RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would ask the riding community what is the preferred method for cleaning windscreen and visor plastics? I currently own a bottle of Plexus (which comes highly recommended for plastics), but I have no idea what is the best applicator material. I tried using some on my gauge cluster cover and windscreen with Autozone Brand X microfiber towels (needless to say, I do not recommend.) So what's the best solution? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I use good clean microfiber towels and Pledge, on everything. Have been for years. Plexus will do a slightly better job. The key is that microfiber has to be clean. If you have stuck on bugs, wet a paper towel with warm water and drape it over your shield for a bit to loosen up those bugs.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
It's good stuff. The Plexus and ShowTime is better I will say, but hey, I can get store brand Pledge for cheap and pick my sent! ROFLMAO

·
Registered
291 Posts
+1 on the Plexus and a microfiber. I clean all the plastics with this, and the rest of the bike gets a WD40 wipe down.

Ee work evry time ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yup. Wouldn't recommend it on the seat though :p

·
Registered
990 Posts
What exactly is the benefit of doing this? Kind of like applying a wax to the fairings? Haha that would be quite humorous if someone put that on their seat.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Benefit of Pledge/Plexus/Showtime? It's a cleaner and wax in one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So then where's the best place to get a good microfiber towel? Like I've said, I've had a few from autozone for my car but they can't have that high of a thread count, and the feel and scratch worse than something like a bath towel.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I've never paid much for mine, most probably have come from Harbor Freight or Walmart.

·
Registered
291 Posts
^^ That's where my two most recent ones came from. Never have had a problem. The majority of mine came from Autozone actually, strange to hear that you've had issues with them. Are you sure though that the problem was with the towels, and not something else? I know if you use a microfiber cloth over a semi-rough surface it can start to pull the fibers away....They're more geared towards fine polishing or final cleaning, rather than mass grime removal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A friend turned me onto Lucas Slickmist. I had been using Turtle Wax ICE but this Slickmist is the best. It is a cleaner and wax in one and is less expensive than ICE and smells good to boot. I also use microfiber towels, clean and free of any old grime that may not have come off during the wash. The key to any good wash, polish, final clean is nothing that can scratch between your cloth and the finish. A good dose of Slickmist even cleans away the heavy pollen this time of year with not much worry of scratching the finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts