on the forum and found that there has been other people that had the same problem but never said what they found out.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Like I said, two most common rattles are headlight bucket and radiator shroud. If you don't have anything wrapped around the headlight harness then it is guaranteed to rattle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just checked my bike by cranking it and locking my cruise at 2600 rpm sitting still and the vibration is definitely from the engine. Is there any kind of adjustment on the counter balancer inside the engine? If I was betting anything, that's what it is, but I'm fairly new to the v-twin world

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Nope and I really doubt it unless you have something major wrong with the engine internals. Seriously, take your headlight front off and look. It's 2 screws. You won't loose anything by looking. My entire front half of the bike vibrated when the thing was goin crazy.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nope and I really doubt it unless you have something major wrong with the engine internals. Seriously, take your headlight front off and look. It's 2 screws. You won't loose anything by looking. My entire front half of the bike vibrated when the thing was goin crazy.
Yup, taped my together and stuff something around it to keep it from rattling, quiet even since.

Jon

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i was gonna say i KNOW my bucket is tight...and the vibration comes from under me....i dunno.....i havent chked but if my oil is low could that be it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
yea i was gonna say i KNOW my bucket is tight...and the vibration comes from under me....i dunno.....i havent chked but if my oil is low could that be it?

I am trying to figure out why, if the mechanic told you your clutch is slipping, that you would come and ask here? Do you not trust this mechanic?

And.....why are you knowingly riding your bike when you know the oil is low??? This seems like a really bad idea.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am trying to figure out why, if the mechanic told you your clutch is slipping, that you would come and ask here? Do you not trust this mechanic?

And.....why are you knowingly riding your bike when you know the oil is low??? This seems like a really bad idea.
ok for one....he said its slipping...since this is my first bike, im asking because i dont know if the vibrating is a symptom of that, i just dont know....and i trust him fine he works on all my families bikes, and he's not here to ask or an owner of a MS that i can ask..

for two....its not quite time for an oil change so i havent recently chkd it and its too dark to go out and look, so i asked if my bike "WERE" to be low on oil could this in fact be a cause of the said vibration?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A slipping clutch is a symptom of a slipping clutch.
well if its like a car, where you have moments where you disengage....rev up and slide back into gear...than i dont have that....

·
Registered
674 Posts
A slipping clutch is most noticeable in higher gears and low engine rpm's (maximum load on driveline). When you upshift from third to fourth or fourth to fifth at low engine speed the engine would rev up and the bike wouldn't really pull. That's a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A slipping clutch is most noticeable in higher gears and low engine rpm's (maximum load on driveline). When you upshift from third to fourth or fourth to fifth at low engine speed the engine would rev up and the bike wouldn't really pull. That's a slipping clutch.
ok well i dont have that.....so now i still have a vibration problem......

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
All of these bikes have some sort of engine vibration at somewhere between 2500 adn 3200 rpm. The more out of tune the fuel adjustments are the worse the vibration. You need to do fuel adjustments on your PCIII to minimize and possible alleviate the vibration problem. Mine show at around 3200 rpm but is only between 3200 and 3300 rpm so I just avoid that RPM range (don't have a PCIII). It's usually a sign of too much fuel....

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Some people have had their clutch spring break. Is it only clicking or trouble shifting or popping out of gear too?

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Mine has the vibration at around 1800-2000 rpm and thats all. I just try and not be at that rpm much. This is common for our bikes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
its more like multiple click sounds with the clutch is engaging. Any one experienced this?
Yes. Dog style gears dont like to be shifted like a car (i.e. clutch in, shift,clutch out). Try shifting by 'preloading' the shifter FIRST (i.e. putting pressure on the shift lever) and then start squeezing clutch lever second until it drops into the next gear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts