RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 08 650r with about 18,000 miles on it. I've noticed that the clutch appears to be dragging a little. If I'm at a stoplight in 1st, clutch lever all the way in, the bike will still want to move forward a touch. This is much more noticeable when my wife is on the bike (damn near wants to take off), as she weighs about 70lbs less than I do.

What can I do to adjust the clutch itself? I tried adjusting the cable at the lever, but that only seemed to make it worse when I tightened it up.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Something doesn't sound right here. You tightened the cable and it is worse? Are you positive you didn't loosen the cable?

There needs to be some play at the lever or you risk the clutch plates not fully engaging and burning them out.

Have you downloaded a service manual?

Either you cable is not adjusted correctly or has stretched beyond its useful range. Have you checked the other end of the cable to see if there is an adjustment on that end?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm certain I was tightening the cable. Turned the knob so it moved away from the clutch lever. I'll admit, it may have done absolutely nothing, and I was just perceiving the condition as worse than before, but it definitely didn't fix it.

I do have a copy of the service manual, I didn't see anything in there about a spec for the cable length overall. Should I just get a new cable?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts