RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I was waiting for my clip ons from Gary (yay!), I decided to get a bit inventive.
I picked up a set of clips from a 95 CBR 600. They are the same diameter as 650r forks. They have about a 1" rise to them.
Since I bought a set from BRP that are going to fit on top of my triples, I thought I'd see what would need to be done to fit the CBR clips to my buddies 650R.
It's going to take a bit of modding, I have to shave about 3/4" off the top and bottom of the clip unit itself to make a decent/clean fit on top of the triples. No problem there.

This lead me to take things a hair further. If someone could find clip ons with a 1" rise and extended forward from the clip unit about a half inch, we could use clip ons with our stock bodywork. That would set the bars level and just in front of the top triple clamp. I tested for all clearances and lock to lock turning and everything cleared with about a 10-15 degree bar angle back.

Somewhere out there, someone will find this interesting.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
As I've mentioned before, good oem clip-on candidates to try for fitment on the 650R are the following...

Older VFR 750
F2/F3
SV650S

These all have moderate rise and 41mm diameter. In related news has anyone reported on the convertibars yet? I was looking at handling those.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Convertibars was exactly what I was going to mention. They give you a lot of flexibility for positioning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This was posted on the other board regarding Converti's.

tried them on my bike about 50 different ways. its mostly GAUGE related. The clutch/brake lines will touch the gauge bezel. Not allowing full range of steering. So i angled the clip ons more off the side of the fork. That was a little better till i turned the bars and it hit the overflow for the radiator. Keep in mind this was with ALL plastic removed.
Sucks!. I was hoping those would work!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm getting A LOT closer.
Both the SV 650 and CBR 600 clip ons work. There a few mods to make, I'm working on them right now.
The SV clips look like they are going to go on UNDER the top triple. I gotta go pick up a tool, then we'll see for sure.
Yeah, it's all close, but if you make some adjustments, you won't hit anything.
Either way, the SV clips work just fine above the top triple. so do the CBR's.

I'll take photos and explain what needs to be done. I'll probably post it all tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, I'll post what I did tonight and take pictures tomorrow.
First let me say the clip ons are a night and day difference. As far as handling goes, NOW I have a real sportbike!

First off, mounting ANY clip ons under the top triple clamp won't work without major modifications to the top clamp. The SV clips will clear the bodywork and gauges, but the top clamp blocks the tightening bolts for the clamps. I'm sure several people would say "I told you so".
But really, the point is moot, the clip ons are awesome on top anyway.

I ended up going with the CBR600 clip ons. The SV clips are a lot nicer, (and highly recommended for fitment and comfort) but they are also an inch higher. (those are going on my buddies bike)
Here are the tricks:
You gotta lower the fork tubes at least an inch, I went for 1.25".
You need to pull the brake line off the master cylinder and flip it around backwards so the fitting bends towards the top clamp instead of the gauges.
You will need to re route your cables slightly so they all clear and don't shift too much, all I needed to do was bend the retaining brackets and add a couple of zip ties. I took out cable slack further back under the fairing and gas tank. Gotta pick up shorter braided lines next. 650shop has some...
You need to adjust the angle, turning lock to lock, several times to get everything centerd and to clear, there was NO fear of hitting the tank at full lock, just the gauges.
Now, this is definetly a function before fashion mod on my part, the CBR bars are narrower and the clamps are much wider (taller, about 1.5"), so they actually stick above the tubes a bit. (but damn they feel good!)
The SV clips actually look pretty damn factory, they are wider and a bit lighter too.

Here's a couple of personal notes from this experience.
I moved my gauges forward about 1/4", didn't need to, but it gave me a bit more adjustment with the bars and looks a bit cleaner in the "dash".
I also found a metal bracket behind the gauges, what the hell does it do? It isn't the bracket the gauges are mounted to, so I have no idea. I believe it was part of my buzzing problem. When I removed it I got about 50% less buzz and only when I let off the throttle for about a 200 rpm length of time.
I shaved the locating tabs from inside the switchgear and it all clamps tight to the bar. I can now adjust my lever and throttle angles to my hearts content. No more drilling holes!

Ok, I know the pictures will explain a lot more than my ramblings, so I'll take care of that tomorrow.

I can see how that guy was hitting his guages with convertibars, but you can mount those clamps in just about any direction. Perhaps he was trying to mount them angled too far forward. Mine are back about 35 degrees and I'm having no issues.

*EDIT*
I'd like to add that unless you are used to harder edge sportbikes or racebikes, stick with the Coerce hyper bars, the low models will be very sporty and comfy for about 90% of riders. You are also looking at a very simple mod. Clip ons for these bikes are only for people who just HAVE to have 'em.

·
Registered
42 Posts
when you post the pics can you explain how to lower the fork tubes also, im a newb when it comes to bikes, but very interested and thankful that you experimented! also i think i know what triple clamps are but not sure so could you point those out too! thanks for your help sorry to be a pain

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the info, im going to order some sv clip-ons today.....what year are the ones you used?

Wikky......just loosen the bolts for the clamps on the tubes, if your handlebars are on, just let the tubes slide up until they hit the handlebars, then tighten the bolts back up

anyone know where i can get a set of cheap sv650s clipons? ebay didnt really have anything

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, here we go
I'll add captions to the photos.

This is the flipped brakeline, it also shows the distance from the gauges at full lock left.

This is how close the clutch line gets at full lock right.

This is the SV bars in comparison to the CBR bars. (the CBR bars are mounted)

This picture simply shows the lower triple clamp and the bracket I rotated for the brake line. Those are the lower clamp bolts for anyone who doesn't know.

This is to give you a general idea of how it looks (for now). I'm having the clamps milled down 1/4" and having them painted black.

This is just a pic of the back of the gauges (looking up). I moved the rubber washers from the front of the mounting bracket to the back. There is also a thin metal plate missing not shown here.

I think these pics are long gone, sorry...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The SV top triple will not most likely fit. The guys at 650rshop would know. I don't know what year, BRP might.
Here is a pic of why they won't fit under the top clamp.

(picture of a 1 1/2" nub extending down from the top triple.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's a few bikes that are 41mm in case anyone can get a hold of the upper tripple to try out.

BMW Strada 41mm
Honda CB-1 89-90 41mm
Honda CBR1000 92-96 41mm
Honda CBR600F2/F3 91-98 41mm
Honda NT650 Hawk 88-90 41mm
Honda VTR1000 98-02 41mm
Kawasaki ZX10 88-90 41mm
Kawasaki ZX6/6R 90-97 41mm
Suzuki GSX750/1100 86-87 41mm
Suzuki GSXR1100 88-97 41mm
Suzuki GSXR600 88-97 41mm
Suzuki GSXR750 88-97 41mm
Suzuki SV650 99-04 41mm
Yamaha FZR750/1000 87-88 41mm
Yamaha YZF600 94-95 41mm

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My money would be on the ZX6 series, I'll have to take a look and some measurements.
Of course, there are always companies making custom triple clamps, if there's enough interest...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a couple of pics of the SV650 bars on my buddie's 650R. We just got 'em on...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's definetly a consideration. I think I'll wait 'til the bikes a bit older, lol.

1 - 20 of 397 Posts