RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absolutely love my N1K except for a few minor glitches, and most of those have been cured with aftermarket parts. The most annoying remaining problem is with the clutch. When under engine braking there are times when pulling the clutch lever all the way to the bar won't even off load the drive train and engine braking continues for a very short time (about a second) that makes downshifting nearly impossible. Most of the time I use only 2 fingers on clutch or brake but have tried using all four fingers and pulling all the way to the bar to make sure it was not a technique problem. Upshifts don't have any problem (since I took the slack out of the throttle cables) and often even the down shifts under engine braking are ok, but once in a while pulling the clutch lever just doesn't seem to do anything until after a brief (and very annoying:mad:) delay. Never had any similar problems with any other bike (3different FJR's, honda VFR, suzuki gsxr 1K, fz6, zx10r, even Kawi versys). Anyone else experience anything similar? Any ideas? I would be happy to replace the clutch if I could find a good slipper clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not cable adjustment. I normally shift with 2 fingers and leave 2 on the bar with no problem, even sitting at stop light. Also, upshifts are smooth and engine revs freely even with 2 finger shift with my other 2 fingers between the lever and the bar. For some reason it is sporadically a problem with downshifts but not always.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have problems downshifting. I have had around 40 bikes and this one is easily the worst when trying to downshift while coming to a stop. Not sure if it clutch related or a weak detent spring.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Are we reving the bike before down shift... I have no issues when doing that

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
are you using adjustable after market levers
if so they need to be set to position 4 or above or the clutch does not fully disengauge

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine was a poor shifter when I first got it too. The cable seemed like it was correctly adjusted - a couple mm of gap before take-up. My handlebar adjuster was almost wound out, so I turned it all the way in and removed slack at the clutch case. It now shifts much better - not flawless but still very acceptable. I don't know why it works better but perhaps the lever on the clutch casing now has a better leverage point or a different throw angle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts