RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went today with great expectations....these clubman bars looked awesome..so, I eyed them on my bike to see if they were going to hit the tank.....no problem there.....so, I took off the stock bars and put these on....it only took a couple of seconds to see that they wouldn't work.....the brake and clutch cables were way too short! Does anybody have a secret to this? Or is it a matter of buying longer cables?? If that's the case, I may just keep the stock bars....but, man these sure look good on it!!

If you have any ideas, please let me know....I really wanted to keep these!!
Twyla

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
the way the clubman bars mount they push the bars about 5 or 6 inches forward of the mounting points. i had looked at a set of these last week but dismissed them outright becasue they were way lower than i wanted. i never even considered cables but it doesn't surprise me.

scott

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clubman bars were really nice....and honestly they weren't THAT low....not compared to clip ons anyway.....but, yes, they are wider and that was the problem. To get the down angle that you get from them, it's got a high (inner section....dont' know what to calll it....) the part closest to the ignition....it goes up high, then they angle down quickly.

They look SWEET! And if I wanted to change out my cables, I think I'd love them, but I don't feel like doing that....

I want to know if anyone has tried clip-ons WITH the fairing. It looks like they'd hit the plastic....and is there enough room to get them "clipped on"??

I'm also goign to stop by and look at drag bars today. My husband said we can cut the width....so maybe they'll work....who knows. I'm just playing around with different things for now.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
twyla, i think you put them on backwards. that high part you refer to should be going forward, not up. then the hand grips part of the bars should slope down from a point 5 or 6 inches in front of the mounts. take a look at the pics on this W650 site:

http://www.twheels.com/w650racer.htm

is this how you had them mounted?

scott :)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
A guy I was in Saudi with showed me a picture of his bike with 'em on. His is a 2000 ZR-7 and everything seemed to look all right (functionally). His bars may have been shorter also. One thing also to worry about when the bars are too long is when you turn the bars it will sometimes pull the throttle cable increasing engine speed. This is easily and commonly cured by cutting off the bars equally on both ends making sure you leave enough to mount your throttle, brake and clutch assemblies before any curves in the bars.

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As my wonderful husband just so lovingly informed me after questioning him as to "how about this.." or, maybe we didn't put them on right..."They don't fit!"....yes sir! Okay....I looked at the picture...(thanks Scott) and with the 7s they can't fit on that way because of the fairing...you have to rotate them more to get them to not hit the fairing....so, that wasn't it. I suggested cutting the ends off and he says that THAT wouldn't work either because he said it wasn't the length that was the problem....(thanks for the idea Martin)

I don't know...if any of you see a 7s with these bars, please let me know! I'd love to keep them, but my wonderful husband keeps telling me they won't work....

You know us stubborn women....there's gotta be SOME way to make them work!!! :) haha

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
O.K., plan "B". Drill through the triple clamp (or just change it) and go to a taller mount. That will raise the bars up off the fairing (possibly) and get the bar ends up to where they're in the operating range of the cables.

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep reading and running back to my husband and saying "how about this..." I know he wishes I'd never found this forum! :D

Anyway....okay, he said the riser idea just might do it....AND, he just happened to remember that he had an extra brand new stainless steel brakeline laying around that is longer than the one that I have....WOO HOO!!.... I'm not sure this is all going to worth all the trouble....what if I do all this work, put these bars on and go...."EWWW" Do I just chalk it up to learning??? ;)

Anybody know where i can get some bar risers?? Kinda funny....buying bar risers to lower my handle bars..... :)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
You can then either turn your new bars into decorative candle holders or maybe a conversation piece (After all that, I'm sure you husband will have something to say). Nah! He's a bike guy. We all know it's trial and error with alot of what we do. Just part of the fun!:)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
ok, here goes...

ahhh! risers! there are two kinds that i know of. one that someone on the board mounted (who?) cost about $110 (yikes!) and take the bar mounts up and back. another kind takes them straight up. i think these cost less.

up and back: click on "universal risers"
http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/

straight up: page down a bit
http://www.bracken.co.uk/touratech/catalog/epum.htm
i think you could use type 3, 4 and 5. i found these elsewhere before with prices but i don't remember exactly where :( if you do some searching i'm sure you can find it.

i considered both of these when i had injured my back and riding with the stock bars was painful. i'm better now and don't need them :) personally, i think $110 is a complete ripoff. this is a few chunks of aluminum and some bolts, come on!

i'd suggest you make cardboard or plywood cutouts to simulate the bar position of each. do a test mount/positioning and see how they look, feel, etc. then maybe order a set. see what the company's return policy is. some are great, some suck. find out *before* you order.

unfortunately sometimes you've got to just dive in and see if it works. unless someone has done the exact same thing it's sometimes tough to tell if it's going to work or not. whether or not you'll like it, well that's almost impossible to tell ;) at least you get some ideas from this board.

see if you can find a dealer nearby with a used cafe racer. then at least you can go see the bike and sit on it. this might give you a flavor of what's to come and let you make a better decision.

also, somewhere on the old board someone was going to mount clubman's on a zr-7, easier without the fairing. search and contact them and see what their experience was.

an easier and cheaper idea might be to just mount drag bars turned down a bit. this would give an angle similar to the clubmans but be mounted further back. if you look on the w650 page at the "getting there" pic that's what was done. don't know how clearance with the tank would be on this one.

BTW this might be informative but that candle holder idea is WAY creative ;)

hope all this rambling helps :)

scott

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
The ones at zianet.com (7/8 dia. 1" up and 1 3/8" back) are the ones that J.C.Whitney use to sell for $20.00. I had a set of those on the bars and a set of lowering blocks on the rear shocks of my old CB750. I would think you could have someone make you a set for less than $50.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Clubman Bar

Best Regards Team:

TWYLA: Where you got the "Clubman Bar"? I'm the one with the ZR-7 planning to install them. Thanks. If you decide to get rid of them let me know I'm in Houston.

Robert
ZR7OA #35

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got the clubman bar from one of our local cycle shops. They had several different bars, so I grabbed this one. They were only $19.99, and they don't seem that hard to find.

One problem we discovered is that if you put them on the right way, the width of the "u" shape in the middle doesn't clear the triple tree....otherwise they would have worked great! If the triple tree is the same on the 7 and the 7s, then you might have problems, but maybe you could angle them differently, or turn them upside down (that was where the brakes lines became too short...)

That was a lot of really useful information! Now, I gotta try everything (well, maybe not everything ) that you suggested.

The websites looked great. I looked at the second one, but they all say they are for KTM or BMW bikes....do they work on anything?? Hope that's not a stupid question!

I'll show all this to my husband when I get home from work!
Thanks for all the help! I really want to do this....ya know how it feels when you get excited about a change you are making to your bike and it doesn't work out.....I was bummed last night....but I think we'll make it through! :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
hey twyla, i was mistaken, you can't use type 3, only types 4 and 5 i think. i believe 22mm bars are the same as 7/8" bars. they list the distance between bolts (top and bottom on the clamp) as 32 mm. i'm guessing this is the distance between bolt centers and should line up with the zr-7/7s.

scott

·
Registered
706 Posts
Clubman Bars installed.

Best Regards Team:

I just installed the new Clubman bar and it looks AWESOME...! Twyla was right, they do not clear the triple tree so I just lower the Clubman bar until it touches the Triple tree and they look exactly like the ones in the W650 web site. No problem at all with the cables and brake line. I love the new look of the ZR-7, now it makes the bike look with a "Cafe Racer" touch also the handle of the bike feels really like a sport bike. My right wrist was soring after a quick test ride of only 15 miles this maybe because it was first time riding in that position..I will star doing some writs excercises to improve strong in that area of the hand. Will post pictures soon and I will follow with any observations regarding this mod.

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, please post pictures! I want to see it! I still want to make my drag bars work, but I'm gonna have to put on bar risers for them to work. That just makes me laugh...bar risers to lower the handle bars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts