RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting my wheels chrome plated. There is a shop that will do the job for $450 which includes a lifetime warranty against normal defects. I think it might give the bike more of a flashy look especially at night. Not to mention it would add to my visibilty from other drivers, nothing like them shining their lights in my Mirror wheels.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Srogaski,

I think that would look real nice. However one thing to consider is that the rear wheel gets dirty very quickly so it would look black after only a few miles.

Andy 2001 ZR-7S

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I had my wheels polished.

Details as follows :D

I took the bike to my tyre dealer, who stripped them ( discs, tyres etc etc ) then he dropped them at a local metal polisher who had previously agreed to do the job. The original wheels are painted (not powder coated) but I decided to have them acid dipped anyway.

The metal polisher can only do the outer rims as the inner/spokes are rough cast. These sections were painted by myself in a Hammerite silver to match the forks/swingarm. The highly polished outers look ace and dont need sealing coz the polishing process already does that. I also refrained from clear coating as this yellows over time and looks ****ty.

The tyre dealer then replaced the wheel bearing coz the acid dipping wrecks the old ones. Then the whole lot was assembled and voila - awesome looking wheels.

The total cost was :

tyre dealer r&r $ 60
wheel bearings $ 40
metal polisher $160
paint $ 20

total $280 ( us $140 )

ohhhh when I went back to show the polisher the bike he said he will do my header pipes for $60 as well.....

:D:D

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
errr sorry no pics yet. :(

I am off on holidays in a week and have just put a new roll in the camera ( sorry no hi-tec digitals here ) so I will take some pics and have them developed asap.

I agonised over the colour for the spokes ( kawa blue/ gloss black etc ) but settled on colourmatching the forks/swingarm to really highlight the polished rims.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Ok, we had some beautiful weather this weekend so I have taken some pics of my polished wheels ( and polished bike ).

I will get them posted asap

:)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I seen some chromed rims on a blue ZX somethingorother, and they looked real good. He had the swing arm polished also and that also looked good. But with all the black, I'm not sure if it would be something I would like. Have to see a picture first. Don't know that I would wanna take care of it all the time, either.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
I agree with you Martin, I'm not sure I want my ZR to be a "show bike" with all the cleaning that would be required. I tend to like the "hard ridden" look of my ZR the way it is now. Not to say I don't like the "green wheels" on the new ZX600r, etc. and the "Blue wheels" on past years' ZX7r's. And the aluminum colored wheels of the new Kawasaki's. To each his own. Tom

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i like to keep my bike clean but since i live at an apartment and have no hose it's not easy to clean the bike to start with, the wheels especially. but since the stock wheel color is almost exactly the same as the brake dust/road grime combo it's ok :)

scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts