RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just went over 22,000 miles and my clutch cable was stretched to the max. Or so I thought. I changed my clutch, using a barnett now, and when I did I found that the pusher rod, which connects the actuation rod (hooked to the cable through the outer cover) had the contact point mushroomed out. I tried to sand down the edges. It worked for a while but then it gave out completely. The end broke off the pusher rod and the clutch was useless. I've replaced the pusher rod and the clutch is like new. The cable did not stretch as much as expected, it was all the pusher rod. So give a look gents, just wanted to pass on the info.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for the info. My clutch cable is about at its max I think.

Can you post a pic of what to look ar specifically?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thinks thats whats going on with mine...16k...

Appears stretched and can feel/hear something catching or loose...Very slightly but somethings up..Left side more...Next month I will find out...

Thanks for the lead...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just went over 22,000 miles and my clutch cable was stretched to the max. Or so I thought. I changed my clutch, using a barnett now, and when I did I found that the pusher rod, which connects the actuation rod (hooked to the cable through the outer cover) had the contact point mushroomed out. I tried to sand down the edges. It worked for a while but then it gave out completely. The end broke off the pusher rod and the clutch was useless. I've replaced the pusher rod and the clutch is like new. The cable did not stretch as much as expected, it was all the pusher rod. So give a look gents, just wanted to pass on the info.
Exactly the same thing I found on my clutch. I had a little slip at high rpm's so I went with EBC HD springs and it never slipped again in 2k miles. However, I found the same issue with the pusher rod, filed it, then took it apart in 1,000 miles and it was mushroomed again. So I replaced it and paid close attention to why it would have been rubbing all the time. The lever at the clutch case with the little spring on it MUST have play or it will rub the pusher pin constantly! Start your cable adjustment there and make sure the spring pulls back the cable, if not lube your cable, then make sure you have play. The adjuster at the bars are for fine tuning, but beware you can just take all the play out at the clutch case level so check back and forth until you get it right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im Stupid after working...My Brain is dead....Sorry

How would you make this inspection a Saturady Night Special....AKA 1 hour or so rip and fix/Inspect...

Thanks Rocco

1 - 9 of 9 Posts