RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if any So. Cal riders are interested in going to the charity Love Ride. I know it's mostly a cruiser thing, but this is a huge event that happens every year. Since this is my first year riding, I'd kinda like to attend. It's Nov. 11 (Next week). This year it benefits disaster relief for the NY attacks. Starts in Glendale and ends in Lake Castaic. Glendale is about 30 minutes from me. I think the minimum donation is only $50 bucks.

Not sure if I really am going to go or not, but it would be cool to do. It's got a bunch of celebrities and stuff, but I doubt you'll see any of them. It would be more to say you did something for charity.

Any comments?

Emrah

·
Registered
46 Posts
Emrah:

I tried to send you an e-mail a few weeks ago. I'm not really interested in the Love Ride, but I live in the Thousand Oaks area and would like to hook up for some local riding sometime. I ride with a group called the Canyondogs (http://www.canyondogs.com) and it would be cool to have another ZR7 ride with us sometime. Check out our site if your interested and drop me an email. You can find me under "the pack" named Underdog.

Mike

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. Works for me. Never got your email though. It's [email protected]

I usually ride Angeles Crest Highway (sometimes both ways (~60 miles each way), and other mountain ranges near me here. Been REALLY cold last week or two though. Since I'd been between jobs for almost 6 weeks, I had PLENTY of time to ride.

Start my new job tomorrow (Mon), and I don't know what weekends I'll have free. Although, I will email you or contact you here if I am. I'd really like to get together with a bunch of other riders too.

Emrah

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I just checked out your site. Pretty cool! I HAD to have passed you guys (going the other way of course) on the Crest by now! That whole road and Newcomb's Ranch is pretty cool.

Tell me about the track days though. How much does something like that cost? Do you take the Kawi to the track or ride something else? I didn't see your pics on track.

Do you need special mods to the bike? Like, do you need to safety-wire nuts and bolts and stuff. How much does a track day cost?

Don't even have leathers, but what I want to do is buy a used set, and get this - buy a 250 Ninja or something to thrash on. I wouldn't like to go down on the ZR-7 (too nice), but a small displacement bike like a 250 Ninja (used so it's cheap) would be neat for me. I wouldn't have to worry about damaging it (too much), and as wimpy as it sounds, I think for a beginner like me (on the track anyway), it would be more than fast enough, yet really light, agile and sporty.

What do you think?

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
How far are you guys from the Riverside area. It's about 1 1/2 hours from my house, and I'm willing to do the trip if either/both wanna hook up for a ride.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I don't wanna do the "Love Ride", I just love to ride.:cool:

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Upland. It's West of San Bernardino and NW of Riverside. I guess you'll have to look on a map for me to describe. Look up CA Hwy. 2 Angeles Crest Hwy, and the San Gabriel mountain range too to get an idea of how and where we/I ride. Would be cool if you could come out this way. I PROMISE you'll love these roads.

Emrah

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in Newbury Park (Thousand Oaks area). Its about 20 miles west of the San Fernando Valley towards Ventura. The Canyondogs meet in this area on Sundays usually at 7:00 AM and we ride all around this area, occasionally up the Angeles Crest, and sometimes up the 33 by Ojai.

As far as the track days go, I personally have not ridden one yet. I went last Monday to Willow Springs with they guys to take pictures for the web site (seehttp://www.canyondogs.com). I just didn't have the funds right now. Basically it costs $175.00 to ride the tracks for the day. They had 3 groups riding: beginners, intermediate, and expert. Each group got twenty minutes to ride. I would say that each group got in about 5 sessions during the course of the day. When I left there was still more time but only one guy wanted to ride any more, the rest were worn out.

I can't wait to ride a track on my bike. Sure, I will be getting smoked by almost everyone out there, but it looks like sooo much fun. Not having to worry about cars or cops!

Anyone interested in riding with me or the Canyondogs, just e-mail me and hopefully we can get together some time. You really should try to make it up here if you can, there are some great canyon roads to ride. And on the weekends you can take a ride to the world famous "Rock Store" (I've seen Arnold Swartzeneger and Tom Arnold there several times), grab some breakfast then hit the twisties. Man, I love it!

Later,
Mike
[email protected]

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
It looks like I'm closer to Emrah. But that doesn't mean we can't all hook-up someplace. E-mail me if you wanna go. I'm good for just about any day this coming week-end. I'm also taking the week after Thanksgiving off, so if you wanna get a ride in during the week, I think I can handle that too.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts