RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 650R is not quite the same as it was after I took it in for the 600 mile service today. The first thing I noticed was that the bike is slow to get up and go when I am engaging the clutch from a flat surface start and go. Almost feel like the bike is engaging the friction zone much later than previously set. I also had to feed it a little bit more gas than usual to get it going (as oppose to before). This problem is magnified even more when I stopped at an uphill red light 6 blocks from my house. Being that I am a shorter rider/shorter inseam of only 28"; I am left footing while using right foot to use rear brake at stop/stop lights. I found it extremely discomforting today at the uphill red light. The bike initially slid backward almost an inch with the clutch almost fully engaged, slowly opening throttle, and feathering off the rear brake. This is a usual stop I make almost daily to and from work or anytime I am returning home.

Prior to the service, I never had this discomforting feeling of sliding backward on the bike. Previously, the friction zone seems to be engaged almost 40-45% partway of releasing the clutch and the get up and go on the bike was very stable and had a good pull to it. Countless stops before from this very same uphill red light, if clutch hits the friction zone, I can feel the bike pulling itself forward, rolled on gas, feather off the rear brake and I was off in a jiffy. Now, I am feeling uncomfortable at this uphill red light. I thought it was just me but 18 tries later confirms that it's the bike and not me.

The service station where I had the bike serviced is 60 miles from my home. Is this something I can easily fix on my own? I had google up "650r clutch adjustment, "Ninja 650 clutch play setting" and numerous other search queries. I have not found useful info that I can use to resolve this issue. Your advices and help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the owner's manual, I attempted to adjust the clutch play but couldn't. My locking nut is very tight and can't be unlock by hand. I also see a notch cut into it; does the unlocking nut require a special tool to loosen it before I can adjust the clutch play?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You shouldn't need a special tool. Use a pair of channel locks or other expandable pliers and wrap a rag around the locking nut between the nut and the pliers so you don't remove the knurled edges on the nut.

The notch in the nut is so the nut can be removed from the cable.

·
Registered
586 Posts
just jam a screwdriver in the slot of the locking nut and undo it.

There should be very little play in the clutch, 2-3mm or a "nickel's worth (width)"

Perhaps you got used to an improperly adjusted clutch.

And to be honest, you sound like you're suffering the same issue my GF has with her clutch, i.e. too slow and too timid when engaging the clutch from a standstill. Perhaps some practice in proper takeoffs is in order?

On a steep hill there should be absolutely no problem doing what you're doing, regardless of where the clutch takes up... unless the clutch is slipping you should be opening the throttle and immediately opening your left hand until the clutch grabs, then seamlessly increasing throttle and releasing the clutch...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All other friends who came to check on the clutch said it was fine. The original problem was that I become accustom to the friction zone engaging a lot sooner than it is now. I developed an automatic tendency and expectation that the friction zone was engaged at about 40-45% into the release. I guess the clutch was adjusted slightly different than when I bought the bike but all is good now. Had to re-adjust my tendency and was able to manuever the hill stop now.

Thanks for all the advices and comments.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
just saw this.

I had my dealer change the way my stock clutch engaged also, right at the first 600 mile service.

I also much prefer to have the clutch engage sooner, and couldn't find anything in the manual for how to change this. There's info on how to change the few mm's of freeplay, but none on how to change the friction zone to occurring sooner.
Is that the same thing? Was my bike initially set up wrong?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts