RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on my way to pick up some flame theme mirrors in North Kansas City yesterday at Alter Ego Motorcycle shop (a must see if you are in Kansas City) an let my offensive driving skills lax a bit when it happened. I was just about to the exit and came up on a semi. There were cars on both sides with no escape route and chunks of black rubber started shooting at me from under the trialer. Then here it came...3/4 of the tread of a tire shot out and came to rest standing up right in front of me. No where to go, I just tightened up my arms and tightly griped the bars and hit it. When it went up under the bike, part of it grabbed my leg, and the other slammed the pipes and smacked the right side cover. After a bit of wiggle, I was still alive and pulled to the side of the road to suvey the damage. Scrached side cover, and pipes, and a nice bruise on my left leg.. Did I ever tell you I hate driving on the highway?....... Even more so NOW!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Dang man that was way too close! I'm glad you didn't panic and go down.

My closest call in many years happened the other day. I was stopped at the stop line on a T road. I was left of center. A full size pick up was coming from my right and was taking a left onto my road. The line the guy chose put his drivers side headlight hitting my bike. I didn't have time to go forward and to the right to avoid him. I started to stand up to bail off the bike and he swerved back onto his side of the road. He went pretty slow as I watched him in my mirror. The amazing thing was that I was wearing Kawasaki Green leathers and Helmet with a Yellow reflective sash to get me on base.

I bet he was more freaked out than I was. I stop back from the stop line now and will for some time I imagine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
OUCH! Glad you're ok at least! Sounds like you did the best thing for the situation by driving through it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Nice to hear you´re ok!

I put down my bike this morning, but not worse than the only body parts touching the ground was my feet. My own fault really since I didn't hold enough distance from the turning car in front of me when he hit the breaks to avoid a bicycle he didn't see in time. (We were both doing the same turn, so the speed was walking pace)
I hit the front brake and the wheel in front caved (of course).
No damage on neither me or my bike.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I was just about to the exit and came up on a semi.
I have been known to skip an exit when the path of travel takes me anywhere near the back of a semi for exactly this reason. GLad you made it out alive, cause it could have been a whole lot worse!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Great. Just what I needed to read less than a week from my 475 mile, mostly highway, trip. Ill be thinking of this every time I come up on a semi.
...........good to know you survived virtually unscathed.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i almost get ran over or hit with debris every morning on my way from 435/70 3 exits south on 435... im always scared

we should get a kc streak ride together soon... im going to thunder in the sand this weekend but im free next weekend

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad you're OK. I guess the damage is easy to repair, but a very scary event.

It's easy to forget how vulnerable we are on a bike on a motorway or dual carriageway with lots of traffic and big trucks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great. Just what I needed to read less than a week from my 475 mile, mostly highway, trip. Ill be thinking of this every time I come up on a semi.
...........good to know you survived virtually unscathed.
Not wanting to be a smarta$$.......but you should be!
We should ALWAYS be thinking "What happens if....?" everytimg we get on the bike. It's called situational awareness..... we choose to put ourselves in a vunerable position. It's our job to make sure we know where all of the hazards are at all times.

rb and Rubbe......glad your both ok.

dj

·
Registered
670 Posts
Not wanting to be a smarta$$.......but you should be!
We should ALWAYS be thinking "What happens if....?
I agree. I guess I was playfully referring more to having visions of being decapitated like the dummy on mythbusters when they showed just how dangerous a blown truck tire can be. Your point is valid however and not taken lightly.
Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts